Wiki Posts
Search

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ldog
... I think team durango is desperate to sell new kits they came out with , they have all that time and money involved and they are gettin there butts kicked by mugen , losi, techno , serpent. Nobody runs durango stuff and it's not cuz it's bad stuff , it just doesn't work as good as the other kits....
Dunno about that. My Durangos have always worked great out of the box. I still need to give them THAT credit. But support has been lacking at the hobby shop and, it appears, at the end user level as well. Taking support out of the equation, I would have purchased the same cars all over again. But since support IS in question, as of today, I won't do it. This is why I bought the Xray vs. the DEX410 even though I already had 2 Durango cars. Seems like they took some major steps backwards.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I switched over from TLR to Durango, I haven't looked back. The cars are all very stable, they have great quality and are WAY easier to work on then any of the other cars I've owned. They're stupid fast and great to drive. With that said, I knew that buying these cars I was going to have to be my own hobby shop and keep all the parts I ever think that I might need on hand. Our local track and hobby shop does a good job of keeping most parts in but the side bar stuff, the unusual breaks are the ones you have to watch out for. I have tried to email staff about certain things and really haven't been to impressed by the responses. If it weren't for guys like Dino keeping the pages alive similarly to Frank Root (TLR) or Tony Newland (Schumacher) people may have lost interest in these cars along time ago.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...-team-durango/

I don't get it... From above, it seems that they are back on the "Team Durango" bandwagon? So have they reversed direction?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Yeah I don't get it either, It seems like they have team drivers outside of the states still. Maybe they just cut the guys from the U.S.?
Old 05-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Laker67
Yeah I don't get it either, It seems like they have team drivers outside of the states still. Maybe they just cut the guys from the U.S.?
It's not just US since they ditched Eliott Harper who they just recently signed for touring cars. And, of course, their star driver Jorn Neumann who went on to Serpent.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think they are just keeping the team 'lean'. I'm sure they'll keep a few 'top level' guys onboard, just not big "Pros". These top level guys will help with research and more importantly product support, e.g. how to videos like Travis does for the 1/8 scale stuff. Their focus is still the grass roots, club racer which is evident in the amount of tips, tricks and set up information on their website. Far more than I've found on any other manufacturer's site and one of the main reasons I'm switching from AE to TD. I could care less about a pro drivers set up, it probably won't work for me but, showing me how to get more steering, or showing me the affects of rear toe allow me to experiment on my own and get MY set up just the way I like it. I like this new direction Durango is taking.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

Hello All,

Please re-read the press release again.

The only team that was dissolved was the Pro team, the guys that we paid to race our cars. the guys that we flew around the world to race at events. essentially paying for race results.

Every other team member all over the world is still very welcome, imagine a pyramid of team drivers, instead of our focus being on the few incredibly skilled well paid pro racers at the very top our focus is below that right down to the bottom.

Our aim is to broaden the mid and base of the pyramid and this helps to get knowledgeable and helpful TD racers out to local, regional and national races to support customers and less experienced racers.

So there is no u-turn, what you are seeing is actually our plan in action.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs down Out of Stock

Out of stock on center diff and front bumper for DESC10 until mid October. My season is over. Thanks Team Durango.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I loved my team durango vehicles. But the biggest issue was getting parts. I have no local hobby shops that carry parts for them and I was waiting months to get them online from the same people who own team durango. So I sold all of my stuff and went to another brand. That may not be feasible for everyone so to those I wish luck. Hopefully things will turn for Team Durango but without having people you can contact with setup questions or someone to be their voice at the tracks I'm afraid it isn't looking good but hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love to race or just drive my Durango`s.
May or may not be the best cars around, but besides Tamiya, no other rc cars make me feel like Durango.
As with my Kawazaki ZXR 750 (92-mod) and Audi RS2, I will never sell my Durango cars
Parts takes 7-10 days from Tower or Amain
Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Back in Business

Originally Posted by IJoker
Out of stock on center diff and front bumper for DESC10 until mid October. My season is over. Thanks Team Durango.
Well I have been working directly with Team Durango support. They are able to get me the necessary parts somehow. So a big shout out to Team Durango and their support team helping me continue my race season. Next Event Summer Sizzler at A-Main Speedway, Pueblo Colorado.
Attached Thumbnails Team Durango re-focus on local club racing-summer-sizzler.jpg   Team Durango re-focus on local club racing-td-logo-medium-.png  
Old 08-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have raced Durango's for years and have never had an issue...Tower, ebay and Amain....LHS can get next day....maybe I've had 5 years good luck
Old 08-13-2015, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've only been with the team for a short while now but I haven't had any issues getting parts. One of the things I always tell guys, no matter what brand you run, keep an eye out for a used car. Even if it's not race worthy, it will still make for a good parts car when you're in a pinch.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
I've only been with the team for a short while now but I haven't had any issues getting parts. One of the things I always tell guys, no matter what brand you run, keep an eye out for a used car. Even if it's not race worthy, it will still make for a good parts car when you're in a pinch.
I wouldn't expect a team driver to have any issues with the team they run

I raced AE cars before I got into Durango cars and can say I honestly miss being able to walk into any store and buy what I need, or bum a part off of someone in the pits. Being so far behind on 12mm hexes on their 1/10th scale cars is pretty annoying, too. With that said, the features that made durango cars stand out from the competition 3 years ago have now been incorporated by other manufacturers (mid motor, caster/camber/toe inserts, quick access diffs, etc). The cars don't stand out from the competition as much as they used to. Despite the lack of local support, the customer service provided through hobbico was outstanding when I had issues with kits and parts. I called them up on the phone and a few days later I had the parts in my hand. However, the only reason I needed the support was because of poor quality control on parts. The dex410 I was building had metal parts that did not fit together, and outdrives I had purchased for my dex210 lasted a whopping two days before getting worn out to the point that they started snapping CVDs (and the replacements they sent didn't do too much better either).

Durango used to be a stand out brand, but now their cars are pretty typical compared to the competition which makes it hard to ignore all the other little nagging things about them.

I was excited to see their "re-focus on club racing" initiative, but after 9 months I don't think they have much to show for it other than some new cars that seem to have the same old support issues their existing line up had.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I wouldn't expect a team driver to have any issues with the team they run
You wouldn't expect that, but sadly it happens. I've run into that (and so have many of my friends) where the company says Oh, AMain (or someone else) bought all of our 'Insert part name here'. We'll have more in a week or so and save you guys some parts.