Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Please help me understand >

Please help me understand

Please help me understand

Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Please help me understand

Hey guys, just got a few questions. I picked up a TLR 22T truck kit last winter and built it up with a traxxas brushless motor and speed control. Now that the laughing is over....... I recently upgraded to a Novak Edge esc with a ballistic 17.5 motor. This seems like a nice combo and is giving me a lot more throttle control than I had before on the track which is nice! now onto the hard parts. This motor allows me to advance and retard the timing, this is where im a bit confused. To me advancing the timing should give the motor more rpms and retarding would give me less???? I currently have the truck geared 26/82 I think its 82 which is stock. and the car is fairly slow. Ive ordered a few more spurs (78 and 76) which should help me out. However tonight I went out and was ripping the car around at the track and figured id screw with the timing thing a bit. I started out at 30 which is as far as they recommend you retard the timing and gradually worked my way up to 45 which is max! I never really noticed any difference? Just wanted to hear what you guys think about this. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

That combo is going to be slower than the vxl for sure. It should be rite at home on the track. I would set up the base gearing for your track first and use the timing feature to get that little bit of an edge.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok thanks a lot. sounds like im going in the right general direction here! and ya its a lot slower but that's what I wanted. I bought this car to help my driving skills in total and with that vxl in there.... well lets just say that driving skill didn't matter a whole lot haha
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a question, Im so lost when it comes to gearing, but why would you be retarding the timing? I was taught to set your gearing to how you like the torque then adjust timing for top end by advancing the timing? Not a dig at anyone, just jumping on board trying to learn. My 17.5s always seem way slower than everyone else's.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Motor timing will give you more power from the motor, at the expense of more motor heat.

You need to gear according to how much timing you run, as well as for the track, and for your overall ratio. In 17.5 you can usually run a lot of timing and it's not uncommon to see people running 30+ degrees.