Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango re-focus on local club racing >

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by fredswain
I've been pretty harsh with Durango lately. Hell, I've been pretty harsh with everyone lately. Much of my criticism with Durango has been due to my inherent bias against 1/8 scale which really stems from the local 1/8 scale people and their elitist attitudes and superiority complex towards 1/10. That's hardly the fault of Durango or 1/8 scale in general but rather a local problem from a few people. After realizing that I was griping in literally every thread I posted in, including being a bit overly harsh with Dino in the 210 thread, I decided to calm myself and rethink some things. So now with a somewhat clearer mind, here are my thoughts on Durango and their new cars and strategy.

I support it. Do I necessarily agree with all of their engineering? No. What I do agree with is their choice to no longer go after sponsored pro drivers and to generally not announce anything until it's ready. At this time it seems like the best idea. It doesn't have to be a permanent one. It's very easy to second guess something that you aren't a part of. First off, why do they need a pro driver? What does a car in the IFMAR world finals really do for business? Does that driver always equal a return on the investment in them? Let's make the assumption that money is finite. You've got to have a budget. Companies that can't work within a budget and make a profit aren't companies for very long. Durango already hurt their image by having poor parts support BUT they had pro drivers. The club racer that can't get parts isn't going to be using their product for very long and will ultimately slam the company, which will spread. That's something that a couple of pro drivers can never offset. Once your image is damaged, results are sometimes not enough to overcome it. At least, not for a long time. We look at Durango from the standpoint of what we would like to see them do which benefits our own personal interests. I've been guilty of that too. Big time!

There is an rc company out there that I have the utmost respect for. They are hugely successful and don't follow the same trends and ideas that most others do, and that's Traxxas. From a business standpoint it's hard to hate them. They don't play other people's games. They don't have cars in National and World level competitions. You'll never see them win the IFMAR worlds. They have a business structure that meets the needs of a segment of the market and they excel at it. They design new cars that use as many existing parts as possible. That's smart. Molds are expensive. Very expensive. It also means it's easier to stock spare parts. They don't necessarily build vehicles to meet ROAR guidelines. They do their own thing. That's something that Tamiya did and still does although they also build to compete. Without the Slash, we wouldn't have the short course class today. Others copied their sizing. Losi tried in the 90's with the Heavy Metal conversion for the XX4 but it just didn't work. There are spec series that are centered solely around the 1/18 Latrax Rally car. I have one and race in the series. It's huge here and lots of fun.

The point I'm trying to make isn't that Durango should be the next Traxxas. I'm not even suggesting that quality is going to go down or needs to. What I am saying is that only they understand their financials and they are making decisions that they feel are best for the survival and prosperity of the company. We may not agree with everything and if it's a deal killer, there are other options out there. I'm going to fully support their strategy since I think in the long term, variety is a good thing. Who knows, at some point they may start a new trend that takes off too.

Honestly i never understood the lack of support thing people talk about with Durango on parts when there Tower, Amain, Omni hobbies, and acutally others that carry them . You just gota search around most of time the parts are in stock.

I haven't broke much at all on my 2wd buggy accept the inner rear suspension block once .
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
The thing that you've got to remember about a parent/child company relationship is that much like real parents and children, the parent company won't necessarily just outright fund everything that the child company wants. Big companies buy smaller ones because they think they can benefit financially from it. Sometimes they choose wrong and lose money. They are also known to dissolve or sell off those companies to cut their losses. As a financial backer, if you see a business strategy that you disagree with or feel won't give you a good return, you definitely won't be throwing much money at it. I suspect something like that is happening here. They've probably been given a finite budget and told to make it work and it probably wasn't the amount they'd have hoped for. Prove yourselves and you'll get more. Engineers and accountants are always fighting each other. When the engineers win, profitability may suffer. When the accountants win, performance and reliability suffer. It's all about balance and you can't do it on a large scale if you can't get it done at the smaller level first.
Very true. You could easily be correct. At east they do have a way to move product better than most places do but your right that is only a tiny part of it.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well...that about settles it... Durango's GREAT loss is now Serpent's gain... Serpent will be back on the offroad map very quickly...

http://www.redrc.net/2015/02/jorn-ne...-with-serpent/
Old 02-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theclutch
Well...that about settles it... Durango's GREAT loss is now Serpent's gain... Serpent will be back on the offroad map very quickly...

http://www.redrc.net/2015/02/jorn-ne...-with-serpent/
Definitely cool to see the those guys, Jorn, Gerd, and Hugo, back together.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Drivers are always moving around. If any one company was perfect, they'd never leave.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Honestly i never understood the lack of support thing people talk about with Durango on parts when there Tower, Amain, Omni hobbies, and acutally others that carry them . You just gota search around most of time the parts are in stock.

I haven't broke much at all on my 2wd buggy accept the inner rear suspension block once .
They have random parts out of stock for months at a time. You may be able to find them if you hunt 20 different sites.

Like the little steering c-hub bushing. Those were out of stock last year for 2 months.

Also local support is big for some people. I don't know anyone, track or shop, that carries Durango around Denver.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Barge
They have random parts out of stock for months at a time. You may be able to find them if you hunt 20 different sites.

Like the little steering c-hub bushing. Those were out of stock last year for 2 months.

Also local support is big for some people. I don't know anyone, track or shop, that carries Durango around Denver.

I know with the Dex210 V2 the parts are always in stock . Others some sites do have the parts in stock for the other models.

Maybe it will change though now .

The tracks i go to most run Associated and Losi but i dint want to be like everybody else so i dint care if the shop carried the parts . There is two other guys who run Xray buggys also.' Ive ran Associated and Losi more than once before.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Kit part #'s
DEX8: TD102038 ----519 euro
DEX8T: TD102039 ----549 euro
DNX8: TD102040 ----529 euro
DNX8T: TD102041 ----TBD

If you Google any of those part #'s you will get a German site with some prices on the kits.
(price is in Euros of corse)
Old 05-09-2015, 06:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Building dex8T kit and realizing there is a problem with spring length out of the box... Not sure how they plan to support local racers but this is my experience with TD/hobbico...

I wrote [email protected] the 30th of april, pinged back the 04th without any answer.
Wrote [email protected] AND [email protected] the 5th
Wrote [email protected] and [email protected] the 6th

Wrote on TeamDurango page for guidance the 6th, posted pics the 7th.

Finally gave up and called hobbico, talked to a guy whom asked me to send pic.
Pics and bill sent the 7th.

Nothing yet, nada, zilch, zippo appart from the automated answers.

My guess would be that I am not racer enough, or local enough.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Orph3o
Building dex8T kit and realizing there is a problem with spring length out of the box... Not sure how they plan to support local racers but this is my experience with TD/hobbico...

I wrote [email protected] the 30th of april, pinged back the 04th without any answer.
Wrote [email protected] AND [email protected] the 5th
Wrote [email protected] and [email protected] the 6th

Wrote on TeamDurango page for guidance the 6th, posted pics the 7th.

Finally gave up and called hobbico, talked to a guy whom asked me to send pic.
Pics and bill sent the 7th.

Nothing yet, nada, zilch, zippo appart from the automated answers.

My guess would be that I am not racer enough, or local enough.
Yeah sadly their support is never consistent. Good one day, terrible the next.

They send you the wrong springs ? Or wrong shocks ? Seem alot of posts of shock quality issues (I had some myself with the DNX8).
Old 05-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I don't think they mistmatched parts, to me it's a design flaw... fully preloaded I can't get driveshaft horizontal, they're a bit too mellow too. I have posted (with pics) on the Dex8T thread.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/articles/sponsored/there-is-more-to-team-durango-than-you-might-realize/

They should have stuck to just talking about the tech portion and not have to say:

"The thing about Team Durango many people donít realize is how they offer premium racing equipment, but also are passionate about supporting their driverís, even if youíre a mid-level racer.

You donít have to be considered an elite racer, or one with a long history in racing to be part of Team Durango. They want you if youíre a mid-level racer, and they will support you like few other companies."

Because that just sounds like marketing BS and they don't follow through with hobby shop owners and racers...
Old 05-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

I also had a problem with my kit , they forgot my rear shock mount ,emailed them 2 weeks ago heard nothing , so I just ordered from my local hobby shop , had part in one day. I think team durango is desperate to sell new kits they came out with , they have all that time and money involved and they are gettin there butts kicked by mugen , losi, techno , serpent. Nobody runs durango stuff and it's not cuz it's bad stuff , it just doesn't work as good as the other kits , I know you can get any car to handle the way you want with tuning, but I think you can only go so far until u realize that it doesn't work. I had the dex8 and it's a great car , problem is I couldn't get it to handle better then my mugen. I think that's what durango did is they built this car for the local racer , easy to drive , stable , I think they just built a car that will handle well , but not great , just enough to keep ppl happy . I think team durango is on the rite track , give them some time and I think they will be doing just fine.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Support

I don't think anyone is getting anywhere with email support. You have to call them, once you do they are able to lookup the email you sent them. I think part of the problem is that they are part of a big distributor now with multiple brands. The rep I reached didn't even know Durango made a DESC10 but was able to find it in his system and find the parts I had issues with.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ldog
I also had a problem with my kit , they forgot my rear shock mount ,emailed them 2 weeks ago heard nothing , so I just ordered from my local hobby shop , had part in one day. I think team durango is desperate to sell new kits they came out with , they have all that time and money involved and they are gettin there butts kicked by mugen , losi, techno , serpent. Nobody runs durango stuff and it's not cuz it's bad stuff , it just doesn't work as good as the other kits , I know you can get any car to handle the way you want with tuning, but I think you can only go so far until u realize that it doesn't work. I had the dex8 and it's a great car , problem is I couldn't get it to handle better then my mugen. I think that's what durango did is they built this car for the local racer , easy to drive , stable , I think they just built a car that will handle well , but not great , just enough to keep ppl happy . I think team durango is on the rite track , give them some time and I think they will be doing just fine.

Really i saw more than a few of the new Durango 1/8 E buggy and SC at the outdoor tracks i go to this season.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.