Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango re-focus on local club racing >

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Old 11-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok so im about to anger someone here but here it goes.

After having 2 dnx 408's one converted to electric i feel confident in saying i will not be purchasing another team durango product anytime soon.

My biggest gripe is they drive unnatural to me. I cannot get either one to lift the nose if i need it to in flight. And they handle smaller rolling bumps oddly. Unlike any car ive had so far. I have a old losi 810 that drives a lot better and its basically a basher. I can drive it 2-3 seconds a lap faster with a lot more ease.
Then come buying parts. If you need a wing support for example you only get ONE in the bag with a bunch of other parts. So you got to buy 2 bags of parts.
There are several other things like this too.

The car looks like its a boss but they didnt design it to work as well as it looks. Its pretty durable. Ill give it that. And the suspension remains tight (without slop)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It doesn't anger me one bit. There are lots of good cars out there. Use what works best for you.

In regards to handling how are you tuning it? Are you relying on the setups sheets of others or do you have your own consistent method that allows you to tune any car regardless of make to the equivalent with another?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

dude, I've tried every single adjustment you can make to this car. don't get me wrong take away the jumps and this thing is a cornering beast. it just will not jump good at all.

my little b4.1 and my losi makes me look like a pro, this durango makes me look like an idiot lol I can put super heavy front springs on this thing and the rear of the car still over rotates the front on some jumps. the same jumps with my other cars are perfectly smooth.

the best example I can give you of it's unusual behavior is if there is a drop down in the track height (like going off a table top jump reversed) instead of flying off the top it drops down with the track surface and hits nose first. it will not fly off flat at all no matter what I do. on or off throttle, hit throttle mid flight, does nothing. depending on the track layout it's not possible to drive over stuff like this without crashing it
Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Tech Prophet

I know my DEX210 V2 jumps pretty good with the stock setup if i let off the throttle in the air or not hit the jumps with to much speed.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:10 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well I read thru this whole thread and then I see former Durango Pro Driver Ryan posted. I raced for 30 years now and think he really pasted on great information to those who are not in the know. He didn't have to do that at all but I think he showed great character posting what he did. This is why he is a Pro and will be a great assent to whoever he racers for next if that is what he decides to do. I have total respect for his post.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are Joern Neumann and Gerd Strenge leaving the company also?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)

Originally Posted by seankyew
Are Joern Neumann and Gerd Strenge leaving the company also?
Dissolving the Professional Driver team.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

I think one area that could be interpreted as "focusing on local racing" would be better parts availability.

If you buy a car because it's driven to success by such and such driver, good for you. I don't. Just as I wouldn't drink coke or pepsi because Michael jackson or whoever drinks it. I buy what I like and I think Team Durango might have realised this is what most grass roots level racers do. After all, the money is at the grass roots level. A pro driver team is just money spent on advertising. It is a good test bed for development, I agree, but it doesn't make money directly (as in right now) for the company (apart from selling the latest and greatest to the people who chase that - and I think they are a minority - TD might have just realised that too).

Most of the time newbies landing on this site and asking for advice are directed to their local track to seek advice there about what to buy and what to run. This is exactly where the money is earned or lost by manufacturers. If you're not present on the local scene, you can win all the competitions in the world, you don't exist.

And just for the record, I own two of their cars, one a top level buggy, the other a SC truck. They're both nice cars and I like them. The DEX410 (first gen) I have seems easy as pie to race to me, but boy it is a pain in the butt to get spares here. Needless to say it's the only TD car in a rather large club in a country with a local TD dealer and a couple of local shops that carry spares (theoretically at least).
Old 11-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

It's official, Red RC reports Jorn and Gerd leaving also Lutz signing with Tekno. Good luck to all in their new journys!! Sad day for TD....
Old 11-07-2014, 03:22 AM
Tech Regular

It is not just the drivers. They have driven off the head designer. I would not buy a car or an R/C car designed by accountants or marketing people. There are enough manufactures of cars, trucks, etc. that produce eye candy equipment that is not competitive, why join them. Distinguish yourself in what you do.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Found this old article about Gerd/Durango while looking for the latest on the team:

http://www.redrc.net/2009/10/the-team-durango-history/

Pretty interesting read. Sounds like the whole company was built around Gerd.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

TD belonging to Hobbico, now without Gerd ... they'll turn it into yet another duracrap-like company within a couple of years...
Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

It's sad for Durango, pro drivers provide an identity to a brand and support the customers while improving the products. Getting rid of them is a risky choice.

I don't see it as a good news but really hope I'm wrong and that Durango will find their niche market.

In r/c there aren't many options. Either you have a team oriented for competition, either you make r/c for the local basher. Traxxas is a typical example: parts available everywhere, RTR cars,.. some don't like it but I'm sure their business is working well. Now Durango will have to create a new identity, it won't be easy.

Concerning the cars themselves the 1/10 have always been excellent. Had a DESC210R, a DNX408 also. Ok the 1/8 wasn't good everywhere but on grippy and clean tracks we loved this buggy. And the designs at least are innovative. What happens with the DNX8 now? Does anyone knows about its release date?
Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I think it's still possible for TD to "succeed" but it'll be a rough road. I'd feel better about them if they had a decent market share.

It's funny that the grassroot comparison had many pointing at Tekno yet Tekno is doing the reverse. Starting grassroots then signing pro drivers. I'm not sure the formula works the other way around.

I really do hope that TD does what they set out to do but until they do, I can't recommend anyone starting new with TD. I still think they will end up with a target market of entry-level racers/budget racers as opposed to local fast guys that have the competition switching.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by shagino
I think it's still possible for TD to "succeed" but it'll be a rough road. I'd feel better about them if they had a decent market share.

It's funny that the grassroot comparison had many pointing at Tekno yet Tekno is doing the reverse. Starting grassroots then signing pro drivers. I'm not sure the formula works the other way around.

I really do hope that TD does what they set out to do but until they do, I can't recommend anyone starting new with TD. I still think they will end up with a target market of entry-level racers/budget racers as opposed to local fast guys that have the competition switching.
Tekno is the first brand giving so much power to the customers to develop their products. Signing Ryan Lutz is a logical choice as he is so dedicated to share with all level racers. I don't see the entry of Tekno to the professionnal level racing as a change but rather as a stretch in phase with their customer centered philosophy. Their move is very clever, they did it step by step. Great conversion kits -> ebuggy kit -> nitro kit > sponsoring pro driver. Maybe the brand with the best built progression in the last few years. As you mentioned I doubt it can be done the other way around but wish Team Durango best of luck for the future. Entry level racing could be a good target for the brand IF they manage to build a community of Durango drivers in club races. This means excellent support and communication, great customer service, use of social medias etc.. it needs many things to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.