R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

Print Wikipost

Like Tree124Likes

Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #2686
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
Nice! I essentially did the same as you. I picked up some purple Schuey Titanium TB's for dirt cheap 60mm which I trimmed down the steering TB to 52mm the front and rear camber I left the TB's at 60mm. Bought 3 pairs new for $12
Nice!

Kyosho ball cups bent easily as well, especially on the SC6. I ended up doing the same thing and getting longer turnbuckles once I had the setup dialed in.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #2687
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk1115 View Post
Nice!

Kyosho ball cups bent easily as well, especially on the SC6. I ended up doing the same thing and getting longer turnbuckles once I had the setup dialed in.
I agrre my friend. The Yoshi ballcups on my SC6 bent bad as well. Like wise I threw on some longer tb's.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #2688
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Nice!

Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with you there on the Kyosho ball cups. They are by far and large the best and most robust ball cups I've ever run across. So strong in fact that I switched all my ballcups in my Dex410 with Lunsford turnbuckles and I ended up bending one from a massive impact that brok the left rear arm and bent the aluminum RF Suspension hanger!

The ball cup was the only thing that was left holding everything together. I've run AE, Losi, Kyosho, RPM, Durango, Hobby-Pro (EXCELLENT BALL CUPS), Yokomo and a few others, and Kyosho/TLR are head and shoulders ether than all of them.

Not sure why you or anyone else feels they're not strong and/or can bend easily.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM

Last edited by the incubus; 01-26-2017 at 08:47 PM.
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #2689
Tech Addict

Quote:
It is interesting to see other manufacturer parts on the Yokomo platform. RM is a fully sponsored driver by Yokomo. I wonder if Yokomo is a little bit more relaxed when compared to other brands when it comes to sponsored drivers running other manufacturer parts on the cars they are supposed to promote/represent. I have never seen AE, Kyohso, or TLR drivers "cross the streams"...
You haven't looked hard enough ;-)

For one, TLR team drivers (and even the 22 series program manager) are always listing AE, Kyosho, or Yokomo springs on their setup! I've also had a team guy tell me I had to use AE spring cups on the22SCT 2.0 to achieve the kit setup ride height in the front (until TLR came out with their own +4mm spring cups). The current setup for the 22-4 2.0 uses an AE angled ball cup in order to clear the shocks if you want to run the rear shocks on the front of the arms... and that comes from the 22 series program manager!

So yes, it happens. Probably quite more than you realize.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #2690
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with you there on the Kyosho ball cups. They are by far and large the best and most robust ball cups I've ever run across. So strong in fact that I switched all my ballcups in my Dex410 with Lunsford turnbuckles and I ended up bending one from a massive impact that brok the left rear arm and bent the aluminum RF Suspension hanger!

The ball cup was the only thing that was left holding everything together. I've run AE, Losi, Kyosho, RPM, Durango, Hobby-Pro (EXCELLENT BALL CUPS), Yokomo and a few others, and Kyosho/TLR are head and shoulders ether than all of them.

Not sure why you or anyone else feels they're not strong and/or can bend easily.
My only issue with the Kyosho ball cups is that the soft plastic that is used to make them could bend on my SC6. It was due to the kit turnbuckles being too short. The camber and steering links are significantly longer on SCTs and STs when compared to a buggy. Trucks are also heavier than buggies. The Lunsford turnbuckle kit made specifically for the SC6 had links that were significantly longer than the ones that came in the kit. Once I installed the longer turnbuckles, any bending issues were solved.

Any potential bending issues on ball cups that use a softer plastics like Kyosho and Yokomo can be resolved by using longer turnbuckles.

I speak from experience on this subject as a seasoned racer who has owned multiple brands of RC cars as well...
Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #2691
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
You haven't looked hard enough ;-)

For one, TLR team drivers (and even the 22 series program manager) are always listing AE, Kyosho, or Yokomo springs on their setup! I've also had a team guy tell me I had to use AE spring cups on the22SCT 2.0 to achieve the kit setup ride height in the front (until TLR came out with their own +4mm spring cups). The current setup for the 22-4 2.0 uses an AE angled ball cup in order to clear the shocks if you want to run the rear shocks on the front of the arms... and that comes from the 22 series program manager!

So yes, it happens. Probably quite more than you realize.
That is interesting! Maybe I have not looked hard enough. In talks with some chassis sponsored drivers at my local track, I was under the impression that there are some rules that need to be followed otherwise sponsorships could be revoked. From the examples you have it appears that "crossing the streams" is needed at time to achieve the best setups.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #2692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Again, I've never seen a "soft" Kyosho or TLR Ball Cup, both of which are seemingly identical and Ultra-tough.

As for short turnbuckles, ANY ball cup with a short turnbuckle can and will bend as you describe so that's NOT the fault or flaw of the ball cup itself, rather the engineering of component as a whole.

Kokomo Ball Cups are indeed SOFT because once you pop one off, it will continue to pop off with the slightest of stress placed upon that corner of the car. In early 2016 I had some tool smack into me as I was leading my 2nd qualifier (it was wet and soggy and really loose and NOTHING had the traction and grip my plain ole YZ-2 had) and popped off my left front steering cup and from then on just turning with significant grip would cause the cup to pop off. Being as my car was so new all I had were Yokomo cups on hand and I replaced it and it was fine from hen on. Then a few weeks later at a oval club race I hit a triple Juuuuust short of perfect and sine it went directly into a right handed hairpin I started to turn and the front tires bit hard and I traction rolled under braking entering the apex. When the turn marshall flipped it back the car slump over to the left… Another ball cup popped off. From hen on it would pop off just as the first one did.

Kyosho cups NEVER do that unless an impact is so great it fractures and that's extremely rare.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #2693
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Also the ball will wear and need replacing periodically especially if you run outdoor, worn ball joints will pop cups. Personally I like the Yokomo ball cups over Kyosho cause I can stick my hex driver in to add or remove washers to my camber links for roll center changes without popping them off.

ballcups are designed to pop out after the crash to save other parts of the car. If you break a turnbuckle or something nearby without the cup popping then its not doing its job. As I said on certain high grip carpet tracks, use the white ones but other than that the black ones are fine on clay or dirt.

There's also the option of getting captured links if you never want one to pop.
zzztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #2694
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

Quote:
It is interesting to see other manufacturer parts on the Yokomo platform. RM is a fully sponsored driver by Yokomo. I wonder if Yokomo is a little bit more relaxed when compared to other brands when it comes to sponsored drivers running other manufacturer parts on the cars they are supposed to promote/represent. I have never seen AE, Kyohso, or TLR drivers "cross the streams"...
In 1/8 buggy nitro, AE ran kyosho shocks at the worlds one year.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #2695
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Again, I've never seen a "soft" Kyosho or TLR Ball Cup, both of which are seemingly identical and Ultra-tough.

As for short turnbuckles, ANY ball cup with a short turnbuckle can and will bend as you describe so that's NOT the fault or flaw of the ball cup itself, rather the engineering of component as a whole.

Kokomo Ball Cups are indeed SOFT because once you pop one off, it will continue to pop off with the slightest of stress placed upon that corner of the car. In early 2016 I had some tool smack into me as I was leading my 2nd qualifier (it was wet and soggy and really loose and NOTHING had the traction and grip my plain ole YZ-2 had) and popped off my left front steering cup and from then on just turning with significant grip would cause the cup to pop off. Being as my car was so new all I had were Yokomo cups on hand and I replaced it and it was fine from hen on. Then a few weeks later at a oval club race I hit a triple Juuuuust short of perfect and sine it went directly into a right handed hairpin I started to turn and the front tires bit hard and I traction rolled under braking entering the apex. When the turn marshall flipped it back the car slump over to the left… Another ball cup popped off. From hen on it would pop off just as the first one did.

Kyosho cups NEVER do that unless an impact is so great it fractures and that's extremely rare.
It appears we have different experiences regarding ball cups. I have removed Yokomo ball cups many times to adjust the settings on my cars and they DO NOT pop off all the time as you describe. I have had Kyosho and Yokomo ball cups bend due to turnbuckle length and that was the only issues I had with them. Never had any popping off issues with either. I don't think I ever said it was a fault/flaw of the part. I get around the issues I see by using a longer turnbuckle. I agree that parts are designed they way they are designed.

The last time I had ball cup issues was back in the B4/SC10 days... We have come a long way since then...
Old 01-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #2696
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzztech View Post
Also the ball will wear and need replacing periodically especially if you run outdoor, worn ball joints will pop cups. Personally I like the Yokomo ball cups over Kyosho cause I can stick my hex driver in to add or remove washers to my camber links for roll center changes without popping them off.

ballcups are designed to pop out after the crash to save other parts of the car. If you break a turnbuckle or something nearby without the cup popping then its not doing its job. As I said on certain high grip carpet tracks, use the white ones but other than that the black ones are fine on clay or dirt.

There's also the option of getting captured links if you never want one to pop.
Totally agree here. Kyosho need to update their ball cups to have a hole to facilitate faster adjustments. Not sure why they haven't done this, but Kyosho is typically slow in terms of changes...
Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #2697
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
In 1/8 buggy nitro, AE ran kyosho shocks at the worlds one year.
Top Shelf!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #2698
Tech Regular

A great addition to yokomo team!

Atsushi hara! What are your thoughts on his arrival?

//cheers, www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #2699
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

HELP I have recently purchased the yz2 dt edition and on my build have realized the rear left dogbone 60.50 mm hits the t nut inside the outdrive as i compress the shock. is there a solution to fix this ? thanx in advance
slothracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #2700
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothracing View Post
HELP I have recently purchased the yz2 dt edition and on my build have realized the rear left dogbone 60.50 mm hits the t nut inside the outdrive as i compress the shock. is there a solution to fix this ? thanx in advance
Have you set your camber right? May be too much negative camber?
zzztech is offline   Reply With Quote