Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Was it reasonable for me to be upset? (track cutting) >

Was it reasonable for me to be upset? (track cutting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was it reasonable for me to be upset? (track cutting)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm surprised by the answers given as well. If its a club race, things are usually more laid back and everyone knows each other. I know the race youre posting about, OP. It was a bigger race and everyone should be on their best sportsmanship behavior.

The correct way would have been the driver re-enter the track where he left it. Even if the marshall had not seen him for a bit, tough luck. Drive back to where you left the race line, if needed, and wait to be placed back onto the proper side of the track. If this was to make things worse and goof up someone elses race, then waiting on where you landed would be fine....you would wait for the car you were trailing to pass, then add a few secs in there. If it was a trail of cars, you'd wait and let them by.

Instances like these show a persons character. What kind of person are you? (rhetorical)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

We've all had crashes that after the fliping was done, we are right side up and able to continue, resulting in very little time lost. This is a similar situation just happen to jump a turn. So as long as the person waits the appropriate time, no harm no foul.

I do agree that if you crash there should be some type of time loss, but some crashes are not always the case.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rasheed
If the crasher is right in front of another driver, and then waits for that driver and goes right in front of him again, then he gets no penalty for crashing and will do the same lap time as he would have without crashing. That seemed very unfair to me.

I am surprised to see pretty much all the posts feel this is OK. Maybe I was wrong to get upset about it.
You are 100% correct, Rasheed. You are supposed to resume racing from the same side of the pipe you crashed on, for the very reason you are describing.

In a club race... you just wait and go when you can even out your lap time. No big deal... it sa club race. BUT....at the LUNSFORD race? No, you need to get marshaled and put back on the same side of the pipe you crashed on. Just my opinion.

But having said that, It is up to the race director to dictate if that is going to be enforced, and how to do it before the race starts. If he doesn't, people will just operate like a normal club race. Race director and track cutter both to blame.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

I believe the driver should be placed back on the side of pipe he/she crashed from. Let me explain why, from personal experience.

Let's say you have 3 cars. Car 2 is 10 yards behind car 1, but car 3 is only inches behind car 2. Car 2 jumps the pipe and waits for car 1 to go by before proceeding. Now car 2 is inches behind car 1, but way ahead of car 3.

This is not right. You make a mistake, you pay the price. You can have a perfect race where you don't make a single mistake, and it is issues like this which bump you from your earned spot.

At the end of the day, it is about having fun. But if you want to make things fair, there should be a simple rule in this case.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Back in the day you had to wait for a marshal but with everything else people have become lazy so nobody wants to run after a car that is on its wheels.

Crashing over a pipe and waiting is the biggest scam in R/C racing. Slotting into where you were before the crash means you lose no time. How fair is that?

If anything, the driver should be forced to wait long enough so that he loses the time he would have lot had the marshal put him back over the pipe.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Slotting into where you were before the crash means you lose no time. How fair is that?
The single best argument in this entire thread.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
You can have all sorts of crashes, they don't all result in a (noticeable) loss of time or position, it is just luck that means you ended up on the wrong side of the barrier.
agreed. however, you choose to look at it as good luck. i choose to look at it as bad luck, as in you should either have to go back onto the proper side of the track, or wait a substantial period of time, giving up more than one position.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Man Dustin Evans is a Cheat!

JK ! I only say that cause he was at this race and Won. Dustin Evans is a stand up racer.

I agree with Rick. At least if you wait you wait till the traffic you were in passes you and resumes pre pipe jumping. A good RD might also notice too if he starts dramatic lap times from a particular racer.

Momo
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

If you are jumping a small section, stop and go. A good RD will call the stop and go. If your cutting half the track, you need to go back to the correct side. This actually happened to me about 4 times last weekend. A triple with a 180 on the landing. Needless to say, I landed on the lane next to the triple. I moved car car out of the line and waited. No other cars were near me a couple times, so i had to guess how long to wait. The RD saw me 3/4 times and told me when to go. The last time, I just waited what I thought was a good amount of time. For a turn marshal to put me back into the triple would have caused more issues and puts the marshal at risk. Also, I see guys jumping the pipe to get back onto the correct side. Mostly when they jump half the track. With their large tires, they can hop over a pipe no problem. But they sometimes over throttle and jump into traffic. Causing more crashes. So IMO, it depends. If the RD is good at calling the stop and go, then I dont see the issue. How long they should wait is subjective when there is no traffic to judge you. I think the RD had me wait about 2-3 seconds. Which is probably longer than what it takes a marshal to normally flip a car. Even on laps where I crash once, I never loose 3 seconds. Unless I crash where there is no marshal.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

I agree with everyone else. If it's just a club race then wait the estimated time and get back to racing but during a trophy race that's rather large then he should have entered the track where he exited.

I'm sure the guy that crashed is reading this thread Maybe he can explain
Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Reason to get upset at a bigger race i would let the race director know . Club racing i see it a lot even faster guys I've seen do more than once but it's just for fun so it's let go . Off-road i do see track cutting a lot could be duded to a rough track or just to low of traction and the driver to hard on the throttle .

Sometimes though I've done it before more than once when a turnmarshall is to slow or not paying attention i go over the pipe but without cutting somebody else off though or causing a crash .
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by skeasor
I agree with everyone else. If it's just a club race then wait the estimated time and get back to racing but during a trophy race that's rather large then he should have entered the track where he exited.

I'm sure the guy that crashed is reading this thread Maybe he can explain
the issue is....if your car is on its wheels, then 1 of 2 things happens. The marshal ignores you, because he figures you can drive away. OR He thinks your broken, picks you up and drops your between the pipes. lol. Sometimes, they dont every know what part of the track you should be on. because they were helping another car when you crashed.

Did you see the Nitro worlds? Ty landed between the pipes in the main. He was driving over the pipe and back onto the track. He didnt sit there and wait for a marshal. My issue with that stuff at club levels, with 8th scales, is injuring someone.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

There is no instant replay. There aren't enough resources - multiple RDs - to monitor the track. There are 'rules' which can't be enforced.

Here is a suggestion, albeit unrealistic for various reasons.

Get rid of marshals. You flip on your lid or go over/between pipes, you are out. Have 2 or 3 RDs monitor problematic spots on the track to make calls on all other issues, and remove vehicles blocking the track.

Would make for interesting racing. It would slow things down for sure. Bad drivers would not like this one.

Not enough folks have appreciation for good driving. All who want to race should run 17.5 for a while to see what it takes. Then again, even that class isn't without DBs.

Like I said, unrealistic...
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by rcus3r
There is no instant replay. There aren't enough resources - multiple RDs - to monitor the track. There are 'rules' which can't be enforced.

Here is a suggestion, albeit unrealistic for various reasons.

Get rid of marshals. You flip on your lid or go over/between pipes, you are out. Have 2 or 3 RDs monitor problematic spots on the track to make calls on all other issues, and remove vehicles blocking the track.

Would make for interesting racing. It would slow things down for sure. Bad drivers would not like this one.

Not enough folks have appreciation for good driving. All who want to race should run 17.5 for a while to see what it takes. Then again, even that class isn't without DBs.

Like I said, unrealistic...
That is basically a Dash for Cash race, lol.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
If you are jumping a small section, stop and go. A good RD will call the stop and go. If your cutting half the track, you need to go back to the correct side. This actually happened to me about 4 times last weekend. A triple with a 180 on the landing. Needless to say, I landed on the lane next to the triple. I moved car car out of the line and waited. No other cars were near me a couple times, so i had to guess how long to wait. The RD saw me 3/4 times and told me when to go. The last time, I just waited what I thought was a good amount of time. For a turn marshal to put me back into the triple would have caused more issues and puts the marshal at risk. Also, I see guys jumping the pipe to get back onto the correct side. Mostly when they jump half the track. With their large tires, they can hop over a pipe no problem. But they sometimes over throttle and jump into traffic. Causing more crashes. So IMO, it depends. If the RD is good at calling the stop and go, then I dont see the issue. How long they should wait is subjective when there is no traffic to judge you. I think the RD had me wait about 2-3 seconds. Which is probably longer than what it takes a marshal to normally flip a car. Even on laps where I crash once, I never loose 3 seconds. Unless I crash where there is no marshal.
that's totally track and program dependent. if it's a small indoor track and there is a good turnout (8-10 racers per heat)? yeah, chances are you'll get marshaled right away and it won't cost you that much (assuming nobody else has crashed nearby and the marshal is busy, or maybe he isn't paying attention, etc). but if it's a medium/large outdoor track and turnout isn't great for the program (4-6 racers per class), then a crash can certainly cost you 3 seconds or more. that's probably not the case here as it was a big race. i do agree that the RD should be the one to make the call ideally, but we all know that doesn't always happen.

i also don't go for this "oh it's just a club race" BS. what's right is right. if it's the right thing to do in a big race, it's the right thing to do in a club race. for 90% of us weekend warriors, the club race is our big race and i don't want to lose because someone cheated. intentional or otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.