Wiki Posts
Search

Onfa lx2e 1/8 buggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Onfa lx2e 1/8 buggy

Ok its $175 at tower. Since most 1/8 buggies i see run around $200 used is this just a piece of junk?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Not a terrible platform if you just want to get into 1/8 with a new car.

The Ofna (Jammin') 16mm shocks have always been awesome.

However, the plastics are softer and a lot of the metal materials aren't hardened. So on one hand the Ofna's tradiationally are pretty tough to a point.

On the other hand, in the long run, you'd be a little better off to wait for someones used, but freshened pro-grade buggy.

AE 8.2, MBX7, MP9, etc.

There just a lot of small issues like soft bolts/threads not holding in plastics that eventually will get on you if you're looking to be really competitive.

I raced an Ultra LX worlds car for 3 years with great success way back in the day when it first came out. But the car was held together with wood screws and shoe-goo.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Unlikely I will ever race it. I dont race now as I work every weekend. Even if I started I would most likely run my b4 or sc10 for awhile. I mainly just want something to tinker with and might hit the track on a practice day or something.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Ive had my ofna for 3-4 years now and never had any issues w soft plastics or hardware. parts IMO very durable ! Only broke 1 caster block.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The ofna is ok, but I think u should purchase a used mugen Eco 6 that is in EXcellent condition for the same coin.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

My son has the LX2E. It's holding up just fine. You get a lot for the $180. I find it a very quality car at a good value. We have broken nothing ten packs or so through.

My son is 17, and it will not likely be raced competitively. I wouldn't expect it to be competitive out of the box.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Stuff from Ofna is fun to play around with but not really competitive for racing. If you just want to zip up and down the street and run around the years, this car will work fine. Parts are relatively cheap and the car is pretty durable right out of the box.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Additionally I have found the Hoboa stuff to be better quality than the Hong Nor stuff I have seen come out of OFNA. I was really pleased with what they provided with the LX2E all the way around. Zero complaints.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Another issue, cost to complete. You can get the Hyper SSe, RTR for right at $300. Even being thrifty, and on a High School students budget, my son is sitting about $350 to get his running. That was without batts. We split the cost of SPC packs.

At the $350 range, you can get a used vehicle of "higher quality".

Just food for thought. I'm very happy with our OFNA rigs.