R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing
Default FT T4 VS. XXX-T MF2

Normally I try to figure things out for myself, but this time I figured I'd ask you guys. Which is better? Which is faster? Which is easier to set up? Which is easier to make fast? What advantage does one have over the other? I pretty much know the specs (FT has titanium turnbucles and blu threaded shocks ect... MF2 has threaded aluminum shocks and titanium nitride shock shafts ect...) but which one is easier to make fast? I can make a Rustler go like a bat out of Hell (Lets just say I've had experience. I can rebuild the tranny at the track in under 7 minutes and memorized the main part numbers for the internal gears experience ), but it isn't worth the time and money, which is what I'm getting at. Which is more performance for my dollar?
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They're both great trucks. Cost is close to each other. Drive the one you can get parts for easily.
Ophidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Tech Master

I was leaning towards the Losi, just because I'm thrilled with my XXX-NT's plush suspension and tuning options, but I figure the T4 is pretty good too. The internal gearing is close too. I think the Losi is 2.46 and the Associated is 2.6.

The only other factor is the T4's that are sitting on the used shelf waiting to be purchased at my LHS.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You will often find used T4 & B4's readily available but I believe it has more to do with the fact that they sell more T4 & B4's then similiar Losi products. I am not saying AE is better than Losi but I believe they hold the majority marketshare.

Personally, I always base decisions like these on race results and if you flip through this months RC Car Action you will find the results from the Hot Rod Hobbies ShootOut which I posted below:

Factory Mod Buggy
1. B4
2. B4
3. BK2
4. BK2
5. BK2

Factory Mod Truck
1. T4
2. T4
3. T4
4. T4
5. MF2
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Man, I bought the losi MF1 and raced it a few weeks. I wanted a T4 b/c I run a gt and all the tires would fit. But the mf was priced right and available. Well I've traded it now for a T4. It didn't do it for me, and I would've had to buy the stuff to make it do what I wanted. Now with the T4 I've got all the shock stuff, springs, tires. blah blah.

My point being is, if you've already got losi stuff, I'd probably stay with it. Not to mention the two different vehicles (companies) seem to handle differently no matter what. You like it or you don't. So if you like your xxnt, well you'll probably like the MF better than the T4. That's my opinon. I already like the way the T4 feels compared to the losi. I love the way my GT handles though too.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Tech Master

Sounds good, and I'm pretty sure I can make an MF2 pretty competative. I want to go to a new track and check out the competition and possible pack up the team and head down for some off-road racing.

Team Platinum is going racing, watch out !
Old 09-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 243 (99%+)

I have tried/owned/raced them all. I always seem to come back to Associated. It seems like the majority of hobby shops carry more parts for AE than Losi. I have always like the feel of their trucks...plus a RC10T was my first r/c car.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
Tech Master

We have an RC10T here too. We also have a RC18T and a Mini-T. We race the 18T and the Mini-T at Platinum Raceway and for the most part the 2 trucks handle equally well. My Mini-T has CRC shocks, bearings, and a Pro motor, while the 18T is just easier to see for yourself. My Mini-T is much slower but handles rather well. It definatly takes the jumps better, and is easier to handle when the stuff gets deep. I attribute this to the increased caster and raked back bumper that refuses to dig in on the jumps and bumps.

My T2 is a good little off roader, but I think it's a bit too simple for me. The Associated's look a little bit cooler but I think they are a bit to tall for me. The XXX-T's look nice and low, but the chassis looks like it is prone to spinning with the weight furthur forward. I think I would be happier with a Losi but there is always that little bit of me that wants to grab an Associated just because they are readily available.

I really need a tie breaker. Anyone got something that will sway my opinion? Any good features for either truck that's worth a second look? Is there any chance that those quick change hubs and VLA arms will make their way to the MF2 so that I don't buy a truck just to have them release another one in a day or two?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
Normally I try to figure things out for myself, but this time I figured I'd ask you guys. Which is better? Which is faster? Which is easier to set up? Which is easier to make fast? What advantage does one have over the other? I pretty much know the specs (FT has titanium turnbucles and blu threaded shocks ect... MF2 has threaded aluminum shocks and titanium nitride shock shafts ect...) but which one is easier to make fast? I can make a Rustler go like a bat out of Hell (Lets just say I've had experience. I can rebuild the tranny at the track in under 7 minutes and memorized the main part numbers for the internal gears experience ), but it isn't worth the time and money, which is what I'm getting at. Which is more performance for my dollar?
I have tried both trucks and I perfer the mf2. It jumps better and over all is easier to drive and set up.

Team Tekin
Surgeworldwide.com
Bkpaintwerks.com
Stefan Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

Works for me. Now that I have plenty of info I think I'll sleep on it and weigh the pro's and con's. Normally I've been compulsive in the past (Hornet, snd Hornet, RC10, Parts Rustler, Parts Stampede, Street Sport, Blackfoot, T2 ect...) but this time I really want to build a nice clean truck, that's similar in quality to my Bandit. I definatly want either an MF2 or a T4 Factory Team. If anyone out there has a good one for sale PM me, I'll look anything over right now, just as long as it's clean and NOT worn out/broken. I have a deadline that I kind of want secret, at least until I make a desicion. I'll probably let you guys know tomorrow. Until then, anyone have any other winning points for either truck?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
I really need a tie breaker. Anyone got something that will sway my opinion? Any good features for either truck that's worth a second look? Is there any chance that those quick change hubs and VLA arms will make their way to the MF2 so that I don't buy a truck just to have them release another one in a day or two?

the mf2 has vla arms and the quick change axles are available.

the axles aren't quick change though, they are set up so you can use the quick change rims for the ad2 on your mf2, I think there is a spacer or something that you put in the front rims of an ad2 to get them to fit the front axles, so you are covered there too.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

FYI the T4 has beat out the MF2 in the last two RC Car Action Reader's Choice Awards

I am a little bias, I am working on a fairly expensive project right now (Building a Dream Stock Racing T4) so don't mind me
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The awsome part about both the T4 and MF2 are that they require zero upgrades to be competitive at any level. Both of the chassis are so good right out of the box, I can guarantee you that either one of these truck will be very fast, much, much better than any traxxas. The only limiting factor is your driving. If you already have a XXXNT you should definately get the MF2 so you can cut down on the number of different parts you need have in your tool box.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #14
Tech Master

So the suspension is mostly interchangable right? I have some spares but I have the XXX-NT RTR 1 not the 2 so I am not sure if I am going to mess with suspension geometry by reverting to an old shock tower if the MF2 one gets broken.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:45 AM   #15
Tech Elite

The front end from the NT and the MF2 are the same..you can put the MF2 VLA arms and caster blocks on your XXX-NT, it's a direct fit. The rest of the truck is different.

Some drivers prefer one truck over another...brand loyalty exists in R/C as it does in everything else...soda, real cars, golf clubs, fast food, etc.

You want a tie-breaker? There are several Team Losi drivers who frequent the Off-Road forums here at RCTech, and we're always here to help you.

I'll offer help to anyone with a Losi car...that's why my e-mail and instant messenger names are available. Have problems with or questions about your Team Losi product? Let me know. Let customer service be your tie-breaker