Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Spektrum DX4s and DX4r??? >

New Spektrum DX4s and DX4r???

New Spektrum DX4s and DX4r???

Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New Spektrum DX4s and DX4r???

I'm looking at getting my first 'PRO' transmitter. I'm pretty much sold on the DX4s or r. I've just been pricing them up and have noticed Amain and gonitrohobbies on ebay are giving away 2 x ACV receivers for 'FREE'. This sounds like a great deal BUT the sceptic in me is asking why??? Is there a new model or DX4's coming out and are they trying to clear stock???? Or is this just a SUPER deal???
Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would not think they are replacing that radio for some time yet, they are still fresh and new.

The free AVC though may be just a push to get that technology out in hands. My guess is the cost to spekrum for the AVC vs the basic receiver is not different and if they loose a couple of bucks in margin to up the volume then they are happy with that.

Also, with the habit of running multiple cars on a single radio now it just makes sense to me. Once you buy a radio it is a major expense to change brands later. I use Spektrum now myself because that is what I started with and it is just easier to keep on that path.

Also, FWIW, do not use NiMH in the radio for spektrum you will not like it at all. Use disposable, NiZN or Lipo. The 4 AA radio does not like low voltage and NiMH will be an issue...
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lbenton
I would not think they are replacing that radio for some time yet, they are still fresh and new.

The free AVC though may be just a push to get that technology out in hands. My guess is the cost to spekrum for the AVC vs the basic receiver is not different and if they loose a couple of bucks in margin to up the volume then they are happy with that.

Also, with the habit of running multiple cars on a single radio now it just makes sense to me. Once you buy a radio it is a major expense to change brands later. I use Spektrum now myself because that is what I started with and it is just easier to keep on that path.

Also, FWIW, do not use NiMH in the radio for spektrum you will not like it at all. Use disposable, NiZN or Lipo. The 4 AA radio does not like low voltage and NiMH will be an issue...
Yeh that makes sence mate, I think I'm just paranoid lol. Cheers bro
Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lbenton

I've been using nimh in my dx3r for a few years before switching to m12, no problems at all
Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ferrarieeeee
I've been using nimh in my dx3r for a few years before switching to m12, no problems at all
At the very least NiMH batteries cause range issues in the newer Spektrum transmitters, they only run at 5 volts and it is happier at 6+

At $2 a battery and another $10 or less for a charger I would say NiZN will do you better.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by osavage1
I'm looking at getting my first 'PRO' transmitter. I'm pretty much sold on the DX4s or r. I've just been pricing them up and have noticed Amain and gonitrohobbies on ebay are giving away 2 x ACV receivers for 'FREE'. This sounds like a great deal BUT the sceptic in me is asking why??? Is there a new model or DX4's coming out and are they trying to clear stock???? Or is this just a SUPER deal???
Would not buy a Spektrum if you wan't a "pro" transmitter, unless you are sponsored by them. They are not fast, and absolutely not the best out there + they have voltage drop issues.

When you want a decent radio go for the Futaba 4PX (4pk second hand), a 4PL or a sanwa. They are fast, super in the hand and looking nice.

Drove Spektrum and now driving Futaba, I was 0.5s faster
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah that Spektrum stuff is junk........Oh wait.........Maybe not since Dakota Phend used a DX4R to win 6 Roar national championships with it this year.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WIGMAN
Yeah that Spektrum stuff is junk........Oh wait.........Maybe not since Dakota Phend used a DX4R to win 6 Roar national championships with it this year.
Like I said, if you get a sponsorship, do it all the way ! The pro's drive as good with everything, but it all goes about the $$$