R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The screeching, screaming noise that hurts your ears is the sound of a bad bearing that's gone way too far. If it starts to sound "sick" you will know. Just run it and enjoy. They are super fast.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
The screeching, screaming noise that hurts your ears is the sound of a bad bearing that's gone way too far. If it starts to sound "sick" you will know. Just run it and enjoy. They are super fast.
So in other wards, I do not have to change the bearing out from the get go but I can wait and when it starts to sound bad, change them? Thanks and I just want to make sure to avoid the obvious ruining things...
Tmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Also, leave all 3 shims in the head. Some recommend taking one of the copper ones after break in. This makes the most power but it's harder on the engine and you won't be short on power
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My "racing buddy" has 3 gal on his and it has not had the failures described here. Just lucky? Dont know buy the 2050 is the best pipe for this mill, that or maybe the even more pricy Moogin pipe. Did you buy one yet? Of these 2 mills, either will do well in your truggy, someone I know on another site had a B3 in his LSP and liked it, but then he went to a Wasp .28 and the B3 went to his SP1.

A P5 is also a VERY good choice for your truggy if you want to stay .21, but for truggies I always say go BIG.....Nova 3 port .28 is $180.
psunitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #20
Tech Elite

The B3 has great power and long runtime. Im getting about 9 mins on a tank.
My front bearing is starting to leak, by the pilot shaft. Do you guys know the size? Which ceramic ones will work?(JP) I ran an 086 with a large power couple and the engine seemed good but kinda dead. I put the JP2 pipe on and had all around great power. Tons of bottom with really good top for a three port. I also did some mods to the motor and run a nova carb on it. I just lightend and fluted the crank. Then I polished it up and did some minor work on the sleeve.

I just bought a JP FX B5 stock. Wow my P5 was never this fast! Killer compression and reliability. If you want "motor" and can afford it, get the B5 and you'll wounder why you didn't get it sooner.

Thanks guys!
Westside Playas
Da Pit!
Josh Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to better

MY friend has a B3 the stock carb is crap That is where they saved money. Any carb is better, but I let him run my spare OPS carb(very good carb), it was day and night with tuning and idle. The motor has tons of power.
better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #22
Tech Master

Default bearing replacement?

With the Vspec, I am thinking about replacing the bearing on it. My thoughts are that if I replace it, it will be a long lasting motor. But considering its l25 bucks for the bearing, I am not sure if I can wait until it goes out? And if it goes out, can it affect/damge anything else?

What is lesser evil? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the bearing cost $125
Matthew.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

get the boca bearings for over less than half the price of the os that are still shit anyway.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 PM   #25
Tech Master

Default sorry the bearing is like 25 dollars...

error.

So will I need to do it before of can I do it after?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Tmachine, it all depends on how quickly you notice the bearing going out. I personally don't know they are going out until I notice the horrible screeching noise. As mentioned by someone else on this thread, that is the point of being 'too late'. I would agree. When I took my engine apart, there were metal shavings from my engine all over the inside of the crankcase. I usually have many folks around me that are engine experts that will come to me and tell me that my engine's bearings need replacing well before any damage will occur. It just so happened that when my O.S. bearing went, it went very quick. It got really bad in a hurry and that was the first time I noticed a bearing going out in an engine. I wouldn't trust an O.S. bearing at all. I would change it out now if you are willing to spend the 25$ on top of the engine price.
lastly, as others here have expressed, some of these engines are just killer out of the box. No bearing issues, and no issues wearing out the p/s prematurely. These are the people that convinced me to get a V-spec in the first place. If they work, then they are truly the best engine out there right now. I've never had a faster engine. It has super smooth throttle response and the fuel economy is second to none. It kills me to say that I have a brand new v-spec at my house that I'm not using (O.S. gave me a brand new one after my last one wore out within a gallon of use, but that is just because I know someone that works for them). I want to break it in and use it, but I'm scared that it will once again fail me prematurely. It's a 50/50 shot whether you've gotten one of the good ones, or one of the bad ones. So, when I get the time I'll get around to selling it. Oh, anyone here want a brand new in box V-spec? I'll part with it for the nice cheap price of 270$.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #27
Tech Master

Default thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterilus
Tmachine, it all depends on how quickly you notice the bearing going out. I personally don't know they are going out until I notice the horrible screeching noise. As mentioned by someone else on this thread, that is the point of being 'too late'. I would agree. When I took my engine apart, there were metal shavings from my engine all over the inside of the crankcase. I usually have many folks around me that are engine experts that will come to me and tell me that my engine's bearings need replacing well before any damage will occur. It just so happened that when my O.S. bearing went, it went very quick. It got really bad in a hurry and that was the first time I noticed a bearing going out in an engine. I wouldn't trust an O.S. bearing at all. I would change it out now if you are willing to spend the 25$ on top of the engine price.
lastly, as others here have expressed, some of these engines are just killer out of the box. No bearing issues, and no issues wearing out the p/s prematurely. These are the people that convinced me to get a V-spec in the first place. If they work, then they are truly the best engine out there right now. I've never had a faster engine. It has super smooth throttle response and the fuel economy is second to none. It kills me to say that I have a brand new v-spec at my house that I'm not using (O.S. gave me a brand new one after my last one wore out within a gallon of use, but that is just because I know someone that works for them). I want to break it in and use it, but I'm scared that it will once again fail me prematurely. It's a 50/50 shot whether you've gotten one of the good ones, or one of the bad ones. So, when I get the time I'll get around to selling it. Oh, anyone here want a brand new in box V-spec? I'll part with it for the nice cheap price of 270$.
Thnaks for the great insight. Assuming I change the bearing, will that be all that can go wrong? These post make me want to get rid of my motor...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 AM   #28
Tech Addict

If you change the bearing, you won't have to worry about anything else.... assuming your piston/sleeve doesn't wear out quickly. That is the other problem these engines seem to have on a regular basis. Who knows? yours maybe one of the good ones.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #29
Tech Master

Default thanks...

I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for great input!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #30
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Just picked up my B7 Friday after a week of torture waiting for it to come in. I ran it for a couple if tanks yesterday morning and I'm very impressed. Tune's very easily and temp's stay very low. Power is excellent even with a JP-1 pipe; No bogging, nothing. Can't wait to see what it will do with a JP-2. I did have to add a head shim so it would stop crackling coming off throttle.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote