Community
Wiki Posts
Search

xxx-nt tuning HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default xxx-nt tuning HELP!!!

i was wondering if anyone knows if there are different size spur gears out there somewhere and if anyone uses carb restrictors on the OS18 cvr. any help getting some traction on this beast would be great.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

One way to get rear traction on a XXX-NT would be to slightly stiffen the front springs, to transfer weight to the rear. Another way to improve the rear traction is to slightly raise the rear ride height so that the dogbones are at a bit of an angle. This will create more bind and give you more forward bite. There are aftermarket spurs avalible for the XXX-NT. You can also get some different clutchbells too. Robinson Racing and Kinbrough are some good names that come to mind when looking into spurs. I believe Robinson Racing has a hardened steel spur that should practicly outlast your truck!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hey thats a big engine for that truck first off make sure your tires are suited for your surface losi reds work well. in the rear use 35 wt with pink springs. up front try oarnge springs with 30wt. like a drake dirt set up. also with that big engine you want your slipper to slip before your diff hold the right rear tire and put your thumb on the sprur gear to hold them now turn the left rear tire and you should see the top shaft spin if the tire turns and the top shaft dosnt spin then your diff is spinning inside or looser than your spur. you will blow a diff out everytime with that engine. you can also set full throttle to half way with your endpoint adjustments or run a looser slipper. or just blip the throttle. throttle control basically the engine is overkill thats good for a tmaxx. good luck later. oh i know of no one that make different spurs so go for a bigger tooth clutch bell that will give you less low end. but try a loose slipper first loosen it right up and tighten in a little at a time. later.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the input guys. the chassis tips are close to what i have been running, and yeah it is alot of engine for the truck, but on softer wet tracks it ROCKS, as for Robinson&Kimbrough seem to have manly Associated spurs and i don't think they will work on the Losi
Old 08-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

One thing I am pretty sure Robinson offers, that is DEFINATLY worth checking out is the hardened steel diff gear. I burned out 4 diffs in my XXX-NT, before locking the diff with a 2-part epoxy. Now mine spins out too, which is inconvinient because it cost me an A-Arm while racing agains a 1/8 scale buggy. My local dirt track usually runs anything, so I spun off a banked corner, and was met up by an Inferno doing about 35 MPH. That one hurt.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah just got the Robinson diff gear, going to put in tomorrow. this after about 6 diff blow outs this season. i can usually just finish a 10-15 min main.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

It's nice to know I'm not the only one! Your running a bigger engine too, so you definatly need it. Tell me how it works, I might think about one for my truck when everything else is settled down.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just ran my new xxxnt at our local track and that engine is a monster!!! It leaves 1/8 buggies and monsters in the dust in the straights! Its a bit overwhelming for a truck that size. I suggest making the car good for low end torque coz the high end power of that truck is crazy. Lower the EPA of the throttle
Old 09-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default update xxx-nt

just thought i'd update. i have installed the robinson diff, found an old traxxas pipe off a rustler to tame the torque and this thing rocks. the diff is holding up awsome and you can actually see some diff action in hard tight coners. once it hooks up on a straight it flies but sure gets light in the front. thanx for all the suggestions