R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Electric Buggies

I would like an electric buggy, but they are almost the same price as onroad cars here, does anyone have any reccomendations on 1) bang for your buck buggies and 2) stadium trucks vs buggies vs monster trucks.
I am just looking at bashing, which is why i want to keep it cheap
thanks
-Adam
commanderkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Tech Adept

If you're looking to keep it cheap, then go electric and go with either a Duratrax Evader EP or Duratrax Evader ST. The EP is a buggy and the ST is truck. Both are elctric and come ready to run. Tower Hobbies offers some good combo prices that include a battery and a charger to get you going as soon you receive the car. Charge up the battery, put it in the car and go terrorize the wild dogs and cats in your neighborhood.

You could go nitro, too, but the fuel will be the killer for you. About $20/gal or more.

Stock electric motors run about $30 or so and you probably would have to buy a new one about every 4 months or so, depending on your usage. Your local hobby shop can also cut the commutator for you to help keep it tip top shape for a good while.

http://www.towerhobbies.com

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0893** Truck combo with 2 batteries and a charger $209

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0908** Buggy combo with 2 batteries and a charger $199

Hope this helps.
briansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I cant do online, but i do have onroad cars... i could just switch my stuff - and what is up with that motor thing?! mine ... tamiya silver can is still working... i dont get what you said about it... all i need though is like a buggy ... cheap... that i cna get at the hobby shop... cheap... can i get just rolling chassis for cheap brand new? i cant find any used ones, but i would like a used one...
Old 09-09-2005, 04:02 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkeen
I cant do online, but i do have onroad cars... i could just switch my stuff - and what is up with that motor thing?! mine ... tamiya silver can is still working... i dont get what you said about it... all i need though is like a buggy ... cheap... that i cna get at the hobby shop... cheap... can i get just rolling chassis for cheap brand new? i cant find any used ones, but i would like a used one...
So go to your local shop and see what they have that you can afford.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:16 AM   #5
Tech Regular

i say go nitro for bashing. it would be cheaper (rtr car + fuel) a nitro truck!!

electric u will need to but batteries, charger, etc
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

i have the batts and everything - the hobby shop only has a couple tamiya buggies but he can order stuff for me which is why im asking, can he get evaders?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Tech Adept

That's a question for the hobby shop owner.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

he isnt into buggies, i know guys with MTs and guys with onroad nitros and electrics, im looking for input on BUGGIES, i dont know anyone who has one around here, or can give me any info...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Well, what kind of input are you asking for? You're on an Internet message board, so I can only assume you have access to the Internet. I gave you a couple of links to check out, but you can't buy it online. That's okay. Go to http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd22.html. That will tell you all about the Duratrax Evader buggy. If you want to keep it cheap, then that is what you should get.

They have a one-year stress tech guarantee, which means if you break a part send Duratrax the broken part and they will replace it for free. Any part for a year.

Can you do mail order? Or do you have to buy in person? Tower Hobbies can also do phone orders, so you can get that combo from them without having to use the Internet.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Right now towerhobbies is selling the Evader BX RTR Pro for $175! (Originally $270) So if you plan to get the Evader nows the chance.

I used to own an Evader BX and i had a blast with it. I was surprised how strong it was. Im not joking either, this was one strong buggy and it does have some potential on the track. Its basically a Losi XX-CR rebadged as a Duratrax.

Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Where are you located at?

The Evader is similar in design to the older losi XX series and suprisingly alot of the parts fit as well as some XXX parts on the evader series.

For bashing, the Losi XXX or Associated B4 are admirable vehicles. You may want to look into a RTR AE B4. I believe these can be had for around $200 now and come with a pretty fast motor. Handling will be much better with the B4 too. It would be nice if losi had a RTR XXX as another option.

If you don't mind alittle more work, look into the RTR Academy SB if you can get it. Its 4wd, pretty cheap, and runs great.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 AM   #12
Tech Regular

hi guys
anyone got the list of the different parts between B4 factory & B4 stealth kit
price difference is abt USD50, but im not a big fan of hop-up parts, like to run the car stock.
thx
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
Tech Adept

The main difference between the factory and stealth editions are graphite and titanium.

All graphite parts on the factory and the turnbuckles are titanium. Also has threaded shock bodies.
The stealth uses the plastic composite parts and the turnbuckles are steel. Shock bodies are still hard anodized aluminum, but not threaded. It uses spacers to adjust spring height.

Other than that they are exactly the same. The main difference is stiffness and weight. The factory edition is lighter and more stiff than the stealth kit. That is supposed to translate into better handling and a faster car, but usually only detectable for an experienced driver. If you're not that experienced (1 to 2 years), then you probably won't feel much difference. If you're planning on running stock, I think you'll be happy with the stealth kit. You can always upgrade parts later if you want.

Of course, for a $50 difference it would be worth the upgrades. The upgrades alone are worth about $150 individually.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 AM   #14
Tech Regular

thx for the info
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:16 AM   #15
Tech Regular

if you want a car, i say get the best from the start if you think you will stick with this sport for a while. if you get the downgraded version you will always feel like hopping up later ,and it wastes more money. also if you get the best from the start you will be more happier with your product and it will sell better.
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote