Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why don't we have Juniors classes in r/c racing in the USA? >

Why don't we have Juniors classes in r/c racing in the USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't we have Juniors classes in r/c racing in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Why don't we have Juniors classes in r/c racing in the USA?

Why don't we have any Junior classes for r/c racing? (At least not in the USA that I know of.) Kids need to be racing with kids their age if you want them to keep the interest. We have Masters classes for the 40+, why not anything for kids? Please don't say "but we have Novice class".....

Look at all the other forms of sports and motorsports that kids participate in and they all have classes based on age. From football and soccer, little league, motocross, and more all have age groups for kids to compete in.

Personally, I would like to see 5-8 year old and 9-13 year old classes added to buggy and short course.

What's your thoughts?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Because age doesn't generally hold back someone's skill in RC racing.

Other sports do it based on age because of general physical ability.

Honestly, we don't need anymore classes.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket

Honestly, we don't need anymore classes.
I agree, we need less classes. And classes that actually grow our hobby.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
Why don't we have any Junior classes for r/c racing? (At least not in the USA that I know of.) Kids need to be racing with kids their age if you want them to keep the interest. We have Masters classes for the 40+, why not anything for kids? Please don't say "but we have Novice class".....

Look at all the other forms of sports and motorsports that kids participate in and they all have classes based on age. From football and soccer, little league, motocross, and more all have age groups for kids to compete in.

Personally, I would like to see 5-8 year old and 9-13 year old classes added to buggy and short course.

What's your thoughts?
Maybe not so much for age but skill level. Yes, a 8 year old may be intimidated by a 40 year old, but if they are of the same skill, then they should run together. Ive seen 12 year olds beat up on the adults on the track. Kid just smoked em. Would it be fair to have him run against other kids of the same age that have never raced before???

In some other motorsports, its used for safety reasons. Having a kid on an 80 running with the 40+ guys on 450's would be a legal issue in a heart beat, But if he whooped their butt it would be funny as hell
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Maybe not so much for age but skill level. Yes, a 8 year old may be intimidated by a 40 year old, but if they are of the same skill, then they should run together. Ive seen 12 year olds beat up on the adults on the track. Kid just smoked em. Would it be fair to have him run against other kids of the same age that have never raced before???

In some other motorsports, its used for safety reasons. Having a kid on an 80 running with the 40+ guys on 450's would be a legal issue in a heart beat, But if he whooped their butt it would be funny as hell

It wasn't a legal issue for that kid that died last month in Texas when a big bike landed on him.

Insurance companies for MX tracks usually will dictate that classes are split up.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC

What's your thoughts?
Base it on skill not on age.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

At my track there's not enough kids to have a kids class.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

usually beginners class or novice, i agree about class for young ones but we have a 8 yr old that runs with fastest guys in town and has some track records set while us older 40+ ers are wrenching trying figure out what to do catch him hes running around pits with other kids, to put it simply i think some of us ( older dudes) may need play hot wheels or tag in pits instead wrenching lolol .
Old 11-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

the problem is that beginner class or novice is made up of different vehicles, my kid is slightly too slow for regular stock buggy, but spends the entire time in novice or sportsman avoiding short course trucks driven by 6 year olds.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket

Sums it up, end of story, game over.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

We don't have enough kids for a separate class. Besides, that one kid whooped my butt last Sunday. :/