Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why i'm quitting RC >

Why i'm quitting RC

Why i'm quitting RC

Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
the big rc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: portland
Posts: 2,170
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Why i'm quitting RC

If this gets banned so be it. It's gone viral in a few hours, and it sounds like this is a lot of places around this country.

Maybe it will get people to wake up, and get their acts cleaned up.


http://www.thebigrc.com/why-im-quitting-rc/

This is my last post on The Big RC, it's been an amazing 5 years.
the big rc is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 PM
  #2  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,999
Default

Clean up the acts of what ?
tc5 man is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
TahoeDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 168
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

A little melodramatic don't you think?
TahoeDust is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 07:37 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
gticlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,105
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Oh please. You never quit - you just take a break.
gticlay is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:10 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (17)
 
the incubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,041
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

As a parent I can understand some of your points and I too have had to check some drivers on the stand because they're ringers running stock buggy and my 10-year old son who is learning, made a mistake that cost them some time and they THINK it's ok to discipline him.

Sorry, Homie don't play dat!!!

They have in the past given me a hard time for coaching in his ear using a whispering tone because it's sooooo distracting, only for them to start trash talking with fellow racers, marshals and friends around the drivers stand just seconds later.

Those are people I refer to as a-holes and if I were a track official I'd issue them 2 warnings and the third you are banned for a month, second offense 6 months, third offense lifetime ban from the track.

Kids are the bloodline to this and every other sport and they need support and encouragement, not egotistical socially inept dorks who have no lives outside of the activity. You can immediately tell which guys have children and families by how they treat and interact with the kids. We always make it a point to let the kids know we're happy they are having so much fun and enjoying the friendly competition. On the rare occasion my wife goes our 5-year old twins come along and we set up a play area for them and EVERYONE'S kids come to our area and the parents all come over and we chat and have a great time. This hobby is a great tool for building up a vast array of skills that prove quite useful for the rest of our children's lives.

Before coming back to RC we raced Karts for a couple of years and the atmosphere there is all about encouragement and track officials make it a point to watch and listen in order to ensure newer novice racers and kids are not being overwhelmed on track and they will immediately red flag a session to warn the experienced drivers they need to take it down a notch. If they need to call anyone's attention after that, they'll pull everyone off track and allow the novices to have the track to themselves.

This is something that needs to happen in RC, for the sake of the kids and the sporting side of the hobby whenever people get out of line. I live in Miami, FL and I can say with all certainty that people know better than to light up their herbalife smokes at any tracks down here and especially around me. LOL

All in all, at least here, the vast majority of racers are great people and we all help one another whenever and however possible and together with our wonderful track officials, we create a fantastic atmosphere for everyone involved. It's sad that things got to the point you felt you had to walk away from the hobby again, but hopefully things change and you and your son find your way back.
the incubus is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (43)
 
seth556's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,233
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

I think all of this applies to my "local" track. There's another track a bit over an hour away and $16 in tolls that's the total opposite, I wish I lived a little closer so I could frequent there more often.

I think the "you just take a break" thing just means wait until a different place opens up and hope to relive the good old days.

I think as far as kids getting discouraged it's because it's no fun. Why would any kid want to go race with a bunch of old guys that are going to yell at them? I've seen kids race awesome, clean, etc and see grown men get all pissy and upset at them. I don't see why this hobby is used for men to show off their masculinity.
seth556 is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Default

Originally Posted by the big rc View Post
If this gets banned so be it. It's gone viral in a few hours, and it sounds like this is a lot of places around this country.

Maybe it will get people to wake up, and get their acts cleaned up.


http://www.thebigrc.com/why-im-quitting-rc/

This is my last post on The Big RC, it's been an amazing 5 years.
Why not just enjoy the hobby with your son, without going to a track? Just some bashing, crawling ect, instead of quitting all together?

Many of your points are valid though, the rc racing crowd, can often take them selves way too seriously. I track real cars and the people at these events, probably like the karting the poster below mentioned, create such a better enviroment, than the rc tracks I've been to. Strangely so much less pretentiousness and much less BS compared to the often punk dbags I've experienced at rc tracks. There's a sence of comraderie, that seems to have disappeared in much of the rc hobby, sadly.
steeledge is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  #8  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,999
Default

There's always going to be some D bags at the local tracks and some people in general real world you just ignore them . Most guys don't take it seriously and are cool and pretty helpfull in offroad that is .

Never made me quit racing or R/C in general . But kids need to learn that not everybody is nice .
tc5 man is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (73)
 
skater-deez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg,Pa
Posts: 1,875
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Exclamation

Between the cursing at marshals and the "herbal medicines" I think maybe I wouldn't want my son there either. I think the point missing in the interpretation here is the youth aspect. It's great that us old guys can get out there and still get it done but we need the new blood to keep things going. If kids are pushed away and want to do something else then we all will suffer. Maybe next time we all think before getting mad at a young racer for "getting in our way". I think the majority of guys in rc are great guys but as high as 15-20 percent are complete a-holes. Just my 1 and a half cents.....feel free to spend it however you wish.
skater-deez1 is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (62)
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,396
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Thoughts

Let me summarize your diatribe:
1) You know how to run a track better than the local owners
2) you talk trash even though you are at the back of the pack
3) you are shocked that people are competitive and that everyone doesn't get a trophy for trying
4) your son doesn't want to race, so you don't either, which is fine
5) you think spending time racing without your son is a waste of time and you want to convince all of the unwashed masses to do as you do
6) since you don't want to race anymore, you must do your best to convince others to quit also, since you know what's better

Did you try to make the local track better? Did you talk to the owner about the drug use and profanity? What did you do to make it better other than walking away?

By the way, I have waited many times in races if I have a sizable lead. I don't do it to embarrass anyone, and if the person tells me not to do that after the race, I apologize, and I don't do it again while racing with them. Simple solution.
billjacobs is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 PM
  #11  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,999
Default

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
Between the cursing at marshals and the "herbal medicines" I think maybe I wouldn't want my son there either. I think the point missing in the interpretation here is the youth aspect. It's great that us old guys can get out there and still get it done but we need the new blood to keep things going. If kids are pushed away and want to do something else then we all will suffer. Maybe next time we all think before getting mad at a young racer for "getting in our way". I think the majority of guys in rc are great guys but as high as 15-20 percent are complete a-holes. Just my 1 and a half cents.....feel free to spend it however you wish.



Yea I do agree that cursing at any Marshall doesnt do anything but make the person look like a fool . Most of time the racer wrecked his self anyway .

They yell at me I just keep on doing my marshalling and ignore it . Learned a long time ago cursing or yelling at Marshall is asking for a agruement . So I go have fun and relax and race .

So there is Marshall's that suck oh we'll move on ;
tc5 man is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:36 PM
  #12  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (315)
 
nexxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,836
Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)
Default

I can see some valid points there, and agree with a lot of them, what concerns me is people who will use your article as an excuse to launch disparaging remarks in your direction in this thread. This is your opinion, and we should respect that, others may or disagree.

Well worded and informative, thank you for taking the time.
nexxus is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 PM
  #13  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (315)
 
nexxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,836
Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Let me summarize your diatribe:
1) You know how to run a track better than the local owners
2) you talk trash even though you are at the back of the pack
3) you are shocked that people are competitive and that everyone doesn't get a trophy for trying
4) your son doesn't want to race, so you don't either, which is fine
5) you think spending time racing without your son is a waste of time and you want to convince all of the unwashed masses to do as you do
6) since you don't want to race anymore, you must do your best to convince others to quit also, since you know what's better

Did you try to make the local track better? Did you talk to the owner about the drug use and profanity? What did you do to make it better other than walking away?

By the way, I have waited many times in races if I have a sizable lead. I don't do it to embarrass anyone, and if the person tells me not to do that after the race, I don't do it again while racing with them. Simple solution.
It's attitudes like this that concern me.
nexxus is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 PM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (73)
 
skater-deez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg,Pa
Posts: 1,875
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Yea I do agree that cursing at any Marshall doesnt do anything but make the person look like a fool . Most of time the racer wrecked his self anyway .

They yell at me I just keep on doing my marshalling and ignore it . Learned a long time ago cursing or yelling at Marshall is asking for a agruement . So I go have fun and relax and race .

So there is Marshall's that suck oh we'll move on ;
100% Correct! If you didn't wreck you wouldn't need the marshal. I can see it if it's at the national level or a big money race but pay attention at club races to the idiots screaming like idiots.....these are rc races gentleman not life or death.
skater-deez1 is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM
  #15  
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,999
Default

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
100% Correct! If you didn't wreck you wouldn't need the marshal. I can see it if it's at the national level or a big money race but pay attention at club races to the idiots screaming like idiots.....these are rc races gentleman not life or death.


Most of time is cause of wrecking or big ruts doing it lol . Yea people will evently learn the yelling part at the Marshall's at club races is pointless .
tc5 man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.