Wiki Posts
Search

TLR/Losi SCTE 3.0 NEW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
It needs a complete redesign to compete with the Tekno SCT410. Base the drive train / chassis on the 8ight-e buggy with the shorter arms to make it legal width for the SC class.
The SCTE platform is already using 8ight geometry just shrunk down to save weight. If you remember they made the 810 (only nitro) which was a legal 8th scale buggy off the SCTE platform. It was WAY underwight (basically what MIP has knocked off).

The SCTE 2.0 is easily competes with the TEKNO. The tekno is a good truck I am not slamming it but locally all the Tekno customers have swtiched back to the SCTE. Guys can't stand how the Tekno jumps.

Originally Posted by kingofcool999
1. One chassis brace running front to back.
2. Improved motor mount. My motor liked to move.
3. Improved center diff mounting. Make the diff removable w/o having to disassemble so much.
4. Dual o-ring seals on the shock shafts.
5. Mount the steering servo so that it can 'lay down'. (lower CG)
If you use a cap head screw and washer and thread lock the motor should not move. I have my motor mounted from when I built the truck and it has not moved for a season of racing.

Not sure on the logistics of doing a lay down servo. I think Ryan looked into this a little for the 2.0 but there are advantages of a stand up with how the belcrank on this truck is configured.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
It needs a complete redesign to compete with the Tekno SCT410. Base the drive train / chassis on the 8ight-e buggy with the shorter arms to make it legal width for the SC class.
Nonsense. The SCTE 2.0 competes just fine.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The sloppy rod ends, diff shims, shock seal system and plastic quality are the common complaints I hear.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've raced the 2.0 for the better part of a year. Still going on the stock chassis braces as well as the ends. Sure she has a little slop but man is it wicked fast! No complaints here! Awesome job on this truck! But hey... If a 3.0 comes out... I'm in!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Haters will always hate. Tyler ran his 2.0 for a full season all original parts. Never got beat by the Teknos either. If a 3.0 comes out, we are in for a new one!!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fix the slop, a stronger body and I am in for sure!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

jumping attitude of the tekno they should address with a revised battery tray as from what has been stated by them, the battery tray mod (basically moving the battery back) appears to fix the nose down issue along with better piston selection.

season over here, but will look into trying it myself next year unless something changes as I got a modded tray here to try.

As for the SCTE 2.0, main complaint I guess I hear from guys who are happy with it otherwise is parts wear. seems you could fix that with using better quality of parts, and with the price the vehicle goes for, maybe they could roll that in to the current cost of the vehicle.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

There are a hand full of changes I would like to see, but if all those things get wrapped up in a 3.0 package the aftermarket parts biz for this rig would not exist.

It drives at the top of the class, so changing geometry might be a bad thing. Parts support is really good compared to Tekno in the past. Lutz moving to Tekno may help them.

A Mugen truck would be really good just for something different.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I race my 2.0 at my local tracks that are very loomey tracks with a lot of elevators and rhythm jumps. The 1 thinking the tekno's have over the losi's at are tracks are suspension travel and shock diameter. I've upgraded my 2.0 with the 8ight 2.0 shocks to help the issue. But it sure would be nice to see are beloved scte's come with some 16mm shocks like the tekno's.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If TLR took a page from Tekno and just made a sc truck version of the 8ight 3.0 like Tekno did with the SCT410 and EB48, I would come back to TLR. The build quality of the 8ight 3.0, plus the durability of 1/8 parts, plus cross compatibility between the two (i.e. diffs, shock pistons, springs) that would be a winner imho. Teknos are definably more durable, have more steering, much better on rough loamy tracks, but my 2.0 was FAST on clay!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Bigger shocks just adds to higher CG which SCT's already suffer from. I am not sure the bigger shocks are the issue. Getting the correct springs will be important if it goes that route. One of the top Tekno drivers I saw was using smaller lighter shocks on his truck. This was mostly for indoor clay type racing however.

I don't see many durability issues with the SCTE and lets all remember this truck shares the same general geometry with the 8ight just slightly small to help save some weight but the its all there and the truck is tough as nails.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

IF there is a new 3.0 being released in February this thread is absolutely pointless.... The truck would be finished by now.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Like Casper said earlier, the SCTE is a small Losi 8ight. I really think the Ten-T/810 was an experiment from Losi to see if the smaller, lighter drivetrain would hold up in 1/8 scale.

As far as the Tekno truck, the only people running them successfully around here are sponsored by them. The Tekno truck is too heavy and has really poor weight distribution. The guys that tried it have all gone back to Losi trucks, either SCTE 2.0 or there are quite a few guys running the MIP conversion trucks because they are lighter. Weight is everything on these trucks, the lighter the better. Less battery and motor is needed, temps come down and they are much more nimble.

The first 4x4 SCT that didn't look like a cinderblock on wheels was the SCTE MIP conversion. Soon after that Losi came out with the 2.0 which mimicked the MIP stuff and removed weight off of the truck.

Why would you want to make it a small 8ight-e 3.0. That car suffers from the same issue as the Tekno, bad weight distribution. Everybody around here is flipping the battery and ESC back to the configuration in the 2.0 to get them to work.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by SkipGear
Like Casper said earlier, the SCTE is a small Losi 8ight. I really think the Ten-T/810 was an experiment from Losi to see if the smaller, lighter drivetrain would hold up in 1/8 scale.

As far as the Tekno truck, the only people running them successfully around here are sponsored by them. The Tekno truck is too heavy and has really poor weight distribution. The guys that tried it have all gone back to Losi trucks, either SCTE 2.0 or there are quite a few guys running the MIP conversion trucks because they are lighter. Weight is everything on these trucks, the lighter the better. Less battery and motor is needed, temps come down and they are much more nimble.

The first 4x4 SCT that didn't look like a cinderblock on wheels was the SCTE MIP conversion. Soon after that Losi came out with the 2.0 which mimicked the MIP stuff and removed weight off of the truck.

Why would you want to make it a small 8ight-e 3.0. That car suffers from the same issue as the Tekno, bad weight distribution. Everybody around here is flipping the battery and ESC back to the configuration in the 2.0 to get them to work.
I agree the 2.0 mimicked the MIP but I was at the track the day both companies were testing this idea. MIP was to market well before TLR on the idea as TLR was fixing some other issues from the 10-T not being a race vehicle before the 2.0 came out but just putting it out there it was not a copy.

The 10-T IMO was an attempted to test a 4wd ST to try and bring gas truck back. It just happens it made a great platform to start the 4X4 SCT from and has proven to be quite tough. Some refinements and setup development the truck works really well. The geometry is there as both of us have stated and I agree overall weight as well as weight distribution are critical aspects to get these trucks to work well. I think this was one of the big benefits of the Durango is that the truck was light, unfortunately for them it was not very durable though.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SkipGear

I know a couple of drivers who have not switched their TLR 8E 3.0's around like the 2.0 and have beaten all of the cars that have switched.😎 It's a lot of monkey see and monkey do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.