Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The good the bad and the ugly of the 13.5 motor >

The good the bad and the ugly of the 13.5 motor

The good the bad and the ugly of the 13.5 motor

Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default The good the bad and the ugly of the 13.5 motor

I currently racing in stock sc (17.5 blinky) and I'm just tired of people crying about other people using cheater motor and bla bla bla when they can't win. I understand that stock racing is all about consistency. I use all ROAR specs electronics and can win one day and come in last in the next!
Anyways. ...I'm thinking of going 13.5 super stock class. Are the people in this class as whiney as the stock and what 13.5 do you like for sc racing?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lowe's48
I currently racing in stock sc (17.5 blinky) and I'm just tired of people crying about other people using cheater motor and bla bla bla when they can't win. I understand that stock racing is all about consistency. I use all ROAR specs electronics and can win one day and come in last in the next!
Anyways. ...I'm thinking of going 13.5 super stock class. Are the people in this class as whiney as the stock and what 13.5 do you like for sc racing?
If it's that way in 17.5 at your track it'll be the same way in 13.5. Both are stock classes. Whining stops in mod when people realize it's their own skill that is their limit.

From witnessing many SC races, I'd say horsepower is not the predominate factor that determines the winner.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Yup, it's a spec thing not a 17.5/13.5 thing. Go open if you don't want to hear it.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What 13.5 or mod motor do you guys like?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lowe's48
What 13.5 or mod motor do you guys like?
I have been running a 10.5 for the past 3 years. I get asked why I don't run a 8.5 or lower like a lot of the others and my reply is" I don't need an 8.5 to do what I can do with a 10.5." Basicly, I am never on full throttle more than a second or 2 at the very most. And that is just on the long straight. I am not surching for a little more speed, don't need more torque, and have never needed to run boost ( but I am running 20* can timing). But that's just me. The tracks I run at are for the most part small enough I get away with a 10.5. Lap times are about 12-16 seconds. I guess I go to a track where the laps are in the 20's, I may re consider. But that is few and far between. And I don't have to worry about burning tires off
Old 11-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run blinky cuz I'm much faster than when I was running a 10.5T. I run a 13.5T blinky in my 4wheeler and run faster laps than most if not all, the mod guys. As some have mentioned before, it's not motor size that wins a race, it's consistency that wins over horsepower. that being said, I run Revtech Killshot motors with HT rotor and HT stator. great motors in my book.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I race 13.5 in all my classes and I run the Hobbywing V10 motors. They are freaks, they stay cool no matter how i gear them and have a ton of torque. They all come with 12.5 rotors and are cheaper then most anything else. I can pull taller gearing and be faster down the straights. I switched from my Novak Vulcans for them. Just my two cents though.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Prophet

13.5 are more powerfull and more torque than a 17.5 so its somewhat stock of a motor. I don't get the point with stock classes still its always who has the better battery of the mouth or motor etc more $$ .

Keep it a open class everything like that seems to go away not to mention cheaper . Teaches more throttle control anyways.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jerm13
I have been running a 10.5 for the past 3 years. I get asked why I don't run a 8.5 or lower like a lot of the others and my reply is" I don't need an 8.5 to do what I can do with a 10.5." Basicly, I am never on full throttle more than a second or 2 at the very most. And that is just on the long straight. I am not surching for a little more speed, don't need more torque, and have never needed to run boost ( but I am running 20* can timing). But that's just me. The tracks I run at are for the most part small enough I get away with a 10.5. Lap times are about 12-16 seconds. I guess I go to a track where the laps are in the 20's, I may re consider. But that is few and far between. And I don't have to worry about burning tires off

I can barely control a 10.5 especially on loose dirt or clay and can still make jumps fine . 8.5 motors if you can control them fine but not needed inless you are running on a big outdoor or indoor track.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joel45acp
I run blinky cuz I'm much faster than when I was running a 10.5T. I run a 13.5T blinky in my 4wheeler and run faster laps than most if not all, the mod guys. As some have mentioned before, it's not motor size that wins a race, it's consistency that wins over horsepower. that being said, I run Revtech Killshot motors with HT rotor and HT stator. great motors in my book.
Originally Posted by tc5 man
13.5 are more powerfull and more torque than a 17.5 so its somewhat stock of a motor. I don't get the point with stock classes still its always who has the better battery of the mouth or motor etc more $$ .

Keep it a open class everything like that seems to go away not to mention cheaper . Teaches more throttle control anyways.
Originally Posted by tc5 man
I can barely control a 10.5 especially on loose dirt or clay and can still make jumps fine . 8.5 motors if you can control them fine but not needed inless you are running on a big outdoor or indoor track.

You guys are just making too much sense. You mean to tell me that you can figure out on your own how much power you need and only use that much? I refuse to believe that an R/C racer could come to that determination on their own. I need strict rules that limit my power otherwise I would end up running a 3s 5.5 turn buggy straight into the wall, because as we all know, the fastest car on the straight undeniably wins the race.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

I went from a 17.5 to a 13.5T last year and it's some what noticeable but wasn't as noticeable as I wanted it to be. I wish I would've gone to a 10.5T instead.

Our track only races open buggy so we don't normally have a lot of people with 13.5T motors or higher. Even some guys with a 10.5T motor have a hard enough time clearing some of the jumps.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeasor
I went from a 17.5 to a 13.5T last year and it's some what noticeable but wasn't as noticeable as I wanted it to be. I wish I would've gone to a 10.5T instead.

Our track only races open buggy so we don't normally have a lot of people with 13.5T motors or higher. Even some guys with a 10.5T motor have a hard enough time clearing some of the jumps.
what buggy, motor, esc, esc settings, battery, gearing?
Old 11-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
You guys are just making too much sense. You mean to tell me that you can figure out on your own how much power you need and only use that much? I refuse to believe that an R/C racer could come to that determination on their own. I need strict rules that limit my power otherwise I would end up running a 3s 5.5 turn buggy straight into the wall, because as we all know, the fastest car on the straight undeniably wins the race.
I enjoy running 13.5 motors. I was just looking for a little more low end torque and found it in the 10.5. This was all when the new indoor track opened and there was a triple coming out of a 180. I got it down good with a 13.5 but had to be dang near perfect every time. Put the 10.5 in and it gave me more wiggle room and didn't have to be perfect everytime, if that makes sense. Room to spare....Since then, I just never went back.

If I need to limit my power, I will turn up the current limiter and or loosen the slipper.

Its easier to slow a fast motor down then it is to speed up a slow motor. Just my way of thinking.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by joel45acp
what buggy, motor, esc, esc settings, battery, gearing?
Losi 22 2.0, Novak Ballistic SPEC 13.5, Novak Edge Spec ESC, Lectron 2S 7.4v 100C, 7.29 and 6.07 (25-27 pinion, 78 spur)

I also add maybe 1-2 degrees of timing on the end bell.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I enjoy running 13.5 motors. I was just looking for a little more low end torque and found it in the 10.5. This was all when the new indoor track opened and there was a triple coming out of a 180. I got it down good with a 13.5 but had to be dang near perfect every time. Put the 10.5 in and it gave me more wiggle room and didn't have to be perfect everytime, if that makes sense. Room to spare....Since then, I just never went back.

If I need to limit my power, I will turn up the current limiter and or loosen the slipper.

Its easier to slow a fast motor down then it is to speed up a slow motor. Just my way of thinking.
I was being a little facetious, hence the

I completely agree with your reasoning and believe that's how racing should be (especially off-road).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.