Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Slash 4x4 1/10 Short Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas Slash 4x4 1/10 Short Battery Life

Hey everyone, i recently purchased my first RC car. I bought the traxxas slash 4x4. Its a really fun and fast car, but i have a problem with it... the battery. Ever since i bought it (about 1 week ago) the battery life has been very short (about 6 minutes) after a 6 hour charge as recommended in the manual. Does anyone else have this problem with this specific model? Would anyone know what the problem could be and how it can be fixed? If a powerful battery is required, what would be a more powerful battery i could purchase (links please)?

-Thanks for any info on the topic
Old 08-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

While it shouldn't be completely dead within 6 minutes, the stock NiMh battery drains to poor voltage within 10 minutes of use. The play-to-charge ration for the stock setup is just punishingly bad.

It will make you sigh abit after buying a $400 RTR, but really the best route is good LiPo batteries and a balance charger. Experience with both of these vary a lot depending on the user, so expect a lot of opinions here. I personally use SMC packs and a cheap but functional vista-power metal case charger. Batteries were about 60 each, charger 80, and it will let you play hard for about 20-30 minutes per pack (5000mah) then wait 1 hour for a full balance charge.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Initiate

We need to know what batteries you are using , lipo or nimh. Also what motor/esc you have Brushed or brushless.

If you have the nimh batteries and a brushed system you are getting just about as much as you can get.

If you have lipo's and a brushless system you should get longer run times as long as you are not overheating your equipment.