Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Affordable ESC for a stock buggy >

Affordable ESC for a stock buggy

Affordable ESC for a stock buggy

Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LaserPimp
I can't condone anyone buying a clone esc from hobbyking. I can't comment on the quality as I've never used one, I wouldn't use one because they are stealing designs from manufacturers that have put time, effort and money into development. When you buy an esc you are not just paying for a bunch of circuitry an capacitors, you are paying for the R&D that is required to bring us quality products.
Hobbyking is a retailer, not a manufacturer. They buy the esc's they sell, likely from the same maker that they appear to be cloning and often with an adjusted specification to effect selling price (lower spec FETs or something along those lines). This is very common in electronics and the makers providing the product to them are happy with the arrangement.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PetRock
The manual on the HK site says:
  • Sensored or sensorless brushless motors
  • 2s lipo: >=3.5T onroad, >=5.5T offroad
  • 3s lipo: >=5.5T onroad, >=8.5T offroad

The fastest motor I've run mine with is the 6.5T in my D413 now - I've had zero problems with it.
Originally Posted by PetRock
Any brand that sells a 3-wire brushless motors with an optional sensor port: typically labelled as "540" or "550" size (3650 or 3660 cans). Once you get into the 550/3660 sizes or larger (3674, 4074 etc): you'll need to look at the voltage: if they're for 1/8-scale they usually need 4S-6S lipos... the X-Car 120 is only designed for 2S or 3S (which are more common in 1/10th-scale, with 2S being what's using in racing classes)

In general, for the X-car, you can use any brushless motor that says it's designed for 1/10th-scale RC cars running on 2s: where the common motors are rated at between 3500-5500kv
Thank's much Rock...the last time I ran 1/10 off road was back in the late 80's and early 90's...So much has changed
Old 11-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ended up buying the hw just stock esc today to put in my 22t. Works as well as I would have thought. Pushed the stadium truck around well with a revtech KS 17.5. No motor over heat, no cogging at all sensored at 40* timing. Ran it at outback raceway on high grip clay. Going to add some more timing to the motor to see how it does next time.