Wiki Posts
Search

Stock Class reboot

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Stock Class reboot

I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for this, but I feel that 17.5 class is just too fast anymore for a step up from novice class if they are a true novice.

I feel that 21.5 or maybe even 25.5 (like VTA uses) should be the new Stock class, and 17.5 should be it's own class (Just called 17.5) like 19t was back in the day since 21.5 is closer to what the old 27t brushed motors were, and 17.5 is more like the 19t class motors were.

Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for this, but I feel that 17.5 class is just too fast anymore for a step up from novice class if they are a true novice.

I feel that 21.5 or maybe even 25.5 (like VTA uses) should be the new Stock class, and 17.5 should be it's own class (Just called 17.5) like 19t was back in the day since 21.5 is closer to what the old 27t brushed motors were, and 17.5 is more like the 19t class motors were.

Thoughts?
Suggesting going to a 21.5 or 25.5 motor will not solve anything imo. In a year or two we will start hearing the same things again.

Right now I feel that 17.5's are plenty of power for anyone to learn and compete with.

This is all my opinion.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oh Oh, I know, brushed silver cans for stock class

Yes, being sarcastic.

I'm fine with 17.5 for stock. I started a year ago with 17.5, ran one race in rookie (novice) then went straight to stock. I was bashed by two SCTs in my first heat, second one broke my car so I said forget rookie. I still suck at driving but I'm getting better. Another 5 years and I should be able to get out of Sportsman and into expert.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

You could be right. A lot of it could be track dependent too.

I have heard it suggested going to a different slower motor, as well as a locked timing on the can too.

Not sure what would be best, but it would be cool to see someone demo this. I'd say give it a go with 25.5's, limit to escs with no timing features in them and you could even limit battery packs too, similar to USVTA rules.

heck, wouldn't mind seeing something done in offroad similar to USVTA to have vehicles look more the part with a driver figure etc. kind of like how these look:

Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i dont personally see how 'stock" is for novices. To get the speed out of those set ups and run with the leaders is certainly not a skill most "novices" have. It's for people excited about the idea of competeting inside that particular rule set....

I think novice should be the RTR class. 2s lipo , out of the box RTR vehicles . Your choice of tires , but the rest is out of the box it came in .

None of my tracks have a novice class for adults , its kids only. I think I would have had more fun in the beginning if they did
Old 09-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Legend

I think a novice class in general is a great idea that is pretty much open to all. Maybe even make it that you are not necessarily racing against others, but more so against your own times to "qualify" out of novice.

As it sits though, there are those who want a "stock" class that offers slower racing with a competitive edge more focused on driving versus power (mainly what I hear).

having done VTA for a bit now when I have the time, its fun even though not being fast. you really focus more on your lines. Maybe something like that is what offroad could benefit from.

basically something that has the look and feel of this:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I know, not hardcore racing etc. but an idea basically.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Why not run the class open and split the classes up by skill level? Novice, Pro, Expert ???
Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by JPKinsella
Why not run the class open and split the classes up by skill level? Novice, Pro, Expert ???
it makes sense but the problem I think you run into is that people who "feel" the class is more approachable if you have a limited motor class. Without that, you may lose racers who feel they can't race due to the speeds, etc. rightly or wrongly.

me personally the most "fair" class is mod, as if I need more power, I just strap it in, but I can see benefits to having classes that pull people in, even if I feel that what I consider "fair" is not always what is best for turn out.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd like to see novice classes be a brushed class. I suspect that most novices, both kids and adults alike, have inexpensive brushed vehicles, like ECXs or XL5 Traxxas stuff. Best of all, even if a person's vehicle is brushless, you can convert to brushed very cheaply. It could go a long way toward leveling the playing field if everybody had to run the same silver can too, and if it's only a $10 motor, it really doesn't hurt anybody to have to buy one. The slower speeds would also be a godsend for novices who would learn to actually drive and wouldn't spend so much time on their lids.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fine as long as they dont have to run at the same time. Novice guys shouldnt have to worry about taking out a leader or being in the way . Its a bit intimidating to them.

Likewise , Experts shouldnt have to worry about a car 5 laps down ending their day.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I always thought this guy had the whole novice/spec thing figured out. I'd love to give it a shot as it sounds super fun, but most people dismiss it outright.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Legend

honestly lean more towards brushless systems since it seems you get a more consistent performance versus the brushed motors and longer life.

Systems these days are pretty cheap too with ESCs and motor combos I have seen from $50 - $75.

It may also be easier to get them into say another class that has current stock as the next step as an esc that could handle the "novice" motor should be able to handle 17.5

Just some thoughts, could be wrong and maybe the silver can idea is better. Just recall issues people had with the Titans, etc. and part of it could be me think it would be something open to more than just novices, like USVTA is great place for a nice but competitive slower racing too.

As a side question, anyone actually try any ideas for slower motors?

Other than dropping a 21.5 in a 2wd buggy for my daughter, nothing going as far as a slower novice class.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

I for one think we should just stick with 17.5. It is slow enough that a novice should be able to learn with it. Also going to 21.5 or 25.5 would present a problem with gearing on the vehicles too. 17.5 is already bad enough gearing wise. Maybe just look into using locked motors and no timing escs. Brushed motors should be left in the past since brushless is just as inexpensive and much better longevity wise.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is what my local track does, and I think it works out great.

Novice = Run what you brung for newbies and true novices of any age.

Sportsman = Vehicles broken out by type...1/10 2wd buggy, 2wd SCT, 1/8 buggy, etc.

Expert = Same as Sportsman, but faster drivers

At least at our track, I've never seen anyone purposefully run in a lower class. After all, we're not racing for anything but glory...and there's no glory in racing below your skill level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.