Why is RC racing not growing? >

Why is RC racing not growing?

Like Tree2Likes

Why is RC racing not growing?

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think Hobbyking is a good Avenue for kids. Their latest Basher 2wd buggy is excellent value and it's affordable for teenagers. Far to many will try and get onto this hobby with a Traxxas buggy or Sct that's paraded as been a cheap and race ready package that turns out to be a uncompetitive money pit. Not many kids can afford a $400 roller and the electrics + other running costs.

A friends interstate club charges $25 for non members to race, that's ridiculous. 2 qualifiers and 3 races @ $5 a race is going to scare to many casual racers off.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I also think there is little to no Coaching involved. In my mind rookie or novice should be strictly monitored and not run what you brought free for all. I'm fairly new to racing and found it impossible to get better in the rookie class. I had to move up to stock buggy to learn to drive. I then pissed of the great guys by taking the wrong line or something. Just couldn't get better dodging SCT 's left and right. Seems to me that a track owner might make a little extra cash if they offered novice classes outside of race nights and geared them toward smaller groups.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jgins13 View Post
I think this last post is the real issue. Marketing. I take my Short Course truck to the playground with my kids, and without exception I'm like the pied piper within minutes. Bright eyes kids (and their dad's) come running up to me with an astonished look on their face. "What the heck is that thing?!??" "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen!" When I tell them about it, they get even more excited. When I tell them I built it from a kit, they are blown away. I feel like if tracks offered better rental options for new folks to give it a try, that would help. Problem is that many track regulars are extremely reluctant to have newbie renters on the practice field.
at my local track, we get off when a rental shows up because we want to allow the person to have a clear track without getting nervous or the pressure of having to avoid other cars, aside from getting our own cars broken in the process, of course. we don't discourage the people who rented them. I've even let some of the parents know that and they appreciate it.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

Adding to the video game thought, kids cant hit up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, select, start and have an unbeatable buggy that will guarantee a win. We live in an instant gratification society and it seems kids these days are unwilling to put in the practice necessary to become competitive and the mains don't have a reset button.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

You guys are not seeing the big picture... at least is my opinion.

Problem is of this causes...

-Banking that for decades gave away money for who didn't have or could pay...

So we blame economics today....

-Internet.... she closed to many things that we really can't catch up ....

-China... the last resort of "PRICE" that invade the world in the last 15years like a sky rocket trowing at you "PRICE" and more "PRICE" and then mentality..ah that's to expensive i just quit and so on....

Those 3 things are the guilty of our problems.

But the other side of the coin is...

-People just buy what they really need, with no credits cards or loans!
(that's a good thing)

-Internet ....(more customers with no phisical shops,warehouses)

-China (quality as emerged bigtime...no more "PRICE" only. Enough quality was puted on the equation in the last 4 to 6 years!)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
Track should pay sexy girls to turn marshal , that will bring them in!
Make sure you get girls with daddy issues, as they will already be used to fat old guys screaming at them all day.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just think for-profit tracks do not work. Our track is in a park owned by the church, that let's us use it for free, and has been in the same place for 30 years. It's an astro track so it's low maintenance.

The number of drivers at our national championship races (I'm in Belgium) is definitely down compared to when I was racing in the 90s. But club races are much bigger now. I remember our club races in the 90s were mostly about 10 2wd and 1(!) 4wd, so 1 or 2 heats. The 4wd guy always ran in the 2wd a-main! This year we had 6 heats at every club race.

There's another track about 25 minutes away that has been in the same place for a long time and they seem to be doing pretty well also (100+ plus members is what they told me).
Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

R/C racers spoil themselves into extinction. All the stuff that makes for the perfect car on the perfect track for the perfect race is intimidating, expensive, and consumes too much time for a majority of people to do. So you have a small minority of people racing r/c cars.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

I still race and have fun but its become to expensive

Pay to practice - used to be free
Purchase a transponder - tracks used to rent them out
tires only last one race day - used to last several
closed cell foams - open cell
Stock class was for beginners - now it cost more than mod

Most kits need a few upgrades plus your maintenance cost diff and shock rebuilds different weight oils. You need several sets of wheels some spare parts and tools. There are to many different scales and classes 1/8th looks fun but the cost is outrageous. It used to be a hobby for fun but it has become another form of competitive racing.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lack of Exposure

This hobby has gone indoors away from the public eye. When on-road was more popular in the US I raced at an asphalt track right next to the hobby shop in a strip mall. People walking/driving by would stop and watch and start to ask questions, 9/10 times it was the sound of the nitro engines that would draw them in. Now with the desire for beautifully manicured high bite tracks being the desire they are not out in the open for the general public to see, they are locked away in a building that only the people "in the know" actually know about.

There's probably a good segment of the public who don't even know they'd be interested in this hobby because they've never actually seen it in real life.

IMO the people that participate in this hobby are their own worst enemy a lot of the time.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyT. View Post
Make sure you get girls with daddy issues, as they will already be used to fat old guys screaming at them all day.
I think you inadvertently hit the nail on the head.

Want to know what's wrong with this hobby? Look no further than this thread. Every other post is about how useless kids are and how hopelessly addicted they are to video games, or some other form of "the younger generation sucks."

Its old twerps with those kinds of attitudes that put off new guys, young and old.

I have yet to meet a kid who didn't go bonkers when I take my car out in the street. They see the paintjob, they see the speed, they see it jumping things, and they get excited. I can tell you the problem certainly is NOT the kids.

The problem is people are so stuck in their ways in this hobby that nobody can see how anything they are doing is affecting the hobby as a whole. Who the heck wants to run on a sugared track that eats a set of tires in 2 runs?

Who wants to take their slash to the track and get yelled at for getting in someone's way? Then told their car will never be competitive?

There's no outreach to new racers. We expect them to just drop right into the way the race scene operates without instruction or patience for their mistakes.

The other huge problem is the lack of a good starter class. The slash class was good for a year or two, but then that turned into a huge spendathon.

I think the other huge problem is we always look to other people to solve problems for us. We want ROAR to fix things. We want the manufactures to come out with something better or cheaper. If you want the hobby to grow, walk up to the new guy at your track. Introduce yourself. Offer help and advice. Tell him to try taking that turn just a bit slower. Tell him he can lift/lower the nose of the car in air. Help him improve so he can enjoy the hobby even more.
Demonyo likes this.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Cost of entry is an issue that is made by the user themselves.

I could have bought all the cheap chinese stuff, but in my experience, I've always liked the name branded stuff.

In the grand scheme, RC racer is cheap compared to other hobbies....it takes understanding of electronics and mechanics.

Most father's these days aren't the ones of yesterday - work on their own cars etc. Everything now is, if it's broke, call a technician.

That said, building a kit, understanding lipos, understanding brushless, it takes a father/son/daughter/mother team to truly stay committed both $$ wise and interest in racing to stick with it.

I learned this in motocross - every year hundreds of thousands of dirt bikes are sold, and yet only maybe 1% would make it to the MX track.

Same with RC cars, hundreds of thousands are sold, as toys, every Xmass and birthday - only a very small percentage make it to the track. Then, only a small percentage of those first time users make a commitment to stick with it.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Interesting read. I agree with a lot said, and will add...

Yes, cost. It is not as much as 1/1 scale, but it is not cheap. With everything accounted for, we are talking 3-4x the cost of a kit. Add to that the 'need' to race multiple classes and it adds up. Let's face it. Going to a race with 12 -13 heats in a round, we are talking a 12 hour day (with travel). This makes it tedious to race just one truck. People get bored, loose interest.

Time. This hobby is very time consuming, especially when you're getting started. Learning how to do things, making mistakes in the process, reading up on things trying to figure out what's what. I have been at this for a while, and I always find things to do. I'd rather be tinkering than watching TV...

Mechanical aptitude. If you don't have it, if you don't like to tinker with things, you will get frustrated. Sure it can be learned, but with our short attention span, folks will leave. It almost takes a personality to be able to do this.

All the above points, or even any single one of them, will turn a person away from this hobby.

That said, there are plenty folks who could get past all of those. In which case, the only solution I can think of is what was already said - marketing. People need to get exited about RC.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I do not doubt video games are a issue. But turn on your TV and you see video games advertised. Outside of a once in a blue you might see a traxxas commercial.

I had my first video console in the early 80's. Before the RC10 gold pan. So video games and rc have nearly been around the same length of time. Its how each has made an effort to market itself that video games now hands down generate more revenue yearly. Not to mention video games are more accessible.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I always felt that there needs to be more actual racing. 6 to 12 hour race day for a 7 or 10 minute main? You have to be 'all in' to spend that much time doing something so obscure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service