Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
PR Racing SB401 4wd Off Road Buggy >

PR Racing SB401 4wd Off Road Buggy

Like Tree89Likes

PR Racing SB401 4wd Off Road Buggy

Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 AM

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Busy weekend... sorry for the delay but here's...

PART THREE...

Here is a picture of the rear hingepin blocks. They are black anodized aluminum and the fit is spot-on!
(update : PR Racing has since sent new hingepin blocks with revised geometry. I will post an update later on the new blocks which should be included in all kits from now on)

(larger image)

The rear driveline is beefy and features a universal pin that is captured by an oversized inner bearing. The outer bearing is also larger than the typical 1050 bearing for better durability. Like the front, the rear hex is aluminum and 14mm although the kit does include a set of 12mm plastic hexes for those running 12mm wheels.

(larger image)

Quick tip on the anti-sway bar assemblies. Install the rodends on the arms before you put the rest of the suspension together. You will find it much easier. If you have trouble popping the rodends on, try installing them at an angle as shown in the picture and they should install easily.

(larger image)

We move on to the steering assembly next and everything goes together quite easily. The steering features a heavy duty servo saver assembly and PR provides both a spring or a plastic lockout so you have 2 options for the servo saver. The steering top plate and link are also carbon fiber although a thick plastic link is also provided in the box. Overall the steering assembly feels very sturdy although there is a little play. A few 5mm shims on the steering posts should take that out easily.

(larger image)

(larger image)

The center assembly and top deck are assembled next. This step isn't very difficult except for the fact that you need to pay attention to the orientation of the parts depending on whether you are running the motor in the rear left or front right configuration. I am going to run a rear left motor setup with the shorty on the rear right.

An interesting part of the top deck design is that the holes that connect to the front and rear gearboxes are larger than 3mm and a small rubber o-ring is sandwiched between the screw and the top deck. The manual suggests that you can vary the number of O-rings used in the assembly. This will in theory allow the chassis to flex to different degrees depending on the how many o-rings you use and how tightly the top plate screws are torqued down. I currently use 1 o-ring per screw and loosen the top-deck screws 1/4 turn after they are snug.

(larger image)

A close up of the center assembly with the aluminum motor mount and gear differential. The motor mount features a sliding-design and gear mesh is adjusted by sliding the motor in and out and secured by 3 screws.

Unfortunately, the center differential cannot be removed from the top of the chassis and will require the removal of the center bulkheads to access it. This will take about 10 screws in total.

(larger image)

Here's a picture of the completed rear end. Everything fits well and looks beefy enough for the rough and tumbles of 4WD racing.

(larger image)

Here is the front end assembly. Take note that my outer steering rodends are assembled wrongly. the "kink" in the rodend should skew inwards rather than outwards as I've assembled it. I'll update the picture later. Again, the entire setup looks stout enough and I look forward to testing on the track.

(larger image)
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Awesome!
Now get those shocks and electronics in it and go run that thing. We want to know how it runs
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

looking great, I can't wait for mine
Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's quite an impressive looking buggy.. Very excited about carrying this one..

I'll be opening up Pre-Orders next week for them...
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by J_Fowler View Post
It's quite an impressive looking buggy.. Very excited about carrying this one..

I'll be opening up Pre-Orders next week for them...
Just like Evolution Hobbies I also will be opening up to pre-orders soon... This buggy is going to rock
Old 09-25-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Car looks interesting for sure, very well thought out.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

bloodclod, any more updates? Have you driven the car yet? The people in the States are dieing waiting for these to get here.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Any updates on exact dates these will be shipped over to the USA? I am ready to get one built now.

I am phending really bad. Lol
Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by splashn95 View Post
Any updates on exact dates these will be shipped over to the USA? I am ready to get one built now.

I am phending really bad. Lol
Great question as I'm also waiting to build mine. Last time I checked it looked like Nov.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last I heard, we are shooting for mid November bar any unforseen issues and/or customs.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

I know its like beating a dead horse, but updates? follow ups from testings? anything or anyone hear anything.....
Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Apologies for the delay in updates. Work has gotten in the way.
Will complete the build thread soon and post more information. The car's been run and has held up well. I'm still getting used to running a center diff but the car jumps very well and in air control is ace!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

I know its like beating a dead horse, but updates? follow ups from testings? anything or anyone hear anything.....
Andrew had one at last weekends Amain Hobbies race, I believe I heard they are on there way and they where hoping in about 2 weeks, I sure hope so as I have already pre-sold 6 plus one for me LOL
Old 12-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

lets see who gets the first one to be shipped from HP
Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

lets see who gets the first one to be shipped from HP
It's on lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service