RC racing seminars

Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Default RC racing seminars

I was wondering if any track/club owners hold seminars for kids and/or beginners? I think it would be a good idea to get more people interested in the hobby and feel more comfortable.

Thought?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

I know two tracks in my area that host beginners nights. I think they talk about setup or driving tips, then just left them practice. I also think its cheaper than a club race too.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Sounds good and a great idea but most tracks don't do it .
Old 11-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

I think it would be great if a lot of tracks would do something similar. There is a lot of different aspects to rc racing or just rc in general. Electronics, physics, mechanical, etc...i just hope more people get interested in the hobby as I see a lot of hobby shops closing down.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I know that one of my tracks just had Adam Drake come down for a few days and hold a driving school. Feedback was very positive and guys were saying it was very surprising and educational to get insight to the rc world from a pro driving.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was talking to my LHS/track about doing something like this. I said I'd volunteer my time and teach them but i'm drawing a complete blank on what to teach them. I went to make an agenda or list of things to teach but it's just an empty .txt file. I don't even know where to begin.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Start with the different classes and explain those, go over generals of electronics ie esc motors servos keep it basic but give them the info to know when to ask more, some driving etiquette and general instructions on marshaling, how the typical race night format runs and let them know to ask questions if they run into problems with set ups or equipment not just with you but with most experienced guys hit the high points keep it general and remember they will forget 90 percent of it. I think the most important part of it is showing them the fun and possibilities of the hobby and that there is a face that they know on race night. I tthink this benefits all involved
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Just use the beginner forum on here for a starting point. Maybe even bring a slash rtr or something for someone to try. I don't think beginners should be taught setups but more along the lines of esc/battery/motor talk and then maybe some basic talk on tires. Talk about racing lines, corner entry, etc...
Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IntegraMark View Post
I was talking to my LHS/track about doing something like this. I said I'd volunteer my time and teach them but i'm drawing a complete blank on what to teach them. I went to make an agenda or list of things to teach but it's just an empty .txt file. I don't even know where to begin.
Help the new guys to make sure their car is set up reasonably well (have all the same tires, the simple stuff). Maybe have a slow race so the new guys know what to expect in a race. Have a heat and a main......just so its not so intimidating when you start racing.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

X Factory's president and chief engineer Paul Sinclair has done a number of seminars in 2014 and has another one scheduled for Dec 5 at R.E.O. Speedway in Rockport, Indiana. For all these events the track has held the seminar on Friday night with a trophy race Saturday. Practice on Friday and the seminar are free for race entrants, so it's a great deal.

Paul covers a myriad of subjects from driving technique to tires to set-up, answers questions, shows you how he prepares his cars, and works with novices too. The format is quite loose, and the info flows freely.

Podcasts of three seminars are available for listening and downloading on our web site, www.XFactoryRC.com. There is video (it's actually a number of them for the whole thing) of the one done at RedNeck R/C on www.RCSoup.com.

Paul is available to do this type of event at any track that wants him. All we ask is that the track cover our travel cost, and so far every track has more than made that money back through increased entries. Track owners should contact X Factory at [email protected].