Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango re-focus on local club racing >

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 PM
  #16  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Well i think most manufactures are tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the one company that turns big profits and does not care about the race scene, roar, ifmar and so on and so forth. That company is traxxas. Traxxas is practically printing money and find a hobby shop you cant find traxxas parts. For a company we all feel is not race worthy they sure dominate wall space.

BTW i have never owned anything Traxxas.
Beaker151 is offline  
Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM
  #17  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (13)
 
Errokk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mckenzie, TN
Posts: 659
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Beaker151
Well i think most manufactures are tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the one company that turns big profits and does not care about the race scene, roar, ifmar and so on and so forth. That company is traxxas. Traxxas is practically printing money and find a hobby shop you cant find traxxas parts. For a company we all feel is not race worthy they sure dominate wall space.

BTW i have never owned anything Traxxas.
The reason for this is they're cheap, cheaply manufactured, and they make sure they're in every store with loads of parts and upgrades for "Jon Doe" to spend all his cash on.
They leave enough meat on the bone for the LHS to make a good lick off the parts and upgrades so they're more inclined to push the sale of their products. Smart marketing!

BTW, if it weren't for Traxxas, I wouldn't be racing rc, I'd still be flying. Still have my first slash, although it's only used to entertain my 3yr old grandson.
Errokk is offline  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:13 PM
  #18  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
seankyew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Equator
Posts: 443
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Shawn_S

This smells like a cost-cutting measure, pure and simple.
It is.
seankyew is offline  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 PM
  #19  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Errokk
The reason for this is they're cheap, cheaply manufactured, and they make sure they're in every store with loads of parts and upgrades for "Jon Doe" to spend all his cash on.
They leave enough meat on the bone for the LHS to make a good lick off the parts and upgrades so they're more inclined to push the sale of their products. Smart marketing!

BTW, if it weren't for Traxxas, I wouldn't be racing rc, I'd still be flying. Still have my first slash, although it's only used to entertain my 3yr old grandson.
I agree for me it was tamiya in the early 80's. When i first heard the name traxxas it was the trx -1 and the blue eagle, they were the cars to have for racing. I have spent time im my local hobby shop and watched guys drop $600 dollars on their Traxxas car for a hop up to beat their buddy bashing in the local parking lot or field. I am purely a racer and it does blow my mind what we call bashers will spend without thinking to get one up one their buddy.
Beaker151 is offline  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
  #20  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,997
Default

Originally Posted by Beaker151
I agree for me it was tamiya in the early 80's. When i first heard the name traxxas it was the trx -1 and the blue eagle, they were the cars to have for racing. I have spent time im my local hobby shop and watched guys drop $600 dollars on their Traxxas car for a hop up to beat their buddy bashing in the local parking lot or field. I am purely a racer and it does blow my mind what we call bashers will spend without thinking to get one up one their buddy.
'


Than they realize bashers that all the money in hop ups spend on a Traxxas they could of got a better brand and cheaper lol.
tc5 man is offline  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 PM
  #21  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (53)
 
Pauly6401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 673
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Scroll down like 4 stories on Red RC and get to this announcement:

http://www.redrc.net/2014/11/ryan-lu...-team-durango/
Pauly6401 is offline  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
  #22  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Canberra Aus
Posts: 88
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

they might even get some 1/8 scale cars in the stores
rcnutbag00 is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:35 AM
  #23  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
RC10Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,958
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Team Durango's car are pretty good. Even the original Dex210 still has more features than the 22 2.0 and b5, and that came out years ago. Their Achilles heel, however, has been support. They're great cars, but it's hard waiting months for a part to come off of back order, and unless you carry spares of everything (I do), a broken part at the track can mean the end of the day. The other thing I think keeping many people away is their insistence on odd size wheel hexes. Just go 12mm like everyone else.

If Durango really can improve their parts support, especially for the cars they seem to have "forgotten," like desc210, desc410, and dest210, they will have a better shot of gaining market share. I think wising up about the 12mm hexes will do them a world of good as well. It's hard to poach drivers from other brands if they can't take their wheels/tires with them, and it's an ever harder sell convincing them to go to a car that can't use the latest wheel/tire technology.

I do like the idea of getting more local drivers. Where I race, out of 30ish 2wd buggy entries that show up at the track, I'm usually the only one with a dex210. I can't imagine many other tracks are different at all. Try to get more local hotshots driving them. People buy what wins, even if that win is only a club race. In fact, I'd be willing to bet people are more inclined to buy what they see winning at their track more than what they see winning at a nats/worlds.
RC10Nick is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:06 AM
  #24  
Tech Master
iTrader: (65)
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,415
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default team durango

I own many durango cars including the dex210, dex410, desc210 and desc410. The only one that is superior in its class is the desc410 and that is because it is a 1/10 based 4wd sct, versus the 1/8 based competition. It is lighter and much more nimble than other 4wd sct's, but at a cost of durability. None of the kits have had any new major revisions in close to 3 years (I am not counting the new body clips in the dex410v4.)

Durango made a decision to go after the lower end of the market with lower priced kits and rtr bundles (like traxxas, but at a lower price point.) I believe great planes owns durango, and now durango kits are discontinued on towers web site. Since tower is great planes, this is not a good sign. Couple that with the end of the durango factory team, and what you are left with is aarma (durango's lower level, rtr brand.) The question about the new kits are whether they will be race level or basher level. I get the feeling they will be basher level (again, like traxxas.)

You have to remember that durango was only started in 2009, so they lasted for 4 years as a race level brand.

To me, this refocus on the club level is not just a cost cutting move (because I don't think the "team" cost that much,) but it is a refocus for the company away from racing and back to bashing (which as traxxas has shown, is where the money is.)

I expect to see even more durango cars in the for sale section at fire sale prices.
billjacobs is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 AM
  #25  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
trick25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,299
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

i have sold 2 of the 3 druango cars i owned and kept the best one(dest210r). and yes their biggest downfall is part support. if durango wants to be anything like traxxas in the basher market. they have a long long way to go. did i say long way?
trick25 is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
  #26  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHOENIX AZ
Posts: 690
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I agree with the wins at the club level going further than the big races, I think most club racers will have the prespective of it won last night what do i want today. I know that for me it is about parts availability I would not even consider buying a vehicle that i cannot walk into the track that i race at and grab at least 50% of the parts for the vehicle, simply because i look forward to racing all week and i crash and break parts. i dont want to get to the track and mess up and break my car 1 minute into practice and have to go home and wait 3-5 days for the part.
jslider is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 07:31 AM
  #27  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Their Achilles heel, however, has been support. They're great cars, but it's hard waiting months for a part to come off of back order, and unless you carry spares of everything (I do), a broken part at the track can mean the end of the day. The other thing I think keeping many people away is their insistence on odd size wheel hexes. Just go 12mm like everyone else.
Parts support at tracks are going to be even harder to get with this announcement. Agreed on 12mm wheels. Too late to switch now though. They'll only piss off existing drivers.

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
If Durango really can improve their parts support, especially for the cars they seem to have "forgotten," like desc210, desc410, and dest210, they will have a better shot of gaining market share. I think wising up about the 12mm hexes will do them a world of good as well. It's hard to poach drivers from other brands if they can't take their wheels/tires with them, and it's an ever harder sell convincing them to go to a car that can't use the latest wheel/tire technology.
The biggest reason I switched was because I felt that TD stopped supporting many of these. I just thought the focus was being put on buggies. This announcement was worse than what I was thinking. I hope it works. I have a soft spot for TD since they brought me back into the hobby.

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I do like the idea of getting more local drivers. Where I race, out of 30ish 2wd buggy entries that show up at the track, I'm usually the only one with a dex210. I can't imagine many other tracks are different at all. Try to get more local hotshots driving them. People buy what wins, even if that win is only a club race. In fact, I'd be willing to bet people are more inclined to buy what they see winning at their track more than what they see winning at a nats/worlds.
That's how it is at the tracks I go to. Durango's are way down in numbers. Let's use your case as an example. While way more people do buy what's winning at the track, that means for Durango to succeed at the track, you'll have to flat out dominate. Then it'll still take a few to switch before the track even thinks about stocking parts.

If you're dominating at your local track, what would convince you to switch from whatever you are driving to TD? Being on the local team? The catch is that you won't go any farther so you'd have to be comfortable with that.

Getting local hotshots is the key indeed. The problem is that a lot of local hotshots have some sort of deal in place already.

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Durango made a decision to go after the lower end of the market with lower priced kits and rtr bundles (like traxxas, but at a lower price point.) I believe great planes owns durango, and now durango kits are discontinued on towers web site. Since tower is great planes, this is not a good sign. Couple that with the end of the durango factory team, and what you are left with is aarma (durango's lower level, rtr brand.) The question about the new kits are whether they will be race level or basher level. I get the feeling they will be basher level (again, like traxxas.)

You have to remember that durango was only started in 2009, so they lasted for 4 years as a race level brand.

To me, this refocus on the club level is not just a cost cutting move (because I don't think the "team" cost that much,) but it is a refocus for the company away from racing and back to bashing (which as traxxas has shown, is where the money is.)

I expect to see even more durango cars in the for sale section at fire sale prices.
Well said. I personally think this ends Durango's run as a race brand myself. It'll be a good starter brand but when it's time to take the next step, it won't be with Durango for many new drivers.
shagino is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM
  #28  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Hoese37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by theclutch
http://www.redrc.net/2014/11/team-du...ng/#more-88392

Hmmm.... not sure I'm in agreement with this. As a hobbyist, I like to take pride in stating that the car I own is driven by so and so and is winning this and that race. After all, we are racing and we want the bragging rights. i'm very curious as to how Durango believes that they can actually reach more customers by improving their local scene. Sounds good on paper, but I'd like to know how they actually implement it. Otherwise, it just sounds like all talk to me. The proof will be in the pudding...
Originally Posted by Jmuck69
It's Hobbico's decision which owns Durango. Hobbico has always believed in the local hobbyist and club level racer. If it's a good decision or bad decision, only time will tell.
Originally Posted by Shawn_S
What does "focusing on the club racer" even mean? Is any club racer going to discounts on parts, kits? Just having essential parts for your vehicles, isn't focusing on anything....

This smells like a cost-cutting measure, pure and simple.
Originally Posted by hakmazter
It sounds like they are trying to reduce their overhead by eliminating the pro team. It also sounds like they are trying to bypass the dealers by going direct to the consumer. I would imagine it is because of lack of support from the stores. They need at least 100 dealers on board and buying stuff in order to make it and I bet that number is significantly less. Going direct and offering "support" or "sponsorship" will increase their bottom line and help hide the lack of parts availability across the US. Just order from the factory/distributor and it simplifies a lot of things, but at the end of the day, it will be a fail because most people who want to be on a team do not do what it takes to do it effectively. nothing worse than breaking a small part without a backup and without a hobby store with it in stock whether it is club night or a major event.

Should be a fun year to see who survives. The market is hugely over saturated and the audience in most areas is getting smaller unfortunately.
This is the exact route Tamiya went.
Hoese37 is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
  #29  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
RC10Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,958
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by shagino
Parts support at tracks are going to be even harder to get with this announcement. Agreed on 12mm wheels. Too late to switch now though. They'll only piss off existing drivers.
While that may be true, think of it this way. At my track, 1 out of 30 guys has a durango. If switching to 12mm hex attracts 4 of those non TD guys to switch, it's worth pissing off that 1 driver they already have. Plus, in my case, I'd be happy to have a TD option to run 12mm hexes.

It doesn't sound like TD is going away from a race company, so I don't think we need to worry about them turning into the next Traxxas. Their announcement is pretty vague about what they plan to do, so it's hard to say if it's better or worse than what any of us might have expected or wanted to hear.

With 5 new releases coming out, and the two main buggies already having their latest versions released this year, I'd put money on 2 of those 5 releases being updates to their SC line.
RC10Nick is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM
  #30  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Default

Hobbico also owns axial and arma so why would they turn durrango into a basher grade too.
rctinman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.