Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collari 21 3 port or the OS Vspec?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default Collari 21 3 port or the OS Vspec?

I am going back and forth on these motors... It is for my truggy and the track is a tight small technical course... Please suggest...

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

can't go wrong with either motor. The os with the 2050 pipe is a torque monster though
Old 09-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Default relaibility...

You see, OS is know for the reliability but for some reason the guys at my track all had problems with it. I do not know if its due to the production batch...

For a 50 difference in price, is the OS worth it?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tmachine
You see, OS is know for the reliability but for some reason the guys at my track all had problems with it. I do not know if its due to the production batch...

For a 50 difference in price, is the OS worth it?
I have heard the same thing too, rear bearing fails, piston/sleeve only lasts 2 gallons.

I had an original vz-b, it was a great motor but my rear bearing failed and sent shavings throughout the motor and wrecked it.

I have been a little leary about buying another os motor.

There is nothing wrong with the collari b3, it does produce lots of torque when combined with the right pipe. If the os reliability is a concern, then go with the collari.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by o.s. power
I have heard the same thing too, rear bearing fails, piston/sleeve only lasts 2 gallons.

I had an original vz-b, it was a great motor but my rear bearing failed and sent shavings throughout the motor and wrecked it.

I have been a little leary about buying another os motor.

There is nothing wrong with the collari b3, it does produce lots of torque when combined with the right pipe. If the os reliability is a concern, then go with the collari.
Don't let the VZ-B ruin the whole OS engine line for you. As far as I'm concern, the V-Spec is the only engine that has this problematic characteristic due to its extreme nature. A Novarossi one-way rear bearing will solve the bearing failure in the V-Spec, if you didn't know.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Personally, I'd try the Collari. I gave the V-spec two chances, and both failed. Sure enough, I've had the exact same problems listed here. One V-spec looked like it was going to be a winner. It was running awesome for two gallons, then the rear bearing failed. I got another brand new one, but this one decided to wear out the piston/sleeve in less than one gallon. Power and fuel economy were fantastic, but not at the price of parts failing prematurely.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Collari is a great choice. I went to the R/C pro series state session this weekend and they had quite a few truggys with this motor running good. The collari pipe really makes this motor come alive.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i have the Collari B3 and it runs awsome. they do like to run a little on the hot side but it hasnt effected anything yet. if you do get the B3 i would suggest tossing the stock carb and putting a novarossi carb on it.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Why not get the B7? It is a bit faster and still like $50 less than the V-Spec.
BTW, skip the Nova bearing. BOCA makes one just as good for $25. We've had great luck with the VZ-B's but there is an occasional premature bearing failure here and there. It's hard to stomach the idea of a $300 motor that isn't a sure thing.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Default Gave in...

Thanks guys... I went towards OS and hope the bad thats mentioned is only mentioned here and the good is overlooked.
Evaluating motors seem to be a hard one and I think it comes down to tuning and luck. Some motors work well wiht others and some do not. I just want to go for a consistant motor.

I will test this set up with a jp1 or jp2. I may save up and go OS 2050, just a steep price.

I will test it out soon and will post findings. If it does not work well with my LSP, I will drop it in my buggy.

Know THAI3G, what is the bearing ot replace? I think I may do that precaution to play it safe. Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You will know if the bearing is going out. We call it the "death rattle" it sounds like there is something loose in the car. If you hear it, then replace your bearing.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
You will know if the bearing is going out. We call it the "death rattle" it sounds like there is something loose in the car. If you hear it, then replace your bearing.
Thanks so its a different sound from the clutchbell bearing going out?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Yep very much so...........
Old 09-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

You know when you are first starting up your buggy on your starter box and you rev the engine's rpms up a bit to get things going? If your rear bearing is going out, you'll hear an absolutely awful noise that sounds like metal screeching at a very high pitch (which consequently is exactly what is happening). It'll be so bad that it will hurt your ears. You'll know what I mean when it happens. I do say when, because it WILL happen. I've yet to meet a V-Spec owner that hasn't had to change that bearing within 3 gallons of using the engine. Thankfully, like others here have mentioned, you can get the BOCA replacement. Sooooooo much cheaper than the 90$ O.S. replacement!!! Funny isn't it? O.S. charges so much for quite possibly the most low grade bearing I've ever seen or used. Go to www.amainhobbies.com. They've got the bearing you are looking for. In fact, pay another 20$ and get the ceramic one. Still half the price of the O.S. crappy bearing. Anyways, I hope you are one of the lucky ones that gets the V-spec that lasts 3-6 gallons. They are few and far between. If you are so lucky, it is the strongest engine I've ever used. It has a phenomenal usable power band. I suggest using the red 8mm restrictor. You won't notice much of a power decrease, and your fuel economy will go through the roof. It's a huge advantage in long mains. I would go 9 min. on a tank of fuel before stopping for a pit. The tank would actually take 10 min. to run dry! Anyways, good luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Laterilus
You know when you are first starting up your buggy on your starter box and you rev the engine's rpms up a bit to get things going? If your rear bearing is going out, you'll hear an absolutely awful noise that sounds like metal screeching at a very high pitch (which consequently is exactly what is happening). It'll be so bad that it will hurt your ears. You'll know what I mean when it happens. I do say when, because it WILL happen. I've yet to meet a V-Spec owner that hasn't had to change that bearing within 3 gallons of using the engine. Thankfully, like others here have mentioned, you can get the BOCA replacement. Sooooooo much cheaper than the 90$ O.S. replacement!!! Funny isn't it? O.S. charges so much for quite possibly the most low grade bearing I've ever seen or used. Go to www.amainhobbies.com. They've got the bearing you are looking for. In fact, pay another 20$ and get the ceramic one. Still half the price of the O.S. crappy bearing. Anyways, I hope you are one of the lucky ones that gets the V-spec that lasts 3-6 gallons. They are few and far between. If you are so lucky, it is the strongest engine I've ever used. It has a phenomenal usable power band. I suggest using the red 8mm restrictor. You won't notice much of a power decrease, and your fuel economy will go through the roof. It's a huge advantage in long mains. I would go 9 min. on a tank of fuel before stopping for a pit. The tank would actually take 10 min. to run dry! Anyways, good luck.

Thank you. A bit harsh but I appreciate your honesty. I do hope I am one of the few that can get many gallons maybe even 6-9 gallons.

Regarding the bearings, is it mandatory to do it off the bat or to do it before the sounds? I guess another 25 bucks... Also will the boca bearings solve the OS issues? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.