R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default XB9e vs MBX7 Eco

I wanted a racer that can be used as basher later on when it gets old. Something durable and competitive.
I have a rc8.2e but I can't get it to drive as smooth as my friends mbx7 Eco or xb9e.
RomanCandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

Yea the Mugen is a diffent buggy compared to the XB9 and RC8.2 . I'm thinking that the RC8.2 drives more like the Tekno buggy steering wise and handling maybe . I dont know many people that run the XB9e so i don't know .

The Mugen I been running the ECO 6 version not the Eco 7 it's pretty smooth on the steering with the pillow ball setup . Is it a strong buggy other than the front lower suspension arms which is the weak part but boiling them in water helped with that greatly . Both the Eco models are competitive with setuo and driving sure.

So sure it can be run as both . Keep in mind the pillow ball front end is a little more work to deal with .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I bet those pillow balls alone allow the car to handle better then 2e. Do you clean them every race?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have you spent some trying different castor set ups with your buggy ?
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Have you spent some trying different castor set ups with your buggy ?
That's the thing, I have not had much time or help getting my buggy dialed in. The guys at my tractk response to anything is simply to get a new buggy, the eb48 or mugen, xray... That does make my buggy seem inferior when I look at it. Its an rtr, had I known I'd start racing I would have bought the kit.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Tech Master

That's all BS. Real shame that's what you have help wise at your track. Run your buggy , be the crew chief . take very specific notes after each run about what you wish the buggy was doing . There is a lot of adjustability in all the buggies , learn to make setup changes that get you what you want. The hudy set up guide is a valuable thing to have .
Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCandles View Post
I bet those pillow balls alone allow the car to handle better then 2e. Do you clean them every race?

I guess so I've had C-hub suspension many times if anything it's much less twitchy on the steering and smoother with the Pillow balls compared to the C-hubs .

I use silicone spray on the balls and the cap inside and let it dry . Not much dirt gets into it main thing is to have some play in the hubs to prevent binding and not keeping the dirt stuck inside . Found out it's mostly the plastic stock caps not the balls that causes it they have upgraded ones that are better .

But before using spray I did need to take it apart to clean a couple of times .

Your RC8.2 is fine just do some small changes yourself and it will come to your driving/jumping .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCandles View Post
I wanted a racer that can be used as basher later on when it gets old. Something durable and competitive.
I have a rc8.2e but I can't get it to drive as smooth as my friends mbx7 Eco or xb9e.
I had an XB9e for a while. One of the best handling buggies I ever drove. However, parts are outrageously expensive and the drive train seems to wear fast. Not a good combination. I had an MBX6e also. That's my favorite buggy to date. Best combination of handling, durability, and value.

That being said, if you are going looking for a part time racer/basher, the RC8.2e should be fine.
Associated FT T4.2
blade329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
That's all BS. Real shame that's what you have help wise at your track. Run your buggy , be the crew chief . take very specific notes after each run about what you wish the buggy was doing . There is a lot of adjustability in all the buggies , learn to make setup changes that get you what you want. The hudy set up guide is a valuable thing to have .
That's why I'm on rctech. I decided to keep the rc8.2e. I might get the tekno v4 and call it a day.

Anyways my old track was full of guys that were just plain cool. Too bad they moved.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Tech Master

Dollarhobbyz will have some factory team parts that will help you. You should try and get the adj suspension hangers , and the shock towers . That will give you some options you don't have now. I think the v4 would be nice, that buggy is not the latest and greatest , but it can win club races .

https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rc8.2