Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
The track I posted? There's holes in there that are big enough to make a Truggy disappear. That video was taken right after the track being fixed. It breaks up really bad, but that's fun for 8th scale.

Here's the only pic I have on me right now of the actual 10th scale track. This is just what we race on up here.

And no one, puts calcium in their tracks. CRC up in Rome NY (5 hours away) was the last track that used to do it and they stopped after last year. It destroys your cars. I think it's just the climate / dirt.

What it comes down to is this area is not a 10th scale area. The guys who run 10th scale all year round make up maybe 20% of the racers. We're a very big electric 8th scale area (and nitro for that matter). Around October all the 8th scale guys start shifting to indoor 10th scale.
That pic shows better detail and I see what you're saying and I have no idea what calcium can do to cars because here we have one of the largest 8th scale tracks in the country and they use calcium, as does springs. While it can cause parts to rust, it's the responsibility of the racers to clean and maintain their gear. All you need to do is spray either WD-40 or Liquid Wrench on metal parts to clean and protect them and you wont have any issues. We use Simple green to clean our cars and that tends to be corrosive on metal but since we follow that up with proper cleaning and maintenance, all of our cars remain pristine.

The other alternative to calcium is literally sugar water to assist the track in maintaining it's complexion and I know years ago tracks here mixed some sort of starch in their sugar water because it helped things stay tacky for a bit longer, but I have no idea what type of starch they used.
Bob Barry likes this.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
That pic shows better detail and I see what you're saying and I have no idea what calcium can do to cars because here we have one of the largest 8th scale tracks in the country and they use calcium, as does springs. While it can cause parts to rust, it's the responsibility of the racers to clean and maintain their gear. All you need to do is spray either WD-40 or Liquid Wrench on metal parts to clean and protect them and you wont have any issues. We use Simple green to clean our cars and that tends to be corrosive on metal but since we follow that up with proper cleaning and maintenance, all of our cars remain pristine.

The other alternative to calcium is literally sugar water to assist the track in maintaining it's complexion and I know years ago tracks here mixed some sort of starch in their sugar water because it helped things stay tacky for a bit longer, but I have no idea what type of starch they used.
yeah we just don't have the volume of 10th scale racers up here during the summer for it to work. 10th scale here (for the most part) in the summer consists of 'you can run it if you get 5 and want to'. So they don't cater the tracks towards them. And personally if you told me an 8th scale track was going to sugar or throw calcium down, I wouldn't run on it often. As an 8th scale racer, I don't want high grip. I want rough track, roost, big jumps, whoops, etc.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well then my firend I guess you're stuck.

However, I will point out that just because you treat a track to accommodate all scales, it doesn't mean you're catering to any one. 8th scale vehicles are such that treated or not, they WILL impose their will as they so please and they will tear up tracks almost as much as they do non-treated tracks. It may take a bit longer to do (maybe 3 heats) and the chaos they inflict may be not be to such a great degree, but trust me when I tell you, it wont be much different than what you guys already have.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asalas
Hi there,

I just got a DTM and was wondering if anybody could recommned an aluminium servo horn or servo saver. I don't like the stock composite ones.

I am going to copy Lee M's winning setup as my local track is similar to that italian one (half the size though). However, are there any optional parts i should be getting? Only functinal ones, I dont care about aesthetic as the buggy is really good looking as it is.

Thank you 👍
I am going to be trying the Ruddog horn here. I mounted it up and am using the shorter position which was stated to be 16mm. From what I can tell when setting my throw it reaches just enough to get full lock to lock at maximum throw settings on my radio (120% Futaba 3PV) on one side and the horn is pretty centered realtive to the wheels.

I think it will work out and offers a 20mm option too all on one horn.

As for hopups, I am really liking the Jconcepts Shapeways Elephant trunk or whatever they call it. Offers good flex.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does anyone have a list of parts needed to upgrade a YZ-2 DT to the DTM? If so I would appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

How's the yz2 out of the box on carpet. Finally have a carpet track coming in where I am. Wondering if I should convert my rb6.6 to gear diff and push the battery forward or just pick up a used CA. Any thoughts on how it is out of the box or what needs to be done to the buggy? Thx much
Old 08-01-2017, 06:33 AM
Tech Legend

Will look into posting some specific setup info today on my "black dirt" testing with the DTM still using the 3 gear laydown transmission.

I think I am at a point where the vehicles feels very consistent, enough that any issues with rear traction I am almost willing to say are tire selection based or only need a minor setup tweak. I may try a few more things but it would be more so to get the range of tires from having to be very specific to having other options that work for other cars to be "good" if that makes sense.

At this time though, biggest changes I made were:

- Rear toe
- height of ball stud on rear brace
- Rear link length
- Rear Link position (forward versus rearward)
- Weight

This is all on a track where when wet, a step pin tire would be ideal. I am also running a front wing for more on power steering too.

The driving style I am seeing the buggy likes with my changes are to allow offpower rotation or lower throttle onpower rotation then punch it (using throttle control) after the turn has been completed. The steering is such that is very fast but in general controllable. And the rear is very planted coming into a high speed turn where you let of slightly at the end most likely due to the downforce of the rear wing.

The only parts right now where it gets squirelly are if I end up out of the line or try to punch it too soon on a hairpin turn. But even then, still feels like tire selection at some point.

I am also using a very high torque motor so with something more standard maybe what I am seeing for when the rear breaks free is a non-issue.

Also, the Ruddog servo horn I am liking a lot in the shorter position. Very nice upgrade.

Anyone know if the Mckune Tranny shims will work on the YZ2 DTMs? If so, and you have some to sell, message me.

Last edited by Cain; 08-01-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default CA on Carpet

Originally Posted by JAE
How's the yz2 out of the box on carpet. Finally have a carpet track coming in where I am. Wondering if I should convert my rb6.6 to gear diff and push the battery forward or just pick up a used CA. Any thoughts on how it is out of the box or what needs to be done to the buggy? Thx much
Out of the box, the CA is near perfect. I have made some minor changes to the stock setup on mine following Lee Martin's EOS base setup minus some of the battery weights he uses. It is stuck like glue to our ozite track... using Proline Primes no less.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MarkA
Going back a few pages to the ST discussion, these (see pic) packaged conversions arrived at my local track/shop yesterday. Part# should be visible on that pic so yours can order them as well if you are interested or you can contact the place linked to and they can get you that info.
Very interested to see pics of the converted vehicles. Going to the factory works webiste cannot see any info.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Thx - what changed did you make to kit and what impact did they have? Good news

Originally Posted by Banshee8530
Out of the box, the CA is near perfect. I have made some minor changes to the stock setup on mine following Lee Martin's EOS base setup minus some of the battery weights he uses. It is stuck like glue to our ozite track... using Proline Primes no less.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Very interested to see pics of the converted vehicles. Going to the factory works webiste cannot see any info.
Paging Momo - post some pics of yours.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fpart
Does anyone have a list of parts needed to upgrade a YZ-2 DT to the DTM? If so I would appreciate it.
I'm sure I missed a few small things but these are the biggies:

YOKZ2-206DM
YOKZ2-302D3M
YOKZ2-413DM
YOKZ2-300RM
YOKZ2-415RDM
YOKZ2-01065M
YOKZ2-414
fpart likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I'm sure I missed a few small things but these are the biggies:

YOKZ2-206DM
YOKZ2-302D3M
YOKZ2-413DM
YOKZ2-300RM
YOKZ2-415RDM
YOKZ2-01065M
YOKZ2-414
Yep, what Randy said plus the following few:

YOKZ2-010BCM
YOKZ2-304C
YOKZ2-415RL x 2
YOKZ2-018 (Factory RC also makes a rear shock tower if you want to go that route).
fpart likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
Not sure if this is the same thing as you guys are discussing in the thread, but I think this link has the images you are looking for on the ST:

MLRC www.yokomo.se
Old 08-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Tech Legend

stadium truck conversion

Factory Works Yokomo YZ2 CA Stadium Truck Conversion kit | eBay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.