Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Offroad Worlds on astro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifter_73
Ok, so there is no point in continuing to argue about turf vs dirt as its now a changed rule, its done and over with.
The thing now is the usa manufactures going to have to develop new tires an quick. thats one thing that will hurt the usa racers. if pro line, jconcepts, aka ect dont have tires that work then are racers will be at a unfair advantage.
Control tires?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Davidka
1/10 Off-road World's have been held many times in Europe, all on dirt. The 87' event was in Romsey, UK, 89' was in Wales, 93' was in Basildon, UK. It has been held twice in Finland as well. There is plenty of dirt in Europe.
BTW, 1989 was held in St Ives in New South Wales in the very non European Australia
Old 12-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Tech Rookie

I don't see where astroturf is any worse than sugar. RC Off road is moving towards on road more and more. Both in the track surface, and car design.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdwaeracer
Off road belongs on dirt!! Never seen any off road race with real vehicles run on artificial surface.
Ahem:

http://youtu.be/zlSE2surOW8?t=56m38s
Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Fact is, the fast guys are gonna be fast.

Doesn't really matter what surface.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
Haha, I was thinking about that as well. Supermoto comes to mind as well as the Rally Cross stuff RedBull is doing.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Yes it does
Old 12-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I see the suspension package of the old rc10Worlds car getting a revamp for kicking ass at the 2015 IFMAR Astroturf Worlds! They were great on carpet!

Great find!
If you read the description and the comments.. that's the "beginning" of that series. Their start. Before they became so popular.

Here's a race from 2014.. ah, look.. rooster tails and flying dirt!! OMG.. how can they race competitively on such an inconsistent surface - driving ability! lol
Wow.. and the buggies aren't even running wings for traction! How can it be competitive without perfect traction and every lap consistency.. crazy!!
SC
http://youtu.be/xz2uK1UUsZU

2wd Buggy
http://vimeo.com/108740962

I thought Rally Racing is really big in the UK, and those crazy adrenalin junkies just fly & slide on everything.. consistency is not an issue for them.

What would the STIG do?!?!

Just to be fair.. I searched "Pro Buggy" astroturf and found this.. I LIKE this track, but it would be too "inconsistent" for todays Worlds Level Drivers. It looks fun though!
http://youtu.be/u7rk4t6mFnE
Old 12-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beau S
Great find!
If you read the description and the comments.. that's the "beginning" of that series. Their start. Before they became so popular.
Actually I've had the video for a number of years, and it was made at the height of MTEG's popularity prior to MT's murder in 1988. The metal ramps on concrete floors were used in venues that had scheduling conflicts that prohibited the loading/unloading of dirt into the arenas days ahead of time.

The point is, everyone's so uptight about the cars running only on dirt because "That's the only way the real cars have ever done it" when it couldn't be further from the truth. I'd much rather run on astro or carpet than a sugared track that costs me $100 in tires per race day.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by terry.sc
It's not on carpet. Astroturf is not the same as carpet and grip levels on astro aren't as high as carpet or sugared dirt. Have the wrong tyres on astro and you will keep on spinning out on it. Different astro on different parts of the track will also give you differing levels of grip, something you can't do on a dirt track.

As for "not off road", here's one of my local astro tracks. While we don't go in for gigantic jumps like US tracks, you can see it's a lot rougher than a rollered smooth 'dirt' track that's somehow acceptable as off road. we usually lay it on a sand base to improve drainage, so someone jumping on one spot will create a divot in the surface, unlike a hard packed dirt surface.
That actually looks fun as hell. There is something to be said about some of the indoor hard packed super smooth dirt tracks vs astro. Seems the astro is more offroad than some of the indoor clay tracks to be honest. Some of the clay tracks aren't far off from asphalt.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I've never raced on astro turf, but I've raced on a lot of dirt/clay tracks and that looks as good as the best tracks I've run on! Mix of slippery and bumpy, but without the frustrating hard edges that clay gives you.

My question is why is Yatabe astro at all? It's indoors afterall! The clay surface must have been super consistent anyway...why even bother going to astroturf?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by WheelNut
I've never raced on astro turf, but I've raced on a lot of dirt/clay tracks and that looks as good as the best tracks I've run on! Mix of slippery and bumpy, but without the frustrating hard edges that clay gives you.

My question is why is Yatabe astro at all? It's indoors afterall! The clay surface must have been super consistent anyway...why even bother going to astroturf?
To get as much advantage as possible?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Lower maintenance is my guess as well
Old 12-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO..it was stupid then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVoEaep0BAM

And it's stupid now. ^^^
Old 12-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

^^^^

Robby Gordon ran his truck races in conjunction with several Indy Car events to get national exposure. It worked. Some of those races on the temporary street courses were quite good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.