Can't decide...

Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool Can't decide...

I have had a p4de for a while now, and it seems the wife would like one. I was told "If you get a second one, I will use it." WOOOO!

BUT the p4de and a 18MT are my only RCs at the moment. (MT is geared 18/54 with a sidewinder system. Nimh pushes this thing to 50 before it flips ) I really like Traxxas for the parts availability and aftermarket selection. So that is all I've looked in to. I just bash in grass and on dirt trails. Some really big dirt bike platform jumps (platforms are over 6' tall).

Doing a lot of research, I've found I really like the Summit. Looks awesome, its big, powerful, lots of fancy features... But I don't have a place to run it as its intended. Also its brushed. I should mention while I don't want to spend it all, my budget is about 900$ for the new RC and batteries and such.

So the Emaxx and Erevo look nice. Expensive, reviews say Emaxx has lots of weak points, and both take 2 batteries which ups the cost. I like the size of them both though. Not the biggest long term budget though, so not sure about these.

Finally, from what Ive looked at, the Slash 4x4 VXL. Almost the same as the pede, slightly bigger and the body makes it look bigger (wife will loathe the fact that her RC is bigger than mine....) and it shares the parts with the pede. The Slash is much cheaper than the other listed RCs, so I would get bigger wheels and a bunch of upgrades with it, along with a bunch of batteries and still be under the price of a stock summit/erevo/emaxx. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it is so similar to the stampede... I feel like I'm basically buying 2 of the same RC.

I'm not looking to start a war, just looking for opinions. I honestly haven't looked at other brands much. A bit of HPI, but the truck looked too much like a toy to me. I'm very indecisive as I won't be able to buy an RC every month, or even every year, seeing as some can buy them almost weekly it seems
Old 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

In my opinion the erevo is better then the emaxx. It handles better and is more durable then the emaxx. I think you would have more fun with the erevo.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get a truggy...
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

What truggy should I get? Don't want anything specifically for racing. Needs to be durable...
Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

If I was bashing, it seems a truggy gives you a lot of the same kind of options you can get with a monster truck that isn't setup to say have solid axles or the ability to lock diffs on the fly, etc. You can always slap on the appropriate tires you want for a monster kind of effect on truggies assuming 17mm hex and go.

Me personally if I was grabbing a vehicle between a 1/8 MT and say a truggy, having owned the E-Revo, E-maxx, Losi LST as well as a RC8T truggy, I probably would choose the truggy again. Seems to me a much simplier setup to do the same kind of thing for bashing.

Now, having owned a 1 /5 converted Savage ... Now thats a different discussion
Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have had all the big name bashers. Traxxas, savage, let and 1/5 scales. The best basher that I have owned was a truggy. The thunder tiger st4 g3. It's RTR for around $450. I put some Mt tires on and let it rip. If got back into bashing 100% hands down that's what I would get again.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you want bigger,stay away from the Emaxx and go with the E revo. The Emaxx weak point for bashing is the bulkhead design and will constantly break or if you upgrade the bulkheads the chassis breaks. I had an E revo and raced it against truggys when I started racing and it handled as well and never broke on me. You also can't go wrong with a Slash 4x4 and if you swap the body out,remove bumpers/put on Stampede 4x4 bumpers,get bigger tires, you essentially have a longer wheelbase stampede 4x4. Personally,if I was in your situation,I would get the slash 4x4 and make it into a longer wheelbase stampede 4x4 since you'd only have to carry parts for essentially one vehicle since they share majority of parts.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

want to add one thing. There is one vehicle right now that has kind of caught my attention that isn't a truggy, but it hasn't been released yet.

Its the Kyosho FO-XX . It looks similar to there Mad Force vehicle. I don't know why its caught my attention, it could be the solid axle design I am thinking and its price from tower.

this basically:

http://youtu.be/i8mZnG9BRWU
Old 08-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1/8 e-truggy's are the king of bashers. I work in a hobby store and have a customer that has owned just about everything. His group of friends like the HPI vorza and stay away from the trophy line. There tekno d8t and et48 are the preferred toys on 6s. Tons of power, stable, and can take a serious beating. He's even got the aluminum venter drive shafts in the et48 and they hold up. The HPI trophy line is OK but not nearly as good as the d8/vorza cars.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

I saw the FO-XX, looks cool but the solid axle would be of no use to me really. I like it too, but would prefer independent suspension just because I run on grass and need the ground clearance and stability in turns. I will look into what you guys have said and see whats out there. Like I said, I only have the P4de and an 18MT thats probably about 6-7 years old. I love that lil thing, never touched bearings, only things that broke were arms, shocks and the chassis once from radio crapping out and hitting a wall at full speed... I do like associated, so Ill look there. I figure this wont be my last RC anyway, so if anything the slash will work good and as intensebmxer said, less parts to carry around, and they use the same batteries.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Also should note I need electric (noise restrictions around here...), and 4x4 is preferred. Driven a friends 2wd stampede, did not enjoy it as much. Front end seems more fragile.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would recommend the E-revo as I have one and the only thing ive broken on it is the front a-arm but after I replaced it with rpm arms its never broken. The E-revo has some pretty good durability for bashing so you don't need to upgrade it that much. The slash is kind of the same as the stampede except for the tires, bumpers, and shock guards. I would go for the E-revo also has many options.