Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck >

Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck

Like Tree1Likes

Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck

Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Nice job on the front skid TMan! looks like that will work just fine. I've had mine for over a year now and have not had one problem with my front bumper yet (knock on wood) but i only race mine at the local indoor clay track and at home on my outdoor track only.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TMann
Here is a prototype part for the front skid mount. I was going to make that swivel mount part out of aluminum, but the washer mod has been holding up pretty well. So I am just going to make up some re-enforcement plates. It's a lot less work to make a plate than that part! This one is 2.25mm thick or .88" It is a little thin for the Flat head 3mm screws, the head is 2mm deep. So I may try and find some 2.5 thick .1" 6061 aluminum.

Sweet plate.. the part u have the top of the skid plate screwed into is what I have broke and can not get from tower.. anyone have suggestions? I tried to post pic but won't upload
Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by amospetrie
Sweet plate.. the part u have the top of the skid plate screwed into is what I have broke and can not get from tower.. anyone have suggestions? I tried to post pic but won't upload
I think you are talking about the little skid mount that swivels. Its part of the front bumper set. Tower still has some in stock, $8.99.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Tech Initiate

I've got a big problem, today I was driving my cutback and I gunned it full throttle, then tried to brake, and it didn't brake. It ended up going full throttle off the track into the woods about 150 feet away. Some cactus stopped it. The whole Time was trying to stop it, I even turned off the transmitter and it wouldn't stop. I ran up to it and it the motor and wheels were still going full throttle. LOL. I know I have a short in the off and on switch if I do a big jump it will turn the truck off. I did reset the neutral fail safe a few days ago on the receiver. I didn't want to risk it going crazy again so I packed up and left. Think it might be the ESC?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Think it might be the ESC?
Probably yes. Is it still the stock one? Hate to say I told you so but I strongly suggested a while back that you get a new ESC. Mine did all sorts of strange things (that I posted bout) before it went up in flames and luckily didn't burn down the whole truck. Your loss of power may not be the switch. Mine shut off a few times and would work again after a power cycle.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Tech Initiate

t's weird, but I don't remember the steering working at all either when it when it was going. I don't trust the RX and TX either. Its on its second transmitter according to the guy I bought the cutback from.

I bench tested it tonight and couldn't create the problem again.

Looking at CC SV2 SCT esc, same as the sidewinder 3, just has a fan $53. Also looking at the HK 100A esc $40, and the HW EzRun MAX10 SCT $65.

Also looking at the TTX300 Tactic TX/RX combo, Futaba 3PRKA combo and the Spectrum DX2E combo.

Last edited by TMann; 01-29-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

t's weird, but I don't remember the steering working at all either when it when it was going. I don't trust the RX and TX either. Its on its second transmitter according to the guy I bought the cutback from.

I bench tested it tonight and couldn't create the problem again.

Looking at CC SV2 SCT esc, same as the sidewinder 3, just has a fan $53. Also looking at the HK 100A esc $40, and the HW EzRun MAX10 SCT $65.

Also looking at the TTX300 Tactic TX/RX combo, Futaba 3PRKA combo and the Spectrum DX2E combo.
well maybe the RX/TX was causing problems. I had already switched to a Spektrum DX4S which came with two RX's; one with AVC and one without. The ESC did the same things with the Spektrum RX/TX. So at least in my case, the RX/TX seemed OK.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

I mean get a real RX/TX if you want but you may want to just put a new ESC in first and see how it goes.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

I think you are talking about the little skid mount that swivels. Its part of the front bumper set. Tower still has some in stock, $8.99.
I ordered a front bumber a couple months ago.. that part wasn't In there.. guess I should call tower..by any chance do you know what the part is called on the chassis that the little swivel skid plate screws into.. screws are broke off in it. Thanks
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by amospetrie
I ordered a front bumber a couple months ago.. that part wasn't In there.. guess I should call tower..by any chance do you know what the part is called on the chassis that the little swivel skid plate screws into.. screws are broke off in it. Thanks
Weird I have ordered it and it was in there. They jipped you!

Also, google part# MV29116
Old 01-31-2017, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Weird I have ordered it and it was in there. They jipped you!

Also, google part# MV29116
I'll just reorder it and hopefully I comes in the package this time.. thanks tmann
Old 01-31-2017, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Default Hpi timberwolf

So we all know the Cutback is really a hpi timberwolf.. being worried the timberwolf would be discontinued (to order parts from the uk) since the Cutback was.. I emailed uk hpi.. here's what they said

The HPI Timberwolf is still available and a current line. There is no plans to discontinue it.

Unfortunately you can not buy direct from ourselves, so if you contact someone like ModelsportUK or Wheelspin Models then they will be able to help you, and they ship worldwide.

So looks like we will be able to get parts.. just more in shipping.. for instance from modelsportuk a front bumber is 8 bucks shipping.. so not to bad
Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah not bad, there's a few sellers on ebay too with Timberwolf parts.

I'm seriously considering a Hobao hyper 10SCe for a second truck.

I've been trying to re-create the problem I had, but all attempts have failed. There is some kind of issue with the RX or ESC, or both. Probably going to have to shell out for new electronics...
Old 01-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah not bad, there's a few sellers on ebay too with Timberwolf parts.

I'm seriously considering a Hobao hyper 10SCe for a second truck.

I've been trying to re-create the problem I had, but all attempts have failed. There is some kind of issue with the RX or ESC, or both. Probably going to have to shell out for new electronics...
I bet it's the esc. I took out the tower esc and put it in my prosc 4x4. using the associated rx/TX. It only did it once but it took off once by itself wouldn't stop till it hit something and flipped over.. also while hitting jumps it will just stop. Have to turn off and back on to get it running again witch sounds like the same issue u have..
Old 01-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Tech Initiate

I turned off the TX towards the end, and it was still going full throttle, which leads me to believe its not the transmitter. Im pretty sure the servo was not working either, so that tells me the RX was not giving it signal.

I was going on a strait away full throttle, coming up to a turn... I braked and turned, but it kept going strait and full throttle. So both the servo and esc were not working correctly.

Maybe the ESC was not giving the servo power?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.