Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango re-focus on local club racing >

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Old 11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theclutch
. There is no way in hell that I would have bought these cars just because "they run great at my local track".
I agree 100%
Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does Traxxas have any factory drivers? lol, They make alot more $$ than any other rc company ?
All the sheep at my track run the local hero car, pretty much a-mains locked out by one brand since the fast local got one.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kiwi_tim
Does Traxxas have any factory drivers? lol, They make alot more $$ than any other rc company ?
All the sheep at my track run the local hero car, pretty much a-mains locked out by one brand since the fast local got one.
You're right, Traxxas doesn't have a team. They don't have "serious" cars either as most of their cars are entry level and "basher" cars only. So I suppose if Durango wants to go that way, they can. Also, what makes you think Traxxas makes a lot more than any other RC company? Unless all these companies are public companies, you would have no idea what they do or don't make.

Also, I bet your "local hero" is NOT running Traxxas... AND I bet that your local hero's car also has a national team... true?
Old 11-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

We'll if u count cj greaves or rick huseman yeah traxxas does have a pro team and sponsored drivers. They are competitive and winning championships. They drive real trucks with very expensive parts/travel etc... I'm sure traxxas is paying out a lot more $$ in sponsorship to these kinds of teams then tlr, mugen, ae or whoever is giving out to their teams.

To me is seams traxxas is making a lot more money that the rest of the rc brands. I mean when was the last time u saw a commercial for associated. Oh yeah that's right never. I see adds for traxxas all the time.

Now if durango wants a piece of that market with rtr basher monster trucks that's fine with fine with me.

Last edited by Sodakota; 11-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Prophet

You're right, Traxxas doesn't have a team. They don't have "serious" cars either as most of their cars are entry level and "basher" cars only. So I suppose if Durango wants to go that way, they can. Also, what makes you think Traxxas makes a lot more than any other RC company? Unless all these companies are public companies, you would have no idea what they do or don't make.

Also, I bet your "local hero" is NOT running Traxxas... AND I bet that your local hero's car also has a national team... true?

Again Hobbico/Durango has Arrma for the bashing trucks/buggys/Monster truck it would not make sense to not have a racing line kits or RTR with it which is Durango.

Yea there is some racers at the tracks i go to only buy a certain truck/buggy just because they have factory drivers which makes no sense. If the quality and no support is good i go by that. Good thing is there is major online shops that carry Durango parts in stock most of the time and some smaller ones that are sneaked in on searched sites.

I have yet to break one part though .
Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Well, long story short last figures I saw were that Traxxas was selling over 500,000 rc cars per year. I am pretty sure Losi and AE combined would sell 100,000 and your little guys sell a few thousand worldwide if they are lucky. Take how many tracks there are in the US and figure how many people run a particular brand and do the math. The numbers are astonishingly small.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
It sounds like they are trying to reduce their overhead by eliminating the pro team. It also sounds like they are trying to bypass the dealers by going direct to the consumer. I would imagine it is because of lack of support from the stores. They need at least 100 dealers on board and buying stuff in order to make it and I bet that number is significantly less. Going direct and offering "support" or "sponsorship" will increase their bottom line and help hide the lack of parts availability across the US. Just order from the factory/distributor and it simplifies a lot of things, but at the end of the day, it will be a fail because most people who want to be on a team do not do what it takes to do it effectively. nothing worse than breaking a small part without a backup and without a hobby store with it in stock whether it is club night or a major event.

Should be a fun year to see who survives. The market is hugely over saturated and the audience in most areas is getting smaller unfortunately.
Well, hobbyshops don't stock the product cause their are not a lot of them at the tracks. That doesn't matter so much but when I order my parts from my local hobby shop and every single thing I order is on back order...that is a problem. Every single part every time. So what do I have to do, if it is a part that I really need I HAVE to order from online amain, or one of the others. So support the LHS, Durango isn't doing that very well. If your trying to do "grassroots" killing your local hobbyshop is not going to help. The owners at Teckno do a lot of testing with their local drivers to get feedback. If grassroots worked so well why feel the need to sign 2 pro drivers? Durango just let go of their designer for the cars so now how is that going to work?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If Durango is going grass roots then Great Planes should have all the Durango stuff in stock so that your local hobby shop can easily order the stuff customers need and to be honest if they want it to sell and want shops to push them then they need better price margins and lower prices than Associated has. So far they don neither very well so until that is changed they will just sell average at best.

If we could get better pricing and more in stock then my shop owner would be more inclined to sell and push their products.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

No, they don't have a national team here actually, they don't make money off there race cars, they make there money out of the rtr/everyman toy kits, so there not interested in sponsoring or supporting 'race' guys ! Reality bites hey.

I wasn't suggesting anyone race a Traxxas I just tend to look at things from a dollars and sense point of view.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd bet the farm traxxas sells more cars than any other rc company.
But thats like saying gm sells more cars than ferrari so gm must make better cars. Eh...WRONG
Old 11-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

No, they don't have a national team here actually, they don't make money off there race cars, they make there money out of the rtr/everyman toy kits, so there not interested in sponsoring or supporting 'race' guys ! Reality bites hey.

I wasn't suggesting anyone race a Traxxas I just tend to look at things from a dollars and sense point of view.
Yeah, they don't have a race team. They appeal to the kid to run in his yard. But guess what. their marketing is very good, there cars are in every hobbyshop, and their parts are almost never on back order. Again, Hobbico, your silence doesn't help. When you discontinue are car and the parts are hard to get or back ordered for monthsf and then pushed back even longer. What am I as a customer supposed to think? Reinvent the wheel? no just open your mouth's more. What happened with Losi....they discontinued their 22sct. Everybody freaked out for like 2 days. Then it leaked that they were releasing the 22sct 2.0 and when. With in 2 days or so of them discontinuing their car. I know they watch but they still choose to say nothing. They poke their head out for one post then go away for ever. It's been a week but nothing, no hints, no leaks. yeah i'm a little salty. I need springs to finish my setup and their on freaking back order with my LHS who orders directly from great planes. And I stripped my spur gear on my 4x4 and the spur is discontinued. So i can't sell it, I can't run it. And i just stripped the spur gear on my 2wd. I run mod so I run the 87. Back order back order, back order.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is this the spur gear you need?
http:
//www.rcplanet.com/Spur_Gear_87T_48Dp_p/tdrtd310020.htm
Old 11-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Well the 2wd Durango buggys/SC sure have parts in stock haven't had a issue yet with that helps that the Dex210 V2 is pretty strong i would know ! Yea i don't know the issue with the 4wd platforms they have with the parts.

Maybe it will change when the plan in 2015 comes who knows.

Yea yea with Traxxas there good in all with marketing and getting new people in than they realize the quality and hop ups they need on them $$$ . Than they move on to better brands.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Traxxas used to have a race team with factory drivers. Did quite well at Nationals and Worlds for a while. TRX-1 was quite the car when they did.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
If Durango is going grass roots then Great Planes should have all the Durango stuff in stock so that your local hobby shop can easily order the stuff customers need and to be honest if they want it to sell and want shops to push them then they need better price margins and lower prices than Associated has. So far they don neither very well so until that is changed they will just sell average at best.

If we could get better pricing and more in stock then my shop owner would be more inclined to sell and push their products.
This is exactly what I was going to say! They gotta make their prices cheaper for the "grassroots" racer & they need to be in stock all the time. That's the only way they can go to truly focus on the average racer/hobbiest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.