Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango re-focus on local club racing >

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will miss Jorn's 210 & 410 dicing with the likes of Lee Martin, Naoto, etc at the EOS series and other big races including next year's ifmar worlds....
Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Hello All,

I think its worth another post just to clarify a few points.

Gerd is the TD designer for prototyping and special parts creation.
All production designs were done by someone else at TD.
Gerds strengths were creating special parts for the Pro-Team drivers for special races, this is not an area where we will focus our efforts anymore.

The focus on local racers is VERY much down to improving product support and availability, we know this is a shortcoming, measures are being taken to improve and fully resolve this.

win on Sunday sell on Monday - see above, if you can't get TD parts then it doesn't matter what you win, you can't sell on Monday.
As stated above we need to improve, we know this and this is a key area where we want to improve to support distributors, hobby shops and therefore benefit the local racers.

We will still make/design/develop cars capable of winning races at any level, the only difference is that we wont be paying the best drives in the world to prove this.
The design and development process will not really change at TD, the office staff have not changed. the only thing that is changed is our Pro-Race-Team program.

Do we still want to win big races? - yes of course we do, everyone's aim when they go racing is to do as good as they can. Being realistic if its a big race with Pro racers, its unlikely that will happen if we do not also have a Pro racer in attendance.
But we will work incredibly hard to allow you guys to use our products and scare the 'next-tier' of racers at your local club, region, national or international level. to help you step up to the next level.

Our goal is to help our customers (of all levels) achieve higher than expectation.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

He was there chance at a world's title for sure. I would of thought they'd keep him, I think he's worth his weight in gold. With his, he's clearly showing they're the vehicles to have on carpet, winning all but now 2 eos events in 4wd, and many wins in 2wd, not sure his record in pro4 but he's won a lot of those as well. We'll see what happens from here but it should be interesting
Old 11-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Found this old article about Gerd/Durango while looking for the latest on the team:

http://www.redrc.net/2009/10/the-team-durango-history/

Pretty interesting read. Sounds like the whole company was built around Gerd.

Gerd is Durango.

Too bad he cut this deal with Hobbico that drove him out. Looks like he didn't negotiate the terms when sold his company in such a way that he could keep the name and designs if they broke up.

Now he might have to start from scratch.

He'll bounce back again, but it might take some time and he'll need another name. Hopefully he learnt the lesson.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Doughty
Hello All,

I think its worth another post just to clarify a few points.

Gerd is the TD designer for prototyping and special parts creation.
All production designs were done by someone else at TD.
Gerds strengths were creating special parts for the Pro-Team drivers for special races, this is not an area where we will focus our efforts anymore.

The focus on local racers is VERY much down to improving product support and availability, we know this is a shortcoming, measures are being taken to improve and fully resolve this.

win on Sunday sell on Monday - see above, if you can't get TD parts then it doesn't matter what you win, you can't sell on Monday.
As stated above we need to improve, we know this and this is a key area where we want to improve to support distributors, hobby shops and therefore benefit the local racers.

We will still make/design/develop cars capable of winning races at any level, the only difference is that we wont be paying the best drives in the world to prove this.
The design and development process will not really change at TD, the office staff have not changed. the only thing that is changed is our Pro-Race-Team program.

Do we still want to win big races? - yes of course we do, everyone's aim when they go racing is to do as good as they can. Being realistic if its a big race with Pro racers, its unlikely that will happen if we do not also have a Pro racer in attendance.
But we will work incredibly hard to allow you guys to use our products and scare the 'next-tier' of racers at your local club, region, national or international level. to help you step up to the next level.

Our goal is to help our customers (of all levels) achieve higher than expectation.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Whenever somebody asks what car they should buy for the track they are going to race at, the answer is always whatever brand the shop supports with parts...
Old 11-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Whenever somebody asks what car they should buy for the track they are going to race at, the answer is always whatever brand the shop supports with parts...
Spot ON
Old 11-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Kinda funny, Lutz going to Tekno which started from aftermarket parts and now has huge regional support and following for their own vehicles. Lots of fast local guys, but no big time international racers until now.
Branding done correctly to a "T", now stepping up to the big leagues.

And Durango is pulling back from the big show and putting focus on the regional level.

Durango wanting to be where Tekno has been the last few years, and Tekno shooting for AE during the RC10 golden years!

Stay strong Tekno, don't sell out to a distributor and ruin it all!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Call me crazy but Losi and Associated did the samething selling out to a big disturber .
Old 11-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Durango is still popular at my track, but the 22 is bigger for now. The 22's are having a lot of issues, and people are going back to Durangos and Xrays. I personally own 5 durangos, and have had my share of problems. The system is way to complex for me, and the slipper has been a problem. I race indoors and the DESC410R is a jewel, fun to drive. If only it had a real rear bumper. Lets face it, if they are tired of paying big salaries to a race program that is not translating to sales, time to close the doors. Maybe when they have cars that are competitive on the big scale they will come back.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Call me crazy but Losi and Associated did the samething selling out to a big disturber .
They did but they didn't get rid of all the paid factory drivers.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I have never raced at a track where there was a hobby shop on site and I imagine that may be the case in many rural regions.

Being able to get the parts shipped ASAP from a major online store is the most important thing to me.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
They did but they didn't get rid of all the paid factory drivers.

Yea but Losi and Associated have been around a lot longer than most they have a lot of money to spend on a lot of factory drivers .

But that doesn't matter really to me about who has Factory drivers really .

Devin: Most of the time i order from online however there is a track i go to that sells Durango parts, Mugen etc. Pretty much at any shop if its in stock right there il buy it if i need to order it than i just go online.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

If you want market exposure in a global economy you have no choice but to have a decent network of distributors. This may be different in Taiwan and the US, but the issue is the same. As far as I can see, TD did not get this right. Losi and others have started the other way around and expanded as far as their revenue allowed. TD tried to go the other way around and when taken over by a "big picture" company, of course priorities changed. Even then it needn't be a problem. The devil is in the detail, i.e. the way the contract was signed. I have worked for a small company that got very important and was acquired by a big fish in the global pond, but our manager (and owner) was smart enough to not give away the controls over the direction he wants to take our company in. And if push comes to shove, we can split up and go back to where we were before and keep our name and products, etc. I think this is what TD should have done.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I still can't believe they also dropped Jorn Neumann... I mean like WOW. I work in management consulting and like... WOW. I'm sure there are many factors that we are not privy to that led to this decision. But at face value, it appears to be a really, seriously bad decision. They could have decreased funding to the team. But to drop it completely is unbelievable. NASCAR-wise, can you imagine if Chevy woke up one day and said "Yeah, we're stopping all sponsorship...". or even Ferrari just pulling out of F1. It's not like Durango wasn't successful... They were very successful! So this decision, at face value, is truly mind boggling. And I'm pretty upset that I now have "hero less" cars. There is no way in hell that I would have bought these cars just because "they run great at my local track". Touring car-wise, I'm sure Elliot Harper is now kicking himself for ever leaving Tamiya.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.