Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My dog and a truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default My dog and a truck

OK, so this might be out of the ordinary but I have a crazy dog. Super high energy and crazy. I have a huge backyard and wanted to get a 4x4 truck for me to have fun driving around the yard and him have fun chasing it (when I don't feel like walking him). I know practically zero about rc cars except for the 3 plus hours I've read in the last day. I'm looking for something simple, on the cheaper side, 4x4, and last more than 10 min on a charge. I've come across the Traxxas Stampede which seems decent? To be honest I'm totally out of my element so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I reckon this would be perfect for that http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...adio_RTR_.html Just get yourself a couple of big capacity batteries 6000mAh+ and you should see run times around 20 minutes.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

My dog goes crazy chasing my RC car to the point that it's annoying. He'll bite at the tires and put holes in them and even crack the shell. Anymore he goes inside when the boys and I are out with the car.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Nckmat, that basher looks pretty sweet. I'm worried it won't be fast enough though. I have a Bull Terrier (his nicknames are terrorist, monster, killer, gator, etc) so I need something that he won't be able to catch right away. I didn't see anything about how fast the basher was. It does seem a little more well built vs the Traxxas though so that's a plus. Are Traxxas quality cars? I've kinda read mixed reviews regarding the Traxxas brand.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

My dog does the same thing. She really doesn't like things that move independently of her, apparently.

I would agree with the Nitro Circus truck - it's cheap, big, and durable. Just be careful - those things weigh a lot and can get going pretty quickly. Your dog is large, but it would still hurt to get hit in the leg with a 10+ pound truck going 30 mph.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've got a RedCat TerraMoto that I use for exactly this purpose. Definitely have to be careful as a driver so you don't slam into the dog (or kid) with one of these things, as they can do some damage.

Best thing I did was slap in a Futaba receiver to work my fancier Futaba controller and turned the throttle endpoint down to 50%. Keeps things from getting out of hand with too much speed and lengthens run time. With a pair of 6500 mAh batteries I can get a solid 30+ minutes of tormenting...er, I mean playing with my dogs.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

I wouldn't but any of those china crap cars. very low quality and no parts support. HK can remove the car and it's parts tomorrow and you'll be stuck.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dude do not buy into those mph claims you see on traxxas stuff.

I know a guyb with a bandit and runs a 3s lipo and my ready to run team associated b4.1 with the stock brushless reedy motor and 2s lipo is much faster. Traxxas is a good car to play with but theyre not the car they try to sell you. And forget about racing it. It can barely make it up the face of a ramp. the suspension and geometry of the car is so bad on them it cant grip enough to go straight. Theyre horrible track cars. Its the cheesiest pos ive ever seen and he paid more for it than my associated
Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by holmes holmes
Nckmat, that basher looks pretty sweet. I'm worried it won't be fast enough though. I have a Bull Terrier (his nicknames are terrorist, monster, killer, gator, etc) so I need something that he won't be able to catch right away. I didn't see anything about how fast the basher was. It does seem a little more well built vs the Traxxas though so that's a plus. Are Traxxas quality cars? I've kinda read mixed reviews regarding the Traxxas brand.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Traxxas are definitely good quality but very expensive. The Stampede RTR only has an 8.4v battery and the cheaper one has a brushed motor that really isn't that quick. To get near the top speed of the Nitro Circus you would need the VXL brushless version and 3S battery, the Nitro Circus runs 4S, even with 2 Turnigy 4S 5000mAh batteries and cheap charger you're still spending less money and getting more performance, better batteries, better charger and better motor. You will need to buy a bigger pinion than the stock one though, it can handle way more than they give you in the box.

All rc vehicles will break if you hit something hard, but the spares for the Nitro Circus are way cheaper than Traxxas so you can afford to have to have a few in reserve.

If you want something seriously quick get a Traxxas E-Revo, but you will still need to upgrade that a fair bit.

BTW 99% of RC gear is made in China, so don't let that stop you.

Last edited by nckmat; 11-04-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

you've got people recommending you get things that are just WAY out there for doggie chasing. you do not need a $600 revo to do this. you want simple to use and simple batteries to charge in a complete package that has easy parts support. the stampede would be a solid choice.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Go with traxxas if it's your first rc purchase.

My dog is the same with my rc's. I've found that short-course style trucks (traxxas slash) are better due to them having fenders over the wheels.
Anything with wheels that protrude from the body makes it easier for him to grab it as it goes by.

I've tried every type of rc to run my dog. Monster trucks are too tippy and the dog will grab it every time you slow down for a corner, but you also want something with ground clearance to drive on the grass.

I built a vehicle specifically for this purpose. An old 1/8 ofna nitro buggy, converted to electric with a short course body on it and knobby tires. It's a heavy vehicle, but you can develop driving styles that don't put the dog in danger
Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nckmat

BTW 99% of RC gear is made in China, so don't let that stop you.
You must mean 99% of America is made in China. Like those cheap soft screws that strip they send with out kits? arghhh
Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did you really stop and think about it for a second? Ive seen plenty of videos where the guy is goofing around in his yard and the dog is chasing it and everyone is laughing and think its funny. All until your 20lbs /50 mph whatever your driving hits your dogs leg at the right spot and breaks it.i really like my dog and dont let it anywhere near any of my rc's. You really can hurt the animal. Even break its leg.my dog cost me 2 grand , im sure as he'll not gona have him run after my rc cars. Just my two cents