Why is RC racing not growing? >

Why is RC racing not growing?

Like Tree2Likes

Why is RC racing not growing?

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 197 (100%+)

I run 6 classes... all TLR cars. We have enough heats so I can turn marshal after each race.
I contribute to the track with my time during remodels and track maintenance.
I help the new racers with setup and just like socializing with the people at the track. I promote the local track as well as shop when I can at the Local hobby shop.
Do your part to make the RC car industry grow. Introduce it to your friends, be helpful .
Most of all have fun....... go Race!
If you don't have enough time to race the complete day.... it's OK just pack up and go. But please go Race. Have a good weekend!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like someone suggested maybe splitting the race day in half would be a solution. First half of the day could be the 17.5 classes then the second half could be the modified classes or some other combination of the two.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Excellent RC car action article.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2014...too-expensive/
Old 11-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Like someone suggested maybe splitting the race day in half would be a solution. First half of the day could be the 17.5 classes then the second half could be the modified classes or some other combination of the two.
I would be down for that, or maybe creating a 17.5 buggy night or something (I know around here we have had upwards of 5 stock buggy heats in one night!)
Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
The money thing honestly is not that bad look at all the knockoff cheaper but good escs and lipos /motors you can save $100s .

One big problem i always see is when spectaters ask some guys how much to get started etc they tell them to get the most expensive brands .Which these days is not really needed and does turn away new people to racing .
Very true
I have 3 cars that I bought used (one at a time ) that I paid less than half price . Clean them up,went through and replace what's need and now I'm on the podium on the regular basis. So,you don't have to spend top dollars to be competitive and have fun if you're willing to do the work.
Yes,steer the newbies to less expensive options would help for sure
Old 11-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
I run 6 classes... all TLR cars. We have enough heats so I can turn marshal after each race.
I contribute to the track with my time during remodels and track maintenance.
I help the new racers with setup and just like socializing with the people at the track. I promote the local track as well as shop when I can at the Local hobby shop.
Do your part to make the RC car industry grow. Introduce it to your friends, be helpful .
Most of all have fun....... go Race!
If you don't have enough time to race the complete day.... it's OK just pack up and go. But please go Race. Have a good weekend!

6 races my hero....awesome!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC View Post
There's quite a few issues, but to me these are some of the main ones. Cost is not a big issue though IMHO.

First, can't really buy a ready to run and race it. Most tracks are hard clay. RTR tires do not work, so they are stuck buying new tires out of the gate. Plus traction compounds, bringing stuff to clean and prep tires, ect. Kids don't want to do all that when they start out. Bring back loam already. Not sure why everyone thinks they need to go mach 1 on concrete like surfaces.

Next, we don't have any Junior classes (at least not in the USA that I know of). Kids need to be racing with kids their age if you want them to keep the interest. We have Masters classes for the 40+, why not anything for kids? Dumb. Look at all the other forms of sports and motorsports (mx for example) and they all have classes based on age. And don't say "but we have Novice class".....

I would like to see 5-8 year old and 9-13 year old classes added to buggy and short course.
Race Ready RTR's....90%+ of RTR's never ever see a race track. "Bashers" would be severely disappointed with a 17.5 powered RTR. Manufacturers simply don't see them being a worthwhile investment.

Juniors class...that's a track thing. 40% of our A-mains are "Juniors". That's not because our A-main guys are slow, it's because the kids we have racing are simply fast and eat, sleep, and breath racing. I'm either lucky or unlucky, not sure which, that my track doesn't have this issue.

I like the link to the RCCA article. Today's racing isn't as expensive as people make it out to be. Expensive yes, but no worse than 10 yrs ago. There are other hobbies that can't say the same thing.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Race Ready RTR's....90%+ of RTR's never ever see a race track. "Bashers" would be severely disappointed with a 17.5 powered RTR. Manufacturers simply don't see them being a worthwhile investment.

Juniors class...that's a track thing. 40% of our A-mains are "Juniors". That's not because our A-main guys are slow, it's because the kids we have racing are simply fast and eat, sleep, and breath racing. I'm either lucky or unlucky, not sure which, that my track doesn't have this issue.

I like the link to the RCCA article. Today's racing isn't as expensive as people make it out to be. Expensive yes, but no worse than 10 yrs ago. There are other hobbies that can't say the same thing.
The only issue in the cost break down he DIDN'T include but talked about were all the nifty gadgets we had to make stock motors faster. Brush alignment tools - using the lathe to cut the comm ALL the way down so your $40 motor was only good for 1 run, magnet zappers, reamers for bushings, pre-soaked bushings etc. Super light pinion gears that wouldn't last at all. Comm polishers and brush sanders, then brush cutters....

If you didn't have a lathe, then you paid someone else EVERY race day to cut your motor and either cut/regroove your brushes or put on new ones.

There was a lot of money tied up in making a motor fast, and it usually was at the cost of longevity.

I'd say 90% of bashers not racing is being too liberal, I'd bet 99% have zero interest in a racing surface.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That is an interesting article by RC CAR Action. Some of the people I've met who have been racing for over 20 years describe what it was like in the 80's and it seems like there was a lot more people and that the racing was a lot closer. Yet it was much more expensive.

When I was a kid no body worked on Sunday and only a few would work on a Saturday. And if they did work Saturday it just for a morning or afternoon.

As we have morphed into a 'retail' based economy less and less people have free time during the weekends. Just look at how many stores are open during Thanksgiving. We had quite a few family members cancel dinner with this Thanksgiving due to work (At least that's what they told me LOL!).

But anyhow, that kind of work scheduling bleeds over into everything. And not just the Holidays.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I registered yesterday after months of being a guest here because of this thread. Been I RC for 5yrs and owned 50+ vehicles. Never been to a track once.
Why? Multiple reason. Track 30 miles has open practice 2 days from 4-6pm, because of work can't get to even try running a track. I see video of racing, 10 vehicles running. Never have run with more then 2 cars at same time. Let alone trying to run with 10 vehicles.
You need to get us non racers to the track first before worrying about what class we should run.
How about an RC autocross style class. Let people get used to running a track before running in a large group.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I registered yesterday after months of being a guest here because of this thread. Been I RC for 5yrs and owned 50+ vehicles. Never been to a track once.
Why? Multiple reason. Track 30 miles has open practice 2 days from 4-6pm, because of work can't get to even try running a track. I see video of racing, 10 vehicles running. Never have run with more then 2 cars at same time. Let alone trying to run with 10 vehicles.
You need to get us non racers to the track first before worrying about what class we should run.
How about an RC autocross style class. Let people get used to running a track before running in a large group.
You and many more like you simply need to show up on race day and say "I've never raced before and would like to try it. Here's what I have for equipment......"

I have little doubt you'll be greeted with anything but open arms.

Sometimes you just need to jump in and try to swim. There's plenty of lifeguards on duty to make sure you don't drowned.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Most tracks will run a sportsman class for new racers who've never run before. It's basically "run what ya brung". If there isn't enough for the sportsman class then you'll have to get in one of the regular classes, the majority of racers in those classes will understand you're new and have a good attitude about it, if they don't its on the race director to reel those clowns in.

My son started racing at 12 years old, on his first night with no practice he was walking to the drivers stand for the first time. He turned to me and said:

"Dad how about you drive my car the first race and I'll drive in the second race".

Knowing that if I did that he'd never get out there I told him:

"Just go up there and do your best, don't try to be faster than everyone else because you wont be but you'll get there in time. Keep it between the pipes and on all four wheels. If you don't race this first round you'll keep putting it off."

He said okay and went and raced, I stood next to him on the stand and just talked to him and kept him calm. By the mains he told me to go sit in the pits he was okay on the stand now. On the way home from the track I asked him if he liked it and he said it's the funnest thing he's ever done. He's now one of the faster guys at the track and has a great time.

Long story short, just go do it, you have to start somewhere.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
You and many more like you simply need to show up on race day and say "I've never raced before and would like to try it. Here's what I have for equipment......"

I have little doubt you'll be greeted with anything but open arms.

Sometimes you just need to jump in and try to swim. There's plenty of lifeguards on duty to make sure you don't drowned.
+1
Old 11-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
That is an interesting article by RC CAR Action. Some of the people I've met who have been racing for over 20 years describe what it was like in the 80's and it seems like there was a lot more people and that the racing was a lot closer. Yet it was much more expensive.

When I was a kid no body worked on Sunday and only a few would work on a Saturday. And if they did work Saturday it just for a morning or afternoon.

As we have morphed into a 'retail' based economy less and less people have free time during the weekends. Just look at how many stores are open during Thanksgiving. We had quite a few family members cancel dinner with this Thanksgiving due to work (At least that's what they told me LOL!).

But anyhow, that kind of work scheduling bleeds over into everything. And not just the Holidays.
Ed, video games and their advancement have changed the very fabric of what kids do and how they do it.

The Internet has also changed it as well.

As more things became, "stay at home" hobbies over the years, there's alot less people in outdoor activities.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
It means the market will hold more brands - which means there must be more users, or we're going to see lots of companies folding.
not necessarily. It means that the same size pie is being sliced into more pieces. Big players like Traxxas, Losi and Associated are getting a smaller piece of the pie. That's why you're seeing so many companies merging or getting bought out. Thete are a million brand names, but only a few companies. Hobbico, horizon and Traxxas account for the vast majority of rc sales. The rest are mostly all in the noise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service