Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need help choosing an 1/8 buggy..... >

Need help choosing an 1/8 buggy.....

Need help choosing an 1/8 buggy.....

Old 11-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
You need to also look at the Kyosho, Xray, and Hotbodies cars.

The AE and Durango are obsolete. Ok cars, but if you're starting fresh, try something cutting edge.

Wouldn't Mugen be obsolete also if your going by chassis design and suspension . It works good on the track still and competitive that's all I know .
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Wouldn't Mugen be obsolete also if your going by chassis design and suspension . It works good on the track still and competitive that's all I know .
Agreed
People are still winning with AE too...
Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm one of those guys that pretty much hate cab foward bodies.....
That's probably the main reason of me liking the Durango as much as I do......Also the fact that it doesn't look stumpy...but the 8e 3.0, that thing is really growing on me.
That 3.0 body is lookin' real good.

If I didn't have all these car (real car) repair bills right now, I think I'd be ordering one up like today. I can't see myself not getting something though within a couple of weeks.......Just so I don't have to be constantly thinking about it.
Just get it, build it n go ridin'.

As far as the Mugens, X-rays,teknos, Kyosho etc people seem to be recommending , they're not on my radar.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:54 PM
8RC
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default local

Anything can be fast. Go with what guys at your local track ate running. That way you can get help at your track.

Also wouldn't go with the durango for parts support. And they're a little weak in the front end. Very fast tho
Old 11-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Mugen and Tlr.
I've had the MBX6 for two seasons and I think I broke one front arm, other than that it's been bullet proof. I'll be upgrading to either the MBX7 or the TLR 3.0
Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek
I'm one of those guys that pretty much hate cab foward bodies.....
That's probably the main reason of me liking the Durango as much as I do......Also the fact that it doesn't look stumpy...but the 8e 3.0, that thing is really growing on me.
That 3.0 body is lookin' real good.

If I didn't have all these car (real car) repair bills right now, I think I'd be ordering one up like today. I can't see myself not getting something though within a couple of weeks.......Just so I don't have to be constantly thinking about it.
Just get it, build it n go ridin'.

As far as the Mugens, X-rays,teknos, Kyosho etc people seem to be recommending , they're not on my radar.
You're right not to make the choice too rational, it's a r/c car and you have to love it for some other reasons than logical reasoning.

I would never advice someone not to choose his dream car, even if it's not the best on the paper. If you love the car from the beginning you'll drive more and improve faster.

Now if you can reunite the looks, the handling, the parts support, the quality and everything in one car.. go for it! For me the 3.0E is the evident choice in your particular case. I had the occasion to see many of them on tracks and there is something in its shape that says "I'm strong, let's go!". The Durango is very similar in this aspect. Might sound stupid but to me the physical attitude of a car is important, just like a 1/1 scale car. Some look rock solid, some look shy. The 3.0E is an animal
Old 11-14-2014, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
You're right not to make the choice too rational, it's a r/c car and you have to love it for some other reasons than logical reasoning.

I would never advice someone not to choose his dream car, even if it's not the best on the paper. If you love the car from the beginning you'll drive more and improve faster.

Now if you can reunite the looks, the handling, the parts support, the quality and everything in one car.. go for it! For me the 3.0E is the evident choice in your particular case. I had the occasion to see many of them on tracks and there is something in its shape that says "I'm strong, let's go!". The Durango is very similar in this aspect. Might sound stupid but to me the physical attitude of a car is important, just like a 1/1 scale car. Some look rock solid, some look shy. The 3.0E is an animal
+1 !! Pulse, My neighbor (and racing pal) brought home his brand new, clean and shiny, LOSI 8E 3.0 RTR yesterday and it looks sweet !

We lined it up next to my fleet of DEX408's just to eyeball them side to side, front to back. Both models are (to borrow your quote), screaming "I'm strong, let's go!"

The LOSI is stout. The 408 is a beast. Either would do the job out on the track. I just prefer the "L00K" of the Durango's free-flowing, aerodynamic styled body . . . . they just L00K fast just sitting there . . . .
Old 11-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Try to post some side by side pics mah brotha.....Would be cool to see.

Right about now my thinking is to get the 8e 3.0 kit. ... Hobby shop will order it for me for $500 even which seems like a pretty good price.
Then I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a used Dex408v2,down the road. ( I've really had my eye on that car for a while)
Even though I'd like to build that kit, I can't see spending 550 (from the one or two places that still carry it) on a car that's pretty much been discontinued with a new model around the corner.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

I'm at work yesterday....I say freak it...I go outside,call the hobby shop n tell the brother to put in the order for the 8e 3.0.
He calls me back two minutes later n tells me they're not in stock and if I want him to put it on back order.
I tell him "no".
I have the spare money now. I don't need a call in a month telling me "it's here" and I'm low on spare cash.

Anyway.....I notice amain has them in limited quantities also.
How long do these things usually stay out of stock for??

I much rather buy it from the hobby shop than from somewhere online.....not to mention he gave me a great deal....$500 even.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thats great you are wanting to support the hobbyshop, however if you need it now, then just order it online and maybe throw a bone to the LHS with buying spares, support equipment, etc from them.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm at work yesterday....I say freak it...I go outside,call the hobby shop n tell the brother to put in the order for the 8e 3.0.
He calls me back two minutes later n tells me they're not in stock and if I want him to put it on back order.
I tell him "no".
I have the spare money now. I don't need a call in a month telling me "it's here" and I'm low on spare cash.

Anyway.....I notice amain has them in limited quantities also.
How long do these things usually stay out of stock for??

I much rather buy it from the hobby shop than from somewhere online.....not to mention he gave me a great deal....$500 even.
Definitely support your local shop, especially if you get a good deal. But take advantage of any sales that are available online to get the same deal. Amain has a descent price on the kit, http://www.amain.com/team-losi-racin...gy-kit/p265404 plus the BF deals should get you around the same price as your local shop. I'm the same way....I want my toys RIGHT now. lol

Also buy a car that has local support, ie. other guy that run the car. That way you can compare set ups, etc.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

It's funny.....As I'm driving to the hobby shop to get a couple of things, I call my friend n tell him "when I go home I'm ordering the 8ight" .
I had called Horizon earlier today n they said they're gonna get em somewhere around Christmas n it could go into the middle of January to Feb before the hobby shop might get em......So I figured Amian with the BF 10% off will be a lil over 5 bills which ain't bad....
Anyway....I get to the hobby shop where I'm cool with the guy n I tell him "it looks like it's gonna be a while" ....He goes to me "I'm gonna put it in back order anyway, we can always cancel it....."
I didn't really wanna tell him I'm gonna get it from Amain, so I told him "alright".
I guess I'm gonna have to wait a lil while....but it's all good.Its not like I need it right now. If I did, I would've just told him so.
That brother is always lookin me out, so I figure it's only right ....
for future reference...how is a 2650 kv motor in that thing. I notice a lot of people going with the low kv motors.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Legend

on 4S 2650kv motors are too much.

Your best bet would be a 1900kv motor or even a 2100kv if you really need that extra bit of pop they seem to have.

If doing 2650kv, I would do 3S personally.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
on 4S 2650kv motors are too much.

Your best bet would be a 1900kv motor or even a 2100kv if you really need that extra bit of pop they seem to have.

If doing 2650kv, I would do 3S personally.
Too much in what sense?? To control around a track??
What about for just general "farting around"?? ....How are they as far as heat goes??
I'm coming up from 1/10 scale so I have nothing hands on to go by as far as what kv is best for a 1/8 buggy....
Initially it's gonna be for just bashing around when I get time after work...
Old 11-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Legend

Too much in what sense?? To control around a track??
What about for just general "farting around"?? ....How are they as far as heat goes??
I'm coming up from 1/10 scale so I have nothing hands on to go by as far as what kv is best for a 1/8 buggy....
Initially it's gonna be for just bashing around when I get time after work...
Its like stupid power in my opinion, and the pop you can get from the other options for bashing I feel is more than sufficient.

very hard to control on the track without reallly working hard to detune the motor or having the traction to take advantage of it.

At that point, its better to have the right tool for the job.

but the good thing about them, they sure do pop up for cheap used as people in general don't buy them for common 4S usage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.