Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mod Motors questions >

Mod Motors questions

Mod Motors questions

Old 10-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mod Motors questions

I'm a guy who's been racing On-Road and Stock motors for years, (even before brushless came around, i was racing the 27t motors!). There is an Off-Road track that will have its inaugural race next week, and i'm planning on racing there sometimes, but there is not stock class, so Mod buggy class it is.

Can someone explain the differences in the 7.5 vs 8.5 vs 10.5 turn motors? I know it's the windings and RPMs, but how do i determine which is the better type of motor for the track? Wouldn't i be better off adjusting the gear ratios with the spur and pinion? or is it a question of motor with more RPM vs one with more tourque?

Disregard the type of surface, and class, how do guys determine what to use usually?

I'm looking at getting a B5M as that's what everyone suggests because "There is so much traction available" (not sure how they came up with that yet), the track will be compact clay from what i can tell, if that helps.

Here is what the track looks like
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=529906660474937
Old 10-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm a budget racer so I have one motor for mod it's a 7.5, sometimes it's too much for my track so it's a lot of throttle control. Most guys will tell you only use the most motor the track can handle. For example my home track is pretty tight and on the medium/ small side. Mod motors don't have a huge advantage. Stock buggy and mod buggy might only be seperated by a second or two so a 17.5 that is running timing in the ESC could be very competitive in the mod class. On the flip side a large track that has a long straight and lots of track between obstacles a 7.5 would smash on a 17.5. Good example of a large track needing lots of motor is the worlds track in Chico, that track was huge so a number of guys were using 6.5's in 2wd. Your track may only need a 13.5 with some ESC timing.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyD View Post
I'm a budget racer so I have one motor for mod it's a 7.5, sometimes it's too much for my track so it's a lot of throttle control. Most guys will tell you only use the most motor the track can handle. For example my home track is pretty tight and on the medium/ small side. Mod motors don't have a huge advantage. Stock buggy and mod buggy might only be seperated by a second or two so a 17.5 that is running timing in the ESC could be very competitive in the mod class. On the flip side a large track that has a long straight and lots of track between obstacles a 7.5 would smash on a 17.5. Good example of a large track needing lots of motor is the worlds track in Chico, that track was huge so a number of guys were using 6.5's in 2wd. Your track may only need a 13.5 with some ESC timing.
+1 As far as gearing, it really doesn't matter if you change it with the pinion or the spur, it's just usually easier to change the pinion. Now if you're taking a big swing at it, and have to change it a lot you may have to change both. After looking at the track, if it was me I'd throw a 13.5 in it, run a heat, and adjust the timing from there.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How did you guys come to the conclusion that a 13.5 motor is ok for the track? That's what i would like to know...
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Motor Choice

Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
I'm a guy who's been racing On-Road and Stock motors for years, (even before brushless came around, i was racing the 27t motors!). There is an Off-Road track that will have its inaugural race next week, and i'm planning on racing there sometimes, but there is not stock class, so Mod buggy class it is.

Can someone explain the differences in the 7.5 vs 8.5 vs 10.5 turn motors? I know it's the windings and RPMs, but how do i determine which is the better type of motor for the track? Wouldn't i be better off adjusting the gear ratios with the spur and pinion? or is it a question of motor with more RPM vs one with more tourque?

Disregard the type of surface, and class, how do guys determine what to use usually?

I'm looking at getting a B5M as that's what everyone suggests because "There is so much traction available" (not sure how they came up with that yet), the track will be compact clay from what i can tell, if that helps.

Here is what the track looks like
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=529906660474937
The standard turn most have ran in mod buggy has been the 8.5 turn motor. It seems to had been the standard for a while. It provides the best balance of power and smoothness of power band for a 2wd buggy on most tracks.

If you were going to a small to medium size track or running on a slick track, I change to a 10.5 turn motor as the power band is a little more mild but with a little extra timing on the motor it will be more than enough power for smaller to medium size tracks and/or slick tracks.

If you have a larger and super high traction track you can get away with running a little more power for larger jumps and high speed sections. This is where I may run a 8.0 or 7.5 turn motor.

I would say go with an 8.5 turn motor, should be good for the track shown and most locations.

Good Luck