PR Racing SB401 4wd Off Road Buggy >

PR Racing SB401 4wd Off Road Buggy

Like Tree89Likes

PR Racing SB401 4wd Off Road Buggy

Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by likea45 View Post
Anyone know how this buggy stacks up against the XB4? I'm in love with my PRS1 and am considering this car but I'm just fast with my xray and love that car. I've always liked the idea of running one brand though. Feedback appreciated.
The PRSB401 buggy is just as good as the xray... I have maney friends that run the xray and a few that have the SB401 and they are really close...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I love how small my new Graupner receiver is... Fits great in the hobby pro cars...
Old 01-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone know how this buggy stacks up against the XB4? I'm in love with my PRS1 and am considering this car but I'm just fast with my xray and love that car. I've always liked the idea of running one brand though. Feedback appreciated.
I ran an XB4 all last season and loved it. It was reliable and seemed to work well on nearly any surface.

Plastic/composite diff gears were a bit of a concern at first, but proved robust enough to still have the original gears in it when I sold the car a month ago.

Had the SB401 now for a few weeks and I like it. It's built like a tank. Still breakable as I've proven!)

It's not as good as the XB4 in some respects - it's noisy (more later) and in saddle layout, it's heavy. Also, to me, it's not s good looking.

On the plus side, though, it's got all metal drive train, is superb to build, has top quality components including the shocks, which are lovely, and it's rare! I like rare cars!

Time will tell if it's really as good as the Xray, but let's say, it could be.

The noise issue is a pain. I have carefully shimmed both diffs to get it to run more quietly. It's lots better than it was, but still makes a bit of a racket. I can live with it though. I'm thinking it's going to get quieter as it beds in - hope so!

Jimmy

Center diff is standard
Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V6Jim View Post
I ran an XB4 all last season and loved it. It was reliable and seemed to work well on nearly any surface.

Plastic/composite diff gears were a bit of a concern at first, but proved robust enough to still have the original gears in it when I sold the car a month ago.

Had the SB401 now for a few weeks and I like it. It's built like a tank. Still breakable as I've proven!)

It's not as good as the XB4 in some respects - it's noisy (more later) and in saddle layout, it's heavy. Also, to me, it's not s good looking.

On the plus side, though, it's got all metal drive train, is superb to build, has top quality components including the shocks, which are lovely, and it's rare! I like rare cars!

Time will tell if it's really as good as the Xray, but let's say, it could be.

The noise issue is a pain. I have carefully shimmed both diffs to get it to run more quietly. It's lots better than it was, but still makes a bit of a racket. I can live with it though. I'm thinking it's going to get quieter as it beds in - hope so!

Jimmy

Center diff is standard
I appreciate an honest review. I have heard a few times on here that it is noisy and absolutely doesn't look as good although your pics look pretty sweet. My 2014 XB4 and my PRS1 have been killing it on the track here and I'll probably just keep the Xray for now. I really want to try this car but maybe I'll wait for a version revision down the road as my xray starts to age.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

I'm on the fence on which wheeler to buy. Someone told me the SB401 can't have the quality CF and aluminum chassis and sell it for the price it is. He doesn't think it will hold up to the rigorous abuse in mod setup and the plastics are not as tuff as the xray or D413. The D413 was my first pick until I found out how time consuming it is to get the diff out or trying to get parts. I really like the SB401 just wish some of the top drivers are driving it and winning. Guess time will tell.

Last edited by Rico54; 01-25-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixing my grammar
Old 01-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

I appreciate an honest review. I have heard a few times on here that it is noisy and absolutely doesn't look as good although your pics look pretty sweet. My 2014 XB4 and my PRS1 have been killing it on the track here and I'll probably just keep the Xray for now. I really want to try this car but maybe I'll wait for a version revision down the road as my xray starts to age.
Quality of components is absolutely first class. Plastics are superb. Noisy? Yup, but much less so now than it was when I first built it. Now sounds pretty much like any other shaft drive car with metal diffs.

Ran it today at a smallish club meeting (only 12 4WD cars) on an all carpet track. Car wasn't particularly well setup for carpet, but I still stuck it in 3rd for the final. The car has potential alright.

Jimmy
Old 01-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Quality of components is absolutely first class. Plastics are superb. Noisy? Yup, but much less so now than it was when I first built it. Now sounds pretty much like any other shaft drive car with metal diffs.

Ran it today at a smallish club meeting (only 12 4WD cars) on an all carpet track. Car wasn't particularly well setup for carpet, but I still stuck it in 3rd for the final. The car has potential alright.

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, I used to race 6 years ago in the nitro class 1/8 scale. After tons of research I feel picking the PRS1 v2, I made the right choice. Just having a hard time getting used to the smaller buggy on clay tracks. Lol I did race the rookie class my first time out and took 2nd, but I'm sure I will improve as I get use to the buggy. I saw the SB401 in action and feel that is one bad wheeler. My friend is just giving me second thoughts wether to buy or not, but I really don't know anything about these new wave of 1/10 scales. All I know is the SB401 looks to be a very nice buggy, I would think it is on par with the others like Xray, D413 and the ZX-6
Old 01-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rico54 View Post
Thanks Jimmy, I used to race 6 years ago in the nitro class 1/8 scale. After tons of research I feel picking the PRS1 v2, I made the right choice. Just having a hard time getting used to the smaller buggy on clay tracks. Lol I did race the rookie class my first time out and took 2nd, but I'm sure I will improve as I get use to the buggy. I saw the SB401 in action and feel that is one bad wheeler. My friend is just giving me second thoughts wether to buy or not, but I really don't know anything about these new wave of 1/10 scales. All I know is the SB401 looks to be a very nice buggy, I would think it is on par with the others like Xray, D413 and the ZX-6
The quality or the carbon and aluminum are just as good as any brand out there. The SB401 is just as good as any of the other cars, with the right setup and proper driving any car can win. Hell look at the 22-4 , it's a very very old design with some updates and it just won the Reedy race.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks, so how much does this buggy weigh when fully setup and ready for the track? Shorty battery

Last edited by Rico54; 01-25-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rico54 View Post
Thanks, so how much does this buggy weigh when fully setup and ready for the track? Shorty battery
Mine is 1830g in saddle. Shorty is 40g less, so 1790g.

Jimmy
Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jimmy
Jimmy, what adjustments did you make to the gear diff shimming to quiet it down? Was it adjusting the internal shims and or the outside to adjust the mesh with the input gear? I've always ran ball diffs so this car has a bit of a learning curve for me due to the diffs.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Are there any aftermarket or other brand bodies that fit this chassis well?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcgerber View Post
Jimmy, what adjustments did you make to the gear diff shimming to quiet it down? Was it adjusting the internal shims and or the outside to adjust the mesh with the input gear? I've always ran ball diffs so this car has a bit of a learning curve for me due to the diffs.
I adjusted the shims on the diff itself. Just remove the gearbox with the center driveshaft attached and the differential still in and the cover removed and just spin the shaft and listen. Mine was actually a little too loose, so I put a couple of shims in the appropriate place and gave it a spin. You can hear the difference. Just trial and error!

Shimming the pinion might be worth a try too.

Jimmy.

Last edited by V6Jim; 01-29-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2ZON View Post
Are there any aftermarket or other brand bodies that fit this chassis well?
Not sure, but I would say any shell for the Associated B44 should be close, and even the Xray XB4 shell?

Jimmy
Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Tech Rookie

What is everyone running for front wheels? Can't seem to find any anywhere....?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service