R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default What is Best Stock Electric Motor

I am new to electric off road.. I was in Nitro off road.. I am starting new to electric. I was wondering what is the best stock motor on the market today. I am looking at the Trinity P2k2 and the Monster Stock Pro..I am running a buggy (BK2)....Please help..

Thanx
Jason
JD4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
Tech Elite

For 2wd buggy, you can't really beat the Monster.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

Not to be contrary, but the P2K2 is by far the better off road motor, at least for bashing purposes. It has more torque at the expense of speed. The Monster is best suited to short track racing, while the Green Machine on the other hand is best suited to large oval and large fast tracks.

The P2K2 Pro is a great off-road motor. The Integy V10 Twin Turbo is a very suprising choice too. We were suprised to see how fast it was. It could have better torque, but it's speed is insane, better suited to on-road application.

To give you an idea of the torque of the P2K2, people at my on-road track run them in Stampede's with foam tires and 34/84 gearing. They go faster than Hell, and my Monster which is geared at 32/84 has a tougher time accelerating out of corners. I often have to battle them to stay ahead out of turns, and put my buddy into the woods last time because he tried to go wide on me.

I run a P2K2 in my T2 beater, because it has great punch, and enough power to accelerate pretty good.

The Monster is best suited to TC and Oval cars, but it does do good in heavier cars if the track is long enough to keep speed up. Otherwise, you'll find yourself losing battles of acceleration, and you may lose your only chance at the precious "Hole shot" if you don't get out there quick.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

There's no reason to run a P2K2 in buggy. The Monster motor has way more than enough torque to get the smaller tires of a buggy turning. I'd run a Monster in my BK2 (or any 2wd buggy) on the smallest race track you put me on.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
Tech Master

Yes, but would you put it in a truck? Like a XXX-T? The Monster is a great motor, and I have about 7 or 8 laying in pieces around here, but for off-road I generally try to run the slower motor with higher gearing.

There is no reason to not run a P2K2, just as there is no reason not run a Monster. It is just an matter of personal opinion. I prefer torque as opposed to speed when running off-road cars. At least we both agree on Trinity motors! That's one thing that we can agree on, especially when there are SO many HUGE manufacturers of stock motors everywhere!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Buggy = Monster
Truck = P2K, P2K2

These are what will get you up to speed.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Platinum - It's not that there's a huge number of stock motor manufacturers...most of them come from the same place :-)

Might as well buy the motors from the source!

I got a couple really good P2K2's from Trinity for the year that I ran nothing but stock at electric races, but even then I was running Monsters in stock truck. I think they're a lot more forgiving when it comes to less-than-stellar batteries and they're more forgiving when it comes to gearing.

And they produce tons of power!
Old 09-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #8
Tech Master

I know there isn't many major producers of motors, that was the joke.

It also depends on his application, which we know nothing about. I'm just saying, I would run a P2K2, you might run a Monster. I would rather have torque and efficiency over RPM when running off road. The only things that run at my truck in Pro=Stock are Monster's and P2K2's. I'm just saying, the P2K2's react better to gearing than the Monster's. They are faster off the corners, plain and simple. Most run foams, but me and a select few run rubbers, but even the P2K2 motors with rubbers are quicker off the corners.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

On a small off-road track with several tight turns I would go with a P2K2, something a little more open like maybe 2 straights then I would go with a Monster. Monster will give your buggy better top end speed, the P2K2 will give you better acceleration.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #10
Tech Adept

You'll be fine with either one, but I would go with a Monster in a buggy like the BK2.

Just to give you an idea, I ran a Monster in stock truck on a VERY small indoor off-road track....and I HAD MOTOR! I was geared 16/87 in my T4. IMO, when both motors are geared properly, your lap times will be very similar with either one.
BobbyDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

i run monsters in everyting i have.i have a dyno, and the put out the best# of anything. i know we dont race dynos but the monster is your best bet. i race once a week 2 classes both are in stock the only thing that has beat me was a monster.
KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #12
Tech Master

I get beat only by P2K2's. I have a pretty fast Monster, but I was just saying, I've seen P2K2's do better. I can't put 34/84 on my motor or it will burn up, but the P2K2's run well, although in my class we consider well to be hotter than the 7th layer of Hell, but it's what we race so I can't argue.

We probably wouldn't run such high gearing, but one day someone showed up with the intention to win at any cost, and since that day we have all followed suit. To this day we sacrifice longevity for performance.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:18 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff

I agree with both strenghts of the Monster and P2K2. Ultimately it is up to the driver and we all know corner speed and lines give you those extra tenths that put you on the next level. You can be a dog on the straight but still make it up in the infield and vice versa.

I also like the Core stocks and can't wait for the release of a limited edition Core Stock with a V2 endbell. Should be interesting...
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Smile Application

Being new to what you are doing, the best bet may be the P2K. The reason is, in my opinion, if you are out of line you will still have enough punch to clear the obsticles.
In your buggy it will not be as fast as an equally tuned Monster but it will have more punch.
As your expirience level increases you will be able to hold your line better and learn to carry speed. At first you will gear it up. You will then lean towards different motors for the application.

I run Monsters in my buggy and they are extremly good motors. I'll run them against anything in stock racing.

TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1
Being new to what you are doing, the best bet may be the P2K. The reason is, in my opinion, if you are out of line you will still have enough punch to clear the obsticles.
In your buggy it will not be as fast as an equally tuned Monster but it will have more punch.
As your expirience level increases you will be able to hold your line better and learn to carry speed. At first you will gear it up. You will then lean towards different motors for the application.

I run Monsters in my buggy and they are extremly good motors. I'll run them against anything in stock racing.

TEX
this is by far the most logical response.....
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote