R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Best tire sauce to keep from packing up? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/83666-best-tire-sauce-keep-packing-up.html)

ahsikes 09-10-2005 07:28 PM

Best tire sauce to keep from packing up?

I have been away from offroad for a while. An offroad track opened in my area for the first time in a while and the tire of choice is some pin.

I was wondering what is available to prevent the tires from packing up with clay?

I used to use simple green, greased lightning, and others, but just wanted to know what the latest/greatest is.

Aaron Waldron 09-10-2005 07:33 PM

I've never used anything other than Simple Green. If the dirt sticks to your tires, it's gonna stick to the dirt on the track..and that means traction.

ahsikes 09-10-2005 07:40 PM

thanks Aaron. Just wanted to check if there was something new. Been running sedan all summer and every track has its sauce it seems.

Wild Cherry 09-10-2005 08:55 PM

If you just use motor spray , no tire grip , the tires will come off the track cleaner.....

stuff like tire grip, ect., can leave a film or slime that is stickie .......

The best however is staight diesel fuel, but this is used mostly on slicks.....

All this is asssuming you are running on a slickie wet clay surface.... :tire:

Platinum_Racing 09-10-2005 10:28 PM

WD-40 works very well.

jbrow1 09-10-2005 11:38 PM

So do you just spray on the simple green right before your heat? Or do it a bit before and let it dry? I tried wd40 before right before a heat and it was just like ice with it. Funny another guy tried it today and he said the same thing.

jaejw1 09-11-2005 12:21 AM

after you spray the tires down with the wd40 you have to let it sit for about 5- 10 minutes,, and then wipe off any access... i hav yet to have problem ith grip,,,, one it makes the tires supple and it allows for a cleaner tire after your run..

Aaron Waldron 09-11-2005 01:41 AM

I'd usually wash the tires with diluted Simple Green and keep them in a zip-loc bag for storage.

Tubaboy 09-11-2005 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I'd usually wash the tires with diluted Simple Green and keep them in a zip-loc bag for storage.

Same here, this is what just about everybody does at my track that runs fast.

Driver1 09-11-2005 06:29 PM

our track is a wet clay

zip-free does very well

Aaron Waldron 09-11-2005 09:58 PM

I only ever run Zip-Free or any traction compound on indoor tracks where you're using Taper Pins or something similar. But then yeah...it helps quite a bit.

For outdoor tracks that tend to load up the tires, that's when Simple Green works best.

DrOlds 09-11-2005 11:37 PM

I wash brand new tires with straight simple green and a brush but after that I only use the simple green diluted about 5:1 on them about once a month.It makes them stickier but it also makes it easier to wash the dirt off-clear water and a brush will get them clean as new for a long time.

Wild Cherry 09-12-2005 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Driver1
our track is a wet clay

zip-free does very well

Have you tried slicks ?

also pink taper`s ?

tex1 09-13-2005 06:10 AM

Traction Hint

Guys Aaron is right.
Here is why. When the track packs in the dirt on your tires it will be dirt on dirt traction. Like materials stick to each other and bond forming a very aggressive traction situation.
Keep your tires clean and you are good to go. If the dirt does not break up and fall off when you pinch the loaded tire then you can run softer foams. Use stiff foams or staged foams if the dirt flakes off or cracks.
On tread pattern - use the shortest pattern possible that will still pack. Since you are dependant on "dirt on dirt" traction do not go too aggressive with the tread or you will be carrying too much weight.

When it is mildly muddy and our track packs up, I run Losi King Pins with 2 stage foam. Square fuzzys let the dirt fall off and clear out which means lost traction. Ifmars get real heavy and the round pins let the dirt fall off.
The King Pins pack up just right and it is wheelie time!

Other track conditions require different approaches.
Hope this helps.
;)
TEX

VelvettFogg 09-13-2005 09:12 AM

Lemon Pledge Furnature Polish.

Spray it on clean tires, and then let it dry.

Dont scoff ... try it :)