Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Old 11-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I do hope a WC edition will come out soon
fpart likes this.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any differences between Yokomo and AE piston dimensions? I have several AE pistons and they look the same, but haven't precisely measured.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
To be honest, if your not running on a sugared track with the wrong tires, that setup sheet wont do jack for you. with regards to taping in the battery and not running the battery brace, it's for flex reasons, the car is still pretty much carpet oriented, and that battery brace adds to the extreme stiffness of the rear end. I taped my battery in with 2 25 gram weight plates underneath in both my mod, and stock buggies and immediately noticed a huge change in handling. Car was less edgy, more forgiving when missing a downside on the jumps, and was just all around easier to drive. And no chassis tweak. Maybe lucky, maybe I know how to check up and not slam into a wall.
I noticed Lee Martin not using a battery brace so I looked into why one may not use it. I race on high grip Turf and having little more flex is a good thing. I feel your comment just led me to decide to try it out at my my next club race.
jpcopeland1 likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iDesign5
Yes the manual says the 4 short ones are the only ones used in the kit. However if you look at the large majority of DTM sheets, they either show the medium or long used. I did say short not medium in my above post
I wish they would add the shortest option to the settings sheet. I use the shortest eyelets myself and move to the longest in the front only when using the outside hole on the arm with the same shaft length I use for the middle hole. This keeps nearly the identical down travel when making the change.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Any differences between Yokomo and AE piston dimensions? I have several AE pistons and they look the same, but haven't precisely measured.
I use the AE pistons in my Yokomo shocks all the time.
Woulvesbaine likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bought a YZ-2 about two years ago to run on carpet/astro. It was the original version. The local track closed and I went back to racing dirt. Now a new local astro track opened and I want to dust off this car and start racing it. Don't need it to be perfect, but would like to be reasonably competitive. Only upgrades I have from two years ago are gullwing front arms and the corresponding shock tower. I have pretty much the full assortment of yatabe springs from back then.

1. are there any upgrades I should definitely get now?

2. What setup sheet would be a good starting point?

Thanks for any help...
Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rasheed
I bought a YZ-2 about two years ago to run on carpet/astro. It was the original version. The local track closed and I went back to racing dirt. Now a new local astro track opened and I want to dust off this car and start racing it. Don't need it to be perfect, but would like to be reasonably competitive. Only upgrades I have from two years ago are gullwing front arms and the corresponding shock tower. I have pretty much the full assortment of yatabe springs from back then.

1. are there any upgrades I should definitely get now?

2. What setup sheet would be a good starting point?

Thanks for any help...
I think that car came with all the aluminum steering already. And aluminum front camber link. I think shapeways sells a kit for like 15 so you can run the rear alloy camber link. Ive had the rear balls pull out of the plastic ones. I ran that car on carpet box stock with no weight added and it gets amazing grip on carpet. Maybe one plate under the battery. And I hear people run the steel front suspension mount for added steering on carpet That car got better grip then any other 2wd I've ever ran. Better then the carpet editon. I wish I knew the differences in this car than say the current carpet edition. The only thing I can think of would be the chassis.

Last edited by Pekr.da.skurl; 11-28-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pekr.da.skurl
I think that car came with all the aluminum steering already. And aluminum front camber link. I think shapeways sells a kit for like 15 so you can run the rear alloy camber link. Ive had the rear balls pull out of the plastic ones. I ran that car on carpet box stock with no weight added and it gets amazing grip on carpet. Maybe one plate under the battery. And I hear people run the steel front suspension mount for added steering on carpet That car got better grip then any other 2wd I ran. Better the carpet editon. I wish I knew the differences in this car and say the current carpet edition. The only thing I can think of would be the chassis.
The big thing that would be different between the the original and ca isn't the chassis its the 4 gear trans vs the 3 gear.
Pekr.da.skurl likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was wondering... Is it too late in the life cycle of this buggy to get one? I want to try out the CA version. I just don’t want to get one and a new one drops right after.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgerber
The big thing that would be different between the the original and ca isn't the chassis its the 4 gear trans vs the 3 gear.
To expand, the CA chassis only adds the new holes for the DT and nothing else.

Derek - Would buy the three gear conversion to unbind the rear and just go for it. I haven't ran at Kevin's track yet so don't really have an idea of where it's at to point you towards an appropriate setup sheet. Andy Dibrino's laptimes look good there and he's running the car with the battery strap as of last time I talked to him so he could probably get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Stobert2012
I was wondering... Is it too late in the life cycle of this buggy to get one? I want to try out the CA version. I just don’t want to get one and a new one drops right after.
Not at all - it looks like most of the newer parts were developed with an eye more towards the lesser grip market and you still won't find a car that comes more prepared for the surface it's being sold for, i.e. all the alum, etc. I would expect a newly re-packaged version to arrive shortly but I wouldn't wait for it, especially not for the tracks I know you run at.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:34 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Buying a used yz2 for clay: better idea to get the CA for the aluminum and upgrade to DTM? Anyone know approximate cost to do this? Thx
Old 11-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I did my car from CA to full DTM including all the hop ups that they have on the car now and it wasn't cheap. I probably spent 250+. I honestly didn't keep track.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
To expand, the CA chassis only adds the new holes for the DT and nothing else.

Derek - Would buy the three gear conversion to unbind the rear and just go for it. I haven't ran at Kevin's track yet so don't really have an idea of where it's at to point you towards an appropriate setup sheet. Andy Dibrino's laptimes look good there and he's running the car with the battery strap as of last time I talked to him so he could probably get you pointed in the right direction.
is this what I need to get the 3 gear?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...-302c3/p493848
Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rasheed
is this what I need to get the 3 gear?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...-302c3/p493848
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.