Like Tree277Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

    Hide Wikipost
Old 01-31-2019, 11:39 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Cain
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 AM
  #4351  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,583
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HotRod127 View Post
what all parts would i need to make this work on my car? thanks for the help
YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I

You also need to either drill the kit chassis or replace it with the revised one.

For the record, I haven't run this trans myself. I have friends who have, but most of them are using the standard trans raised 2mm, which is the setup that Ryan and Ryan have been running.
Bob Barry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM
  #4352  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I

You also need to either drill the kit chassis or replace it with the revised one.

For the record, I haven't run this trans myself. I have friends who have, but most of them are using the standard trans raised 2mm, which is the setup that Ryan and Ryan have been running.
You can not run the Truck trans in the buggy!!!!
The rear arms will hit the spur gear. Thats why the new car wont come as quick. The rear arms have to be altered, like the truck ones.
smrcboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:15 PM
  #4353  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,583
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

yes you can. you need to shave the arm. I forgot that part. Like I said, I never tried this myself, so I missed that step.
Cain likes this.
Bob Barry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 AM
  #4354  
Tech Regular
 
antlockyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Coast of England
Posts: 355
Default

Hi all, new to off road, been racing onroad 12th and TC for a couple of years. There is a second hand YZ2 available with 3 gear transmission, gear diff, gull wing arms etc.

I'll be driving on an outdoor Astro track. Is the CAL2 going to be that much better for me as a newbie or will the hopped up YZ2 be ok? the only thing drawing me to the older car other than the price is it also comes with an upright gear housing and ball diff in case I need those for low grip if I travel to a different track.

Thanks in advance
antlockyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:26 AM
  #4355  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 255
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by antlockyer View Post
Hi all, new to off road, been racing onroad 12th and TC for a couple of years. There is a second hand YZ2 available with 3 gear transmission, gear diff, gull wing arms etc.

I'll be driving on an outdoor Astro track. Is the CAL2 going to be that much better for me as a newbie or will the hopped up YZ2 be ok? the only thing drawing me to the older car other than the price is it also comes with an upright gear housing and ball diff in case I need those for low grip if I travel to a different track.

Thanks in advance
It sounds to me like the YZ2 your looking it is a CA? I think the original yz2 had the flat front arms, 4 gear, and a gear diff, and the CA had the gull arms, 3 gear and gear diff. I think the easiest way to tell might be the rear arms, if they have s4 stamped in them ( I think that was a ca change too), and if it has the gull wing shock tower up front, which I think you are supposed to use if using the gull arms.

Either way, as a newbie, I don't think you will see much difference, if a hopped up yz2, yz2 ca, or a cal2. Eventually you will want the ca or cal2, but you could also upgrade the parts along the way I think.
{tpc} is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:48 AM
  #4356  
Tech Regular
 
antlockyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Coast of England
Posts: 355
Default

Cool thank you. I've said I'll take it. I'll see how much use it gets and if I'm any good

Very excited I've not driven a buggy since the 80s
antlockyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
  #4357  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a house
Posts: 246
Default Knightmare day

Well we just got eos carpet so the grip has jumped up a lot....never had a problem before but today did 2 sets of slipper pads had to use the original 3 pad set from the old yz2 due to not having any more spurs....
so had a bad set of runs....
anyway been trying 2 gears in the diff high capacity 6k not sure if I like it car used to be in the top finals now it feels like a bag of crap...used long wheelbase and moved the shims on the wishbone tried rp dirt orange and green but car donít feel as good basically has lee martins daun and not sure but now car wouldnít not steer how I like it
sort of wondering if itís all down to running 2 gears and 6 k...
what does everyone think and what does it do by running 2 gears over 4...
thanks
Quietman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
  #4358  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (71)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post

For the record, I haven't run this trans myself. I have friends who have, but most of them are using the standard trans raised 2mm, which is the setup that Ryan and Ryan have been running.

From the recent pics I have seen that go along with the setup sheets found on petit, that they are running the LD trans from the truck. Maifield 2019 CRCRC for example shows no rear chassis weight that comes standard with the DTM2, using steel RF block, truck steering linkage, etc. I can't make out if there are new rear arms or whether they are dremeled for clearance (or does raising the LD trans 2mm negate the need to dremel the arms?)

I think at this point the setups found online need to be taken with a grain of salt because they aren't the same cars as most of us are running.
negatv1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
  #4359  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 297
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by negatv1 View Post
From the recent pics I have seen that go along with the setup sheets found on petit, that they are running the LD trans from the truck. Maifield 2019 CRCRC for example shows no rear chassis weight that comes standard with the DTM2, using steel RF block, truck steering linkage, etc. I can't make out if there are new rear arms or whether they are dremeled for clearance (or does raising the LD trans 2mm negate the need to dremel the arms?)

I think at this point the setups found online need to be taken with a grain of salt because they aren't the same cars as most of us are running.
They are using a new laydown transmission case. It is Not the truck transmission. An easy way to tell is look at the waterfall holes on the chassis, it is mounted forward of the truck holes.
Rhett McNair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
  #4360  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (71)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Ok, yep just noticed the waterfall mounting holes. As for raising the transmission, are they using a 2mm spacer under the RF block as well as the RR block? Seems like raising the rear block only would change the anti squat.
negatv1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 AM
  #4361  
Tech Apprentice
 
Will27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 50
Default

Originally Posted by negatv1 View Post
Ok, yep just noticed the waterfall mounting holes. As for raising the transmission, are they using a 2mm spacer under the RF block as well as the RR block? Seems like raising the rear block only would change the anti squat.
I don't think they are raising the suspension mounts, this would change the rear roll centre dramatically.

With the new type gearbox I don't think they are raising it, I suspect they are using the diff cams to raise the diff up 2mm inside the gearbox and the setup sheet is showing how to achieve similar settings with the old gearbox / motor plate / rear tower. The aim is to adjust the diff height.
Will27 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service