SC Oval ?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 237 (100%+)
Default SC Oval ?

Running a SC truck on oval carpet/blacktop and wondering which would be a better choice, ball diff. or gear diff.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting you mention that. Ran on a dirt oval last night, great fun. Took my offroad b5m, didn't alter a thing and ran it. I am thinking about finding a used buggy for just that. Truck would probably be better because it is tougher. As far as diff goes, I am not qualified to answer.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You'll grind the ball diff to a pulp in a hurry on that kind of surface and the gear diff is generally going to be the diff of choice for any kind of carpet racing.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Funny you mentioned this. I was just getting my oval cars ready after years of collecting dust. A new track just opened up close by that will be running carpet oval. I have a custom works EDM that I'm going to be throwing a late model body on and a custom works sprint car. The EDM is running a ball dif with a slipper eliminator and the sprint car is direct drive. I think direct drive will work best on carpet. If you have an old B4 lying around convert it over to oval.

http://www.speedysracingparts.com/B4..._LateModel.htm

SRP No 1400- LM Black Late model kit made for the Team Associated B4 buggy
http://www.speedysracingparts.com/Dscn0035.jpg

This is a good handbook here: http://www.bumpsandjumpsrc.com/oval.htm
Old 11-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ball diff, i run a fair amount of dirt oval, a properly set diff will always be best...
Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
ball diff, i run a fair amount of dirt oval, a properly set diff will always be best...
Looks like we're 50-50 so far. Last winter I ran a few races on carpet with 17.5 blinky w/ball diff. and a couple guys told me the truck would corner better with a gear diff. New to this kinda truck stuff.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
Agreed. They will get chewed up but on oval is mainly ball diff or direct drive. Of course, i'm talking about actual oval cars and not SCT's running on an oval track. Custom Works is probably the best in oval and I don't see any gear diffs that they sell http://www.customworksrc.com/Categor...ivetrain+Parts

Here are the two cars I plan on racing this winter for oval.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Forgot to include the pics. The EDM is a ball diff and the Sprint is direct drive. The sprint needs new wing mounts, shock tower and shocks though...Such an expensive hobby
Attached Thumbnails SC Oval ?-oval.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All the Oval cars I've owned where direct drive, but they still have ball diffs.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ball diff's for sure, a properly broke in ball diff will last a long time even for oval racing
Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lewis110 View Post
Ball diff's for sure, a properly broke in ball diff will last a long time even for oval racing
Plus gear diffs are heavier and in oval it's about being light. In fact, my kits are old school and are using weed eater string to hold the dog bones to the out drives just to save weight

But to the OP's question, if you're going to run oval don't do it with a SCT. You'll have much more fun running oval with a real oval kit...Oval drivers have an enigma and everything is a secret but it can be a lot of fun. Plus DODC rules still go by old school methods. For example, if you're running an oval track and DODC rules apply, then there is no reason to worry about which motor you're going to run because they have TWO that you can choose from: http://rcspeedshop.com/index.php?cPath=92 It keeps cost down and better racing IMHO which is something I wish offroad would do. Have 2 or 3 motors to run and be done with it
Old 11-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

I guess we stick with the ball diff. then. Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Andy, if the track you are gonna run is anything like what Gregg's was in Wausau, you are gonna want the gear diff. Al and I both tore up the ball diffs and they didn't realy have that much of a performance advantage over the gear diff anyway. I ran a gear diff in my SC10 in the mod class for 2 years on the same diff and only changed oil in it at the begining of the season both times. Other than that it required no maintanence. I liked 7000wt oil in mine. Not sure what Al used.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NorthCentral RC View Post
Andy, if the track you are gonna run is anything like what Gregg's was in Wausau, you are gonna want the gear diff. Al and I both tore up the ball diffs and they didn't realy have that much of a performance advantage over the gear diff anyway. I ran a gear diff in my SC10 in the mod class for 2 years on the same diff and only changed oil in it at the begining of the season both times. Other than that it required no maintanence. I liked 7000wt oil in mine. Not sure what Al used.
If/when I get a chance to try it, we'll start with the ball seeings how it's in there already. We have a gear diff w/new out drives on standby. Thanks Josh.