Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TQ 13 gauge wire on 1/8 Buggy???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TQ 13 gauge wire on 1/8 Buggy???

I have a Losi 8ight E 3.0 that I am wanting to rewire mostly for cosmetic reasons. I have heard people say good things about TQ wires so I ordered the 5 wire set of TQ 13 gauge wire. It looks a lot thinner than what is in there now. Is anyone running this wire on an 1/8 scale buggy? I will be running 4s on a Tekin RX8 esc and Tekin R8 2050kv.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by TahoeDust
I have a Losi 8ight E 3.0 that I am wanting to rewire mostly for cosmetic reasons. I have heard people say good things about TQ wires so I ordered the 5 wire set of TQ 13 gauge wire. It looks a lot thinner than what is in there now. Is anyone running this wire on an 1/8 scale buggy? I will be running 4s on a Tekin RX8 esc and Tekin R8 2050kv.
i run it in my buggy with no problems.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

TQ wire has a thinner silicone coating than most other wires, so it looks smaller but seems to perform similarly to 12 gauge. Since their only other option is 10 gauge I would say you should be fine. However running 10 gauge won't hurt at all either.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

OK. Thanks guys. I'll get to work getting it done tonight.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Best wire on the market!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys! I love how easy this wire was to work with. If it holds up, which from all accounts it should, I can see myself using it in all my cars.

Done and done...

Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How does this wire compare to Deans 12ga Wet Noodle?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
How does this wire compare to Deans 12ga Wet Noodle?
Better softer

I have been using this wire before it came on the market. Best thing I found out there.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

About identical. The lower the number the greater the a strand count usually which means more flexible and easy to work with. The key is to use the bare minimum amount of solder when you Pre-Tin and when you solder up points so that only the exposed portion of the lead will lose flexibility.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
About identical. The lower the number the greater the a strand count usually which means more flexible and easy to work with..
Actually, the gauge number only refers to the diameter of the wire. Higher strand count is better, but usually found in higher quality wires (like we get from TQ, Deans, Novak and other RC oriented companies).
Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lidebt2
Best wire on the market!
Second best. Dean's Wet Noodle is better.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Actually, the gauge number only refers to the diameter of the wire. Higher strand count is better, but usually found in higher quality wires (like we get from TQ, Deans, Novak and other RC oriented companies).
Absolutely, but these "purpose manufactured" wires are ready made wire from overseas companies so the strand count isn't anything specially designed for RC because it's ready made stock. Strand count varies for each gauge and one can order large rolls of the exact same wire these RC "Brands" offer with your own custom logo printed right on insulation. I had some Tekin branded wire I got with my first RS Pro as well as with my 2nd RS Pro, and the white wire in particular was different. The white wire that came with the older ESC had more strands and was softer and more flexible than the white wire included with the 2nd ESC, and even the insulation was a bit different too. It was close enough, but noticeable if you compared them directly. Goes to show that "brand name" wire will vary and is not always consistent.

I've wanted to place an order for custom colored wires last year and spoke with several manufacturers and found the exact same "brand name" stuff RC companies sell as their own, but the minimum order was too costly for me so I decided to hold off. Red, Black, Yellow, Orange and Blue are great but if you enjoy wiring up your cars and having it match a custom scheme, having colored wire to go with it all is a nice option.