Like Tree286Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

    Hide Wikipost
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mes
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old 12-20-2015, 05:49 AM
  #1741  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Yes, using bmax rear arms. Didn't try the shorter wheelbase.
hyperdive08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:03 AM
  #1742  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Another issue is the track we run at has 2 sections of small "ripples" that upsets the far quite easily, meaning the rear of the car will buck and kick one way or the other..

Yataba yellow front, green rear
37 and 30 wt oils.
hyperdive08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:04 AM
  #1743  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hyperdive08 View Post
Another issue is the track we run at has 2 sections of small "ripples" that upsets the far quite easily, meaning the rear of the car will buck and kick one way or the other..

Yataba yellow front, green rear
37 and 30 wt oils.
If you really want to gain rear grip you can pick up these tranny shims from Mckune Design

http://mckunedesign.com/parts/yokomo/yz2_shims_set

Instant rear traction!

Are you using machined or stock pistons?
joeymdz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:08 AM
  #1744  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Machined pistons all around, diamond coated shafts.
hyperdive08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:43 PM
  #1745  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 206
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

rear shocks are rear mounted?
Gordie88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 PM
  #1746  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (30)
 
HSV427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 683
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
If you really want to gain rear grip you can pick up these tranny shims from Mckune Design

http://mckunedesign.com/parts/yokomo/yz2_shims_set

Instant rear traction!

Are you using machined or stock pistons?
Contemplating getting these, do they really give you instant traction, will they help on a medium grip track.
HSV427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:15 PM
  #1747  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HSV427 View Post
Contemplating getting these, do they really give you instant traction, will they help on a medium grip track.
Yes... lots of forward drive. Been using the 2mm shim for a couple of months now with no complaints
joeymdz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:37 PM
  #1748  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,168
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Anyone had some success finding a setup to keep the rear end planted just after the apex of a tight turn when getting on power quickly? No matter what I have tried, the only resolve is patience to get squared up first. Those McKune spacers didn't do anything, weights didn't help, tried several camber locations and spacers w/o luck. I've driven other buggies and none seem to have this issue. Med bite turf. Car is fast, but it (I) could be faster if I can find the answer to this.
8ight-e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:57 PM
  #1749  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (141)
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,137
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

this car was designed for high traction astro.

your kidding yourself and wasting time finding a setup to work in conditions other than this.....

bmax gearbox helps a tonne however
hacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:08 AM
  #1750  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
WillS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,202
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
Anyone had some success finding a setup to keep the rear end planted just after the apex of a tight turn when getting on power quickly? No matter what I have tried, the only resolve is patience to get squared up first. Those McKune spacers didn't do anything, weights didn't help, tried several camber locations and spacers w/o luck. I've driven other buggies and none seem to have this issue. Med bite turf. Car is fast, but it (I) could be faster if I can find the answer to this.
Do the ymax conversion. Whats going on with you sounds like a lot like my experiences that were solved as soon as I went to the ymax.
WillS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:53 AM
  #1751  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
Anyone had some success finding a setup to keep the rear end planted just after the apex of a tight turn when getting on power quickly? No matter what I have tried, the only resolve is patience to get squared up first. Those McKune spacers didn't do anything, weights didn't help, tried several camber locations and spacers w/o luck. I've driven other buggies and none seem to have this issue. Med bite turf. Car is fast, but it (I) could be faster if I can find the answer to this.

What's your setup? We have 2 turf tracks out here ranging from med to high bite
joeymdz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:03 AM
  #1752  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,067
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
this car was designed for high traction astro.

your kidding yourself and wasting time finding a setup to work in conditions other than this.....

bmax gearbox helps a tonne however
I was just thinking about getting this car then started looking at the pics and saw how the tranny was layed down and wondered if it was designed for carpet. So there aren't any setups that would make this car good in low traction conditions?
I was also looking at the xb2... which has 2 versions one for dirt one for carpet. I like the look of the yokomo and the replacement/upgrade parts aren't as high priced as xray but if it can't be setup for dirt I guess I have no option. I have no carpet tracks around here at all.
Slapjack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:10 AM
  #1753  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,168
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
What's your setup? We have 2 turf tracks out here ranging from med to high bite
I've tried several, derived from the kit base, my own and even some pro's. If you have a proven good setup i'd be willing to give it a shot.
8ight-e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:31 AM
  #1754  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
I've tried several, derived from the kit base, my own and even some pro's. If you have a proven good setup i'd be willing to give it a shot.
I'm using Lee Martin's warm up setup with a few tweaks. On your local turf track what tires are you running
joeymdz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 AM
  #1755  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,168
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
I'm using Lee Martin's warm up setup with a few tweaks. On your local turf track what tires are you running
I'm close to that setup as well,, same few tweaks. Low profile cut staggar fronts and yellow mini pin or spike rears.
8ight-e is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service