Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango re-focus on local club racing >

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM
  #46  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,997
Default

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Interesting move,

Not sure if I fully understand it or agree with it.

This type of move is what can happen when there are people making decisions that are driven by numbers and the bottom line. It's no secret that the budgets for a fully supported and funded "Race team" are very high. Perhaps in a very disproportionate scale. Still, it's the nature of the beast to an extent, if the racing side is to be taken serious by the Mfg. There is still truth to the old adage of "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday", just like there is still truth in the other adage of "Want to make a million in Racing, start with 2 million". For whatever the reason, it has been deemed by those making the decisions, that there is little value to having or continuing a " Pro Race Team". Which is an easy conclusion to come to if the only thing that matters the most is the bottom line. It's a business decision for sure. One that has been made before by other Mfg.'s and will likely be made again by other Mfg.'s.

There are and have been a number of Mfg.'s that have good products, capable of race wins at the highest levels, but either cannot afford a full "Pro Race Team" or simply choose not to go that route. In that case, it's a hard sell to have high quality race grade kits and products, and not have the results to back up the claims. It speaks to the credibility of the Mfg. What Mfg. in their right mind would knowingly put out products, if they take the Racing side even remotely serious, with a tag line of "Run our brand, because we make the fastest, best, most sought after products in the World, that has never won _____ race"? If the racing is a priority for a Mfg., the short answer to the afore, is none would do that. So to that end, the race results to have a meaning for the Mfg. and unlike some thoughts, the Bigger the race the bigger the meaning or impact for the Mfg. Which if the mfg. is small or new, is an uphill battle for sure because with out the top tier caliber Drivers putting the product in the winner's circle or on the podium at the right races, the general public will tend to pan that Mfg. as being less of a high end product for racing. Like it or not, it is what it is.

Now if a Mfg. decides from the get go that Racing will not be their focus, then much of the above has no real bearing and is no real issue for them to even have to consider. Should a Mfg. decide to get into racing or out of racing, then some or much of the above could apply. it's a tricky path to navigate to be sure. Each with their own set(s) of pros and cons. Hopefully the decisions that have been made or will be made will be the correct course. Otherwise, the Durango brand can easily go the route of Traxxas and leave the racing to others and just focus on the money outside of racing, which they have clearly shown is far more without the hassle. Or maybe, they'll go the Tamiya route and still produce race quality kits and products and let the market decide if its worth using for racing. Time will tell. Hobbico/Durango have plenty of options they could explore, should they choose to do so.






I sure hope not Traxxas quality is bad ! They already have Arrma don't see the reason why they would not have a race made kits still..
tc5 man is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 PM
  #47  
Tech Master
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marietta, PA
Posts: 1,135
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I made the switch from Durango because I was unsure of the parts situation. There was a six month period where you couldn't get rear arms for the SC or ST. Luckily I didn't break one in that time period or I would have been in serious trouble. Then the body for the ST was listed as discontinued. Soon after that I switched. The ST was easily the best handling vehicle out of the box I have ever owned up to that point..I'm gonna miss it. I also had the nitro truggy and the same thing happened there....hard to get fuel tanks, tanks discontinued...couldn't get a front driveshaft, which sucked because they bent a little easy. I sold that one also.

Hopefully the "club racer" focus will mean you can actually get parts for them.
lappdawg27 is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 PM
  #48  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 112
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Move the brand forward

I personally have watched, and was an early adopter, of the Tekno brand which everyone said was a fail. Now locally every other car is a Tekno.

I have since switched to Durango SCT and Ebuggy and more recently the DEX410 (away from Schumacher). I'm loving the change and I've shown the Durango platforms are excellent. I still hear how many folks used to have this or that and have moved on. I can say first hand many of the old issue have been fixed or aftermarket has created the stronger part. I believe the reliability is excellent.

BTW, early on Tekno had no one winning on Sunday for me to be inspired by to purchase on Monday.

The Durango announcement has been made that the new fleet of models are arriving some time first of the year. Just wait, I suspect they will be huge improvements. I also expect the new move to be successful.

I hate to see Ryan Lutz leave but for a guy like me with no "full factory ride" this couldn't be better news.
Victory is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 PM
  #49  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

All I know about those brothers is....
I was looking to buy a dex408v2 5-6 months ago and I look on line and people are talking about how they stripped spur gears and none are available.....
So out of curiosity I go to like tower n amain n their estimated arrival date for spurs was like 4-5 months down the road.
This is absurd.

Imagine that.....you go spend like 12-1300 dollars n can't ride your "car" for 5 months cause they don't got spurs.
This is heinous...

.............

How can they have a race team when they don't got spur gears??

Only thing they should be racing is racing to the workshop n making some parts.
NickTheGreek is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 PM
  #50  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 273
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

All I know about those brothers is....
I was looking to buy a dex408v2 5-6 months ago and I look on line and people are talking about how they stripped spur gears and none are available.....
So out of curiosity I go to like tower n amain n their estimated arrival date for spurs was like 4-5 months down the road.
This is absurd.

Imagine that.....you go spend like 12-1300 dollars n can't ride your "car" for 5 months cause they don't got spurs.
This is heinous...

.............

How can they have a race team when they don't got spur gears??

Only thing they should be racing is racing to the workshop n making some parts.
NickTheGreek is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 PM
  #51  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South dakota
Posts: 276
Default

When I was in the market for a wheeler I looked at almost every brand. I chose durango because it was what I was looking for in a kit and could order it through my lhs. It does kinda blow that I can't walk into the said shop and pick up parts off the wall but I knew that before making the purchase. Back order parts also blow but I can remember not all that long ago tlr had a similar issue with the 22-4 parts. And x-Ray well I've heard u have to put up $10k initial purchase to become a dealer for them.

If durango can keep parts available for order and maby drop the prices a little that will be a plus. If that means no lutz or Neumann so be it. Like other have said I like to know my car can win but at the top level it's more the driver that the kit. And I think that point is even more revelant in club racing. Make a good produce that has features people are looking for and they will choose it. Durable kits with lots of tuning options is the name of the game nowadays.
Sodakota is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 03:32 AM
  #52  
Tech Master
iTrader: (38)
 
Redsawacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,149
Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)
Default

Seems to me that the marketing strategy of placing RTR vehicles on the market and having pro drivers winning races to make the TEAM DURANGO name capable of standing on its own feet worked! Now they are cutting the fat and shifting from a "lets pay people to drive our products and advertise" to a "lets sell our products to the loyal customers waiting to give us money" mentality!

I see many companies doing the "support the local racer" strategy. Sponsor drivers get a discount when the "BUY" products and they dont have to "PAY" people to advertise for them. Its a "win-win". So, will TD go this route? Maybe not. I do know this, there are 5 new platforms coming out this year - that means years of product support to follow.

With an organization like Hobbico financially backing TD, they are sure to make money...bottom line!

On the Discontinued issue...think about this: If you had 200,000 RC cars in a box in a warehouse and a new RC car ready for production, would you tell everyone there is a NEW RC ready for production or would you wait until the 200,000 units were sold first? With TD, when you see discontinued, you can expect to see another version or revision released soon after...TYPICALLY not always.

Nothing wrong with depleting old stock before you release the new stock.

To the issue of TD going "basher" - why? They have ARRMA for that.

I personally see this move as a good thing. Says they are doing well enough to no longer need sponsored pro drivers promoting their product. My only hope in all this, PRODUCT SUPPORT!! I NEED PARTS FASTER! But, thats already an issue so.....
Redsawacs is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 04:29 AM
  #53  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (71)
 
Bman's 3XNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

I've been a fan since my first DEX410 back in 2010. Love their vision and engineering style!! I will stick with them for now and see what direction they ultimately go. But, it does suck not to cheer for someone representing TD in large caliber races. I would check results for that purpose. TD dominates the EOS series, that is going to be interesting to see unfold....
Bman's 3XNT is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 05:23 AM
  #54  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AlanHall
I think they may have needed a strong local following in order for this to work. They don't really have that at all
Agreed. That's part of the problem that they'll face. I think focusing on the local racers CAN succeed BUT they need to do a LOT things right. Because of the parts experience that some have had or heard about with Durango, I'm not sure they'll get a fair shot.

I've personally seen Durango #'s dwindle at the tracks that I go to. Figuring out how to reverse this trend is issue #1 for them. Issue #2 is going to be convincing track owners to keep stocking parts. If they can figure these 2 things out, I think they have a shot. I just think that they'll be a race focused company but more entry-level/economical focused.

Tekno's actually going the opposite way right? I got the impression Joe Bornhorst left Serpent for Tekno over $$$. I saw an industry insider say that he thought Lutz was headed over to Tekno also because they've been on a spending spree. Guess we'll find out Friday.
shagino is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 AM
  #55  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,997
Default

Originally Posted by lappdawg27
I made the switch from Durango because I was unsure of the parts situation. There was a six month period where you couldn't get rear arms for the SC or ST. Luckily I didn't break one in that time period or I would have been in serious trouble. Then the body for the ST was listed as discontinued. Soon after that I switched. The ST was easily the best handling vehicle out of the box I have ever owned up to that point..I'm gonna miss it. I also had the nitro truggy and the same thing happened there....hard to get fuel tanks, tanks discontinued...couldn't get a front driveshaft, which sucked because they bent a little easy. I sold that one also.

Hopefully the "club racer" focus will mean you can actually get parts for them.




I'm surprised about the parts issue with the other Durangos because i know the Dex210 v2 always has the parts in stock at Tower and Amain . I did have to wait 3 weeks for gear diff on backorder not real bad .
tc5 man is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 AM
  #56  
Tech Regular
 
DRCRacer299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 496
Default

Lot's of comments in this one that i'm apt to throw my 2 cents into to clarify things.

1 - Durango has at least the 5 new race vehicles coming out that we had been working on for the past 2 years. They will be big improvements over past productions and they should perform very well. They have some good in-house drivers and engineers that will be able to continue to design and develop cars for them for the future.

2. - If you feel parts support being a problem was due to them having pro racers you are fooling yourself. (I personally sent at least 10 orders out to customers of spares in my own stock to keep them running when they couldn't find the part anywhere.) I could show you some nasty e-mails I received from angry customers just for my part in supporting a company with such poor part support. :-/

3. The transition for Durango to Hobbico ownership has been a rocky one and obviously not one without issues. They are turning the tide now and there really should be light at the end of the tunnel here for them. They have fixed some issues and put some steps into place to correct many of their past issues. Things really were looking brighter for them IMO going forward.

4. Until, they decided to now drop the entire pro team. I'm still shocked by this decision (my decision to leave seems to be the catalyst that started this).

5. If you think a pro driver has no value in a company outside of taking up money and making kits more expensive then you have no idea. A properly used pro driver can assist with advertising, marketing, customer service, development, ext. Also if you feel a pro has no value to a team just because their set-ups don't work for you, then you haven't fully utilized the fact that you can either contact many by social media, or at the races to say what your car is doing that isn't working and they can help you trouble shoot to make it better. Just because their set-up doesn't work for you doesn't mean they can't help advise you how to improve your set-up based on what you say it's doing.

6. This whole local club racer thing... If you think having a pro driver was keeping them from having local club support, again, mistake. Every other team out there has pretty good 'grass roots' penetration now. In fact, it is this grass roots penetration of regional sponsored drivers who ultimately are the ones who help fund the pro race team. The fact the Durango wasn't able to develop a large enough one of these teams is not the fault of having pro drivers. It lies deeper. But I do see them doing what they say and growing this aspect in the future as they have finally put the pieces in internally to make it happen. But it wasn't a pro drivers fault that it didn't happen before. :-/

Anyways if you've read my posts before I just can't keep quiet when I see so much misinformation going around. I believe in more transparency and I hope this clears up some info.
DRCRacer299 is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 AM
  #57  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Well said. Best of luck to you.

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
1 - Durango has at least the 5 new race vehicles coming out that we had been working on for the past 2 years. They will be big improvements over past productions and they should perform very well. They have some good in-house drivers and engineers that will be able to continue to design and develop cars for them for the future.
It was previously announced that the eighth scale line was being revamped. Have to think a few of these are those. In light of this week's announcement, I worry that the products will be rushed.

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
2. - If you feel parts support being a problem was due to them having pro racers you are fooling yourself. (I personally sent at least 10 orders out to customers of spares in my own stock to keep them running when they couldn't find the part anywhere.) I could show you some nasty e-mails I received from angry customers just for my part in supporting a company with such poor part support. :-/
Great point. Horrible parts support has nothing to do with a pro team. Poor parts support is a very fast way to alienate those driving that product.

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
6. This whole local club racer thing... If you think having a pro driver was keeping them from having local club support, again, mistake. Every other team out there has pretty good 'grass roots' penetration now. In fact, it is this grass roots penetration of regional sponsored drivers who ultimately are the ones who help fund the pro race team. The fact the Durango wasn't able to develop a large enough one of these teams is not the fault of having pro drivers. It lies deeper. But I do see them doing what they say and growing this aspect in the future as they have finally put the pieces in internally to make it happen. But it wasn't a pro drivers fault that it didn't happen before. :-/
Agreed. Whatever they have planned here probably could have been done in conjunction with a pro team. I hope for their sake it works. I just wont be along for the ride.
shagino is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 AM
  #58  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Teufel Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sparks Nv.
Posts: 2,228
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
Lot's of comments in this one that i'm apt to throw my 2 cents into to clarify things.

1 - Durango has at least the 5 new race vehicles coming out that we had been working on for the past 2 years. They will be big improvements over past productions and they should perform very well. They have some good in-house drivers and engineers that will be able to continue to design and develop cars for them for the future.

2. - If you feel parts support being a problem was due to them having pro racers you are fooling yourself. (I personally sent at least 10 orders out to customers of spares in my own stock to keep them running when they couldn't find the part anywhere.) I could show you some nasty e-mails I received from angry customers just for my part in supporting a company with such poor part support. :-/

3. The transition for Durango to Hobbico ownership has been a rocky one and obviously not one without issues. They are turning the tide now and there really should be light at the end of the tunnel here for them. They have fixed some issues and put some steps into place to correct many of their past issues. Things really were looking brighter for them IMO going forward.

4. Until, they decided to now drop the entire pro team. I'm still shocked by this decision (my decision to leave seems to be the catalyst that started this).

5. If you think a pro driver has no value in a company outside of taking up money and making kits more expensive then you have no idea. A properly used pro driver can assist with advertising, marketing, customer service, development, ext. Also if you feel a pro has no value to a team just because their set-ups don't work for you, then you haven't fully utilized the fact that you can either contact many by social media, or at the races to say what your car is doing that isn't working and they can help you trouble shoot to make it better. Just because their set-up doesn't work for you doesn't mean they can't help advise you how to improve your set-up based on what you say it's doing.

6. This whole local club racer thing... If you think having a pro driver was keeping them from having local club support, again, mistake. Every other team out there has pretty good 'grass roots' penetration now. In fact, it is this grass roots penetration of regional sponsored drivers who ultimately are the ones who help fund the pro race team. The fact the Durango wasn't able to develop a large enough one of these teams is not the fault of having pro drivers. It lies deeper. But I do see them doing what they say and growing this aspect in the future as they have finally put the pieces in internally to make it happen. But it wasn't a pro drivers fault that it didn't happen before. :-/

Anyways if you've read my posts before I just can't keep quiet when I see so much misinformation going around. I believe in more transparency and I hope this clears up some info.
Thanks Ryan,

Your sir are a blessing to the world of RC.

Now just let the cat out of the bag on where you're headed to next. I know where ever that may be, some team or some Mfg. will be better with you. Hope all works out for ya.
Teufel Racing is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:22 PM
  #59  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 46
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Where does part support stand today (specifically the DESC210r)? I'm new to the hobby and am considering the Durango SCT.....looking on line I see a lot of in-stock parts.
Which parts are most likely to break? And are they in short supply?
twinrider1 is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:53 PM
  #60  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by twinrider1
Where does part support stand today (specifically the DESC210r)? I'm new to the hobby and am considering the Durango SCT.....looking on line I see a lot of in-stock parts.
Which parts are most likely to break? And are they in short supply?
I'd see how this plays out if you are seriously considering Durango. Finding the rear arms were a bit of a problem for a while. I think it's better now though. Some people think a SC truck could be one of the new models being slated for release.

My Durango served me well, but it was time for a switch and my Serpent is even faster. It'll take a lot for me to ever consider Durango again.
shagino is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.