R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default b4 lighter chassis

What is a lighter chassis for the b4? I am looking to lighten up my b4 becouse I am running a stock moter class and would like as fast a buggy as possible. I have bought the trinity aluminum front hinge plate, rpm blue clutch cover, rpm front bumper and a trinity killer b body. I have the best gearing I can find for the 27 turn moter and I am getting a lighter esc. Thanks for and info.

Last edited by stampeder; 09-09-2005 at 12:13 PM.
stampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I'm pretty sure the lightest chassis available for the B4 is Associated's Factory Team graphite one.

Do you have the factory team kit? If you want to lighten your car up, I suggest you start by replacing the stock plastic parts with graphite ones if you're running the stock team kit.

Also, you can use aluminum and titanium screws (aluminum in low-stress areas) instead of the stock steel ones. The RPM gear cover weighs more than the stock one, and I assume the front bumper does as well. MIP makes aluminum CVD's, and there are companies making lightweight (sometimes even titanium) outdrives.

Sometimes the lightest car isn't always the fastest around the track. A little bit of weight can make the car easier to drive.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure most guys running buggy are adding some weight in specific places. The amount of weight lost probably isnt worth the money you are going to spend to shed some ounces.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Tech Elite

A lot of time, the stiffness of graphite composite or carbon fiber composite suspension components helps the handling of the car more than the weight bonus.

It's pretty common to see aluminum pivot blocks and stuff to add some of the weight back. A lot of the Associated guys run weight on their cars as well.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff

For the B4 all the team driver's ditch the graphite chassis and replace with the plastic one. It makes this particular car more forgiving. Check the set-up sheets on the Associated site...all notes indicate they are running the plastic chassis....

Just thought I'd pass that on.
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutfluff
For the B4 all the team driver's ditch the graphite chassis and replace with the plastic one. It makes this particular car more forgiving. Check the set-up sheets on the Associated site...all notes indicate they are running the plastic chassis....

Just thought I'd pass that on.
agreed, the composite chassis is booty...i had one on my original b4 and hated it...went back to a plastic chassis and the car was great.
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No doubt, I have a graphite chassis I'll sell you.
Dustinkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Suspended

Send a message via AIM to Gabe Boudreau

Last edited by Gabe Boudreau; 10-19-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Gabe Boudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

If your not an experienced racer then you might not be able to tell the difference between the stiffness and flexibility of both chassis'.

Just to be on the safe side i would leave the plastic composite chassis and upgrade both shocks towers and all 4 a-arms to graphite. Thats what most do anyway.

Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

A b4 is pretty close to the minimum legal weight to begin with. I would weigh the car before you start spending any money on it. The nice thing about having a light (below minimum) weight car is that you get to choose where the extra weight goes.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Tech Master

HeY!!!

also what ever you do do not put on the trinity rear hubs... for some reason few others and i have had nothing but bad luck w/ them.... or else all you'll need is the graphite converion kit and toss the graphite chassis to the side... you can try it out if ya want....

LaTa JoSh
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you want to lighten up your B4 load here are a few tips...

1) Every top driver uses the plastic chasis so while this chasis weighs more than the graphite it won't matter if you don't have a responsive car. If you are REALLY committed to reducing weight you can cut out battery slots for the chasis which reduces weight and lowers the cg of the buggy. See pic below.

2) Replace steel with Titanium. Depending on the money you have to spend I suggest going with a Lunsford B4 screw set, shock mounts and hingepins. But these hop ups can run you well over $100, you may find knock off titanium screws on eBay but trust me when I say they are CRAP. You can even get titanium CVD's but not sure of their performance. Here is a link. Also if you aren't using the factory team titanium turnbuckles pick them or the lunsford up.

3) Use everything in the graphite conversion kit except the chasis. Shock towers, arms, battery strap, etc.

4) The RPM parts are actually heavier than the stock parts so if having the lightest possible buggy is your goal you may want to go back to the stock bumper and clear gear cover that comes in the factory kit.

5) Trinity makes lightweight slipper plates for the B4/T4 but there is some debate on whether they are actually lighter or not. Trinity has said they are 5% lighter but on most scales they show up at 6 grams just like the stock slipper plates.

6) Make sure you are using the lightweight outdrives that come with the factory kit.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
b4 lighter chassis-19_1_b.jpg  
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

thanks I think I will stick with the plastic part and will look for other parts to lighten up.
stampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #14
Tech Addict

I think I read that the rpm front bumper and gear cover add some weight (7 grams if I remember correctly) so ditch those and go back to the stock parts.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i wouldnt worry about running a super light car. most (if not all B4 drivers) use a ton of weight in the back of the car. later down the road (if your not already there) you will want to add weight to the car and your going to look back at this and see what im talking about.
BlazinB4 is offline   Reply With Quote