Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Why is RC racing not growing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Earlier in the thread, a couple people mentioned marketing, and others mentioned the underground nature of the hobby. To me, this is the real issue. It's not just the racing that's "underground", it's the whole hobby. Back in the 80s, RC was everywhere. Open the Sears catalog and there was 2 pages full of Lobo RCs. Open the Radio Shack catalog and there were a lot of them. Nikko stuff was everywhere. We all had one, or our friends did. Enough of us liked it enough to move up to hobby grade stuff and then some of us went on to racing. Now that toy grade stuff is all crap aimed at 6 year olds. There's too much of a gap between toy grade and hobby grade, so older kids aren't getting involved in the hobby anymore.

In order to get more kids at the race tracks, first you need to get them into RC. I think that in order for that to happen, a company needs to fill the gap between New Bright and Traxxas. Get ECX on the shelves at Wal Mart and start advertising the crap out of it on the cartoon stations. Within a couple years, the hobby shops and race tracks would be full.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I would argue about rc not growing.

I've never seen more brands at the track than now. No longer is it a two company battle in 2wd.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
I would argue about rc not growing.

I've never seen more brands at the track than now. No longer is it a two company battle in 2wd.
More brands doesn't mean more users.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have seen a drop since last year, and the track is better than ever. But our winter series hasn't started either. Money and time are the culprits that drive young people back into the video games. The economy is in bad shape right now, and mom and dads cannot afford the $300 a month to race, between vehicles, accessories, track fees, maintenance, driving costs, food, they all add up. I have a hard time with costs as well, and my kids have left the house. I really like the novice practice idea before races, makes a lot of sense. Box stock Slash race class used to be popular, and Slashes are not a bad vehicle, I really enjoyed racing one. I also agree about the SCT comment, as they are easier to drive, especially stock spec, where all novice racers should start.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Race time personally is what I feel gets a lot of people.

Racing starts at 10, but you need to get there an hour early to practice, so that leaves u leaving at least 8:30. Then you don't get done until 4-5? and there really isn't that many heats, or anything?

Just a time consumer, that a lot of people don't like.

Or start at 5:30 and get done at 10:30-11 is better, but then you aren't home until 12-1am..
Old 11-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Tech Prophet

The money thing honestly is not that bad look at all the knockoff cheaper but good escs and lipos /motors you can save $100s .

One big problem i always see is when spectaters ask some guys how much to get started etc they tell them to get the most expensive brands .Which these days is not really needed and does turn away new people to racing .
Old 11-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I work at a hobby shop and around where I am it's constantly growing. People come out and buy Slashes and bashers and get a taste of the track and instantly become addicted and come back to buy a more track suited car. Our club races went from 20 people total to 20 people in just a single class on a weekday. I think once someone gives it a chance they become hooked. It's getting someone to give it a chance that is the challenge. It's hard to say if its growing or declining really. I imagine depending on the location some could be growing and others could be declining. Money is hardly an option once someone gets the itch to become faster and faster. More so when you get the whole family involved which is what it is all about. Lately I've been seeing a lot of dads getting their younger kids involved and they seem to have a blast. Some get annoyed at them being on the track and getting in the way but we have to remember kids are the future to this hobby. Run them off and you're running the hobby into the ground. Embrace new people, help them as much as you can and they will be coming back for years.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Down here in Australia we are starting to get around the time problem by splitting the day in half. In Australia all the regular racers run 2wd and 4wd, but novice/new guys/kids only have 1 car so the wait around all day for like 5-6 races. So some tracks now race 2wd and novice in the morning and 4wd and novice again in the afternoon.

So you get 5 rounds in before lunch with the 2wd and 5 after lunch with the 4wd. But the new guy/kid/novice get 10 runs over the day with the same car. Or if they are young kids, they just do a half day.

It also works good for the regular guys as if you have other stuff/family/kids sport etc you can still do a half days racing. Win win.

Video games are killer but.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
In my case, family and kids... Most races are at night, I can't just ditch my family at night to go race RC cars (if I want to stay happily married). I spend many spare weekdays just running laps after laps and enjoying myself when it is practical to be at a track.

This hobby definitely caters to singles, young and old, a little less in-between.
This.

That and race days are an all day event at a lot of tracks. Qualifiying, A mains, B mains, etc.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brandon1116
. If you force only a couple of classes I think you would see a significant decline in turn out. I do however see your point of being to many classes and having to wait 2 hours to race because of how many classes their are. But with that being said I don't know what the right answer would be.
People want choice but throughout the history of this hobby, the times of growth have always occured when fewer classes were on offer. People like to be part of a larger group. 1/8 buggy (pre-truggy) and early SCT are the most current examples.

As for the length of race days, I'm in the same situation as lots of guys, I'm not bailing on my family for long days at the track. For healthy tracks I have suggested limited class nights, ie. Tuesday Buggy night, Thursday SCT night. The obstacle that presents I'd that popular tracks have very long reach and a significant percentage of their customers can't come frequently.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Not sure how it is in other areas but a big hamper to my racing is that tracks are only running at the most every other weekend or even once a month. If you have a job where you work alternating weekends this can really make it hard to race if your not on the same schedule as a track.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Crawling tough RC club, has been promoting RC in general. We are tied into local car show clubs and local hobby shop. I have race for many years and I can tell you for sure is once you stop having fun you loose intrest. First you must have fun with your new toy, now you take the next step. That could be just trying out the track, once they have control they might try racing. Some do this and some just like to have beater fun. I have talked with many over the last few years, some guys just are intimidated by racing. Seems most kids now days are willing to try it but have issues with not coming in first. All we can do is provide a place to play with out pressure, find out what they have intrest in and start them in that direction. From this point you hope they will go in the direction of sanction racing or crawling to help grow the sport.

At Modellbahn Otts in Gilbertsville, is a perfect place to go and just run a rc track that is not in the loop of local racing just bashing fun. Place is full almost every Saturday and Sunday when nice. Plus there is awesome scale trail crawling course, a must see. They need a place to go and have fun first, once they feel ready to move up having help from friendly experience racers will help them into another class or go mod. Having a place to play with your new toy, friendly, helpful, experienced rc enthusies, will make this hobby grow.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There's quite a few issues, but to me these are some of the main ones. Cost is not a big issue though IMHO.

First, can't really buy a ready to run and race it. Most tracks are hard clay. RTR tires do not work, so they are stuck buying new tires out of the gate. Plus traction compounds, bringing stuff to clean and prep tires, ect. Kids don't want to do all that when they start out. Bring back loam already. Not sure why everyone thinks they need to go mach 1 on concrete like surfaces.

Next, we don't have any Junior classes (at least not in the USA that I know of). Kids need to be racing with kids their age if you want them to keep the interest. We have Masters classes for the 40+, why not anything for kids? Dumb. Look at all the other forms of sports and motorsports (mx for example) and they all have classes based on age. And don't say "but we have Novice class".....

I would like to see 5-8 year old and 9-13 year old classes added to buggy and short course.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
More brands doesn't mean more users.
It means the market will hold more brands - which means there must be more users, or we're going to see lots of companies folding.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r
Interesting read. I agree with a lot said, and will add...

Yes, cost. It is not as much as 1/1 scale, but it is not cheap. With everything accounted for, we are talking 3-4x the cost of a kit. Add to that the 'need' to race multiple classes and it adds up. Let's face it. Going to a race with 12 -13 heats in a round, we are talking a 12 hour day (with travel). This makes it tedious to race just one truck. People get bored, loose interest.

Time. This hobby is very time consuming, especially when you're getting started. Learning how to do things, making mistakes in the process, reading up on things trying to figure out what's what. I have been at this for a while, and I always find things to do. I'd rather be tinkering than watching TV...

Mechanical aptitude. If you don't have it, if you don't like to tinker with things, you will get frustrated. Sure it can be learned, but with our short attention span, folks will leave. It almost takes a personality to be able to do this.

All the above points, or even any single one of them, will turn a person away from this hobby.

That said, there are plenty folks who could get past all of those. In which case, the only solution I can think of is what was already said - marketing. People need to get exited about RC.
I agree with most of this. I don't agree 100% with the feel/need to race more than one class though, but thats just me. A lot of the fun is focusing on my class, and just watching/being around the other races/racers in between heats.

I started as a kid, took a few decades off, and am now back into it (not as much recently due to living out of town.) One issue is cost. Kids need to have a sponsor (ie mom or dad) to fund their hobby b/c it is expensive once bashing in the backyard gets old... I was fortunate in this regard, but many aren't.

Availability of convenient tracks is an issue for many, as well as long race days.. Also cost of maintaining a "good" track (indoor) I think has risen due to expectations, and covering costs. I am not sure of how much internet shopping has hurt local hobby shops/tracks but I am sure it hasn't helped with with their business models. Hence tracks are harder to keep open.

A lot of the other stuff hasn't changed in my opinion from back when I did it to now.. The video game thing can only be blamed so much, as they were around and popular way back then also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.