Search

1/8th buggy opinion!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default 1/8th buggy opinion!!

Hi guys,

Well I want to get into 1/8th buggy racing. I currently have a new Tamiya 801x with a RC Monster conversion. Now, I know parts are getting hard to get for this buggy. My question is, should I try to sell it now that it is new and buy something else? Maybe an Ofna LX2E roller to start. I see that there is plenty of available parts for the Ofna.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Hi,

what is your budget?

where do you drive?

what is your driving style?

what are the brands developped in your area?

with these questions answered it will be easier for us to guide you
Old 10-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

what is your budget? It depends how much I sell the 801X for. Im guessing about $175 for the roller. I already have the electronics and batteries.

where do you drive? Local clay track.

what is your driving style? I am pretty new at racing. I just go to the track to practice and have some fun. Have not raced yet.

what are the brands developped in your area? Most people I saw where driving Team Associated, Losi, Durango. The usual brands
Old 10-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

based on your budget and the fact that you are a beginner in racing the LX2E could be a very good choice.. you might want something more dedicated in the future but it's a strong car

did you considered buying used? for a 200$ budget there are great deals in the for sale section and you could end up with a 400 to 500$ worth buggy which will be better in the long run

I'm thinking about a Mugen MBX6 Eco for example: super durable, cheap (the x7 eco is out), super easy to drive, very competitive too.. for the price it can be found now it will be hard to beat, and the wear is excellent
Old 10-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pulse_
based on your budget and the fact that you are a beginner in racing the LX2E could be a very good choice.. you might want something more dedicated in the future but it's a strong car

did you considered buying used? for a 200$ budget there are great deals in the for sale section and you could end up with a 400 to 500$ worth of a buggy which will be better in the long run

I'm thinking about a Mugen MBX6 Eco for example: super durable, cheap (the x7 eco is out), super easy to drive, very competitive too.. for the price it can be found now it will be hard to beat, and the wear is excellent
Thanks man. Or should I just keep my tamiya 801x?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by lnc0321
Thanks man. Or should I just keep my tamiya 801x?
it depends on your local parts support and if you are ok with running a relatively rare platform.. but new isn't always better, that's for sure

if you feel confortable with your car and don't know exactly what you are looking for in a buggy I'd practice more and choose later based on your specific needs

on forums it's all about the "best and newest chassis" but all that really matters as a new driver is having a reliable car that makes you want to drive as often as possible

many people advice to choose well known cars to get help or parts if needed but sometimes you'll learn more with a rarer car because you'll have to experiment more and learn by yourself.. so it all depends on how you see it
Old 10-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

For the money, LX2E is a good buggy, but the front shock tower is made of play dough.

Not sure if there is a aftermarket part, but my friend basically doubled up on the front shock tower (butted two of them together), which made it much stronger.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys. I am just going to stay with my Tamiya and go from there.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

So I am keeping my Tamiya 801XE and bought another kit from Tamiya USA for $129 shipped for spare parts. So I should be ok for a bit. Again thank you for all your help. And here is a pic of my Tamiya