R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Which starter box is good?

I am deciding on what to buy for a 1/8 buggy starter box.
Which type is the best type and why?

Battery choices
1) the ones with 12V battery
2) the ones with 2x 7.2V batteries

Motor choices:
1) the ones with one big 12V motor
2) the ones with one 750 motor
3) the ones with two 750 motors
4) the ones with two 540 motors

Any particular brand that is value for money?
Thanks

Last edited by turboburns; 09-03-2005 at 12:41 AM.
turboburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to travymoto1

I like the Integy line of starter boxes. I have a single 750 motor version for my 1/10th scale .12 motor cars and the heavy duty duel 750 motor version for my 1/8th buggy. The single 750 motor is plenty to start my .21 buggy motor though. I use a 12v gell cell to power them. They come with plenty of adaptation to fit just about any chassis.
travymoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I would say get an Ofna box since I have one.I still have integy boxes that I don't use anymore.I have the single 750,and duel 750 boxes.The duel 750's will work fine for an 1/8th scale.But the single motor one gets hot and stops working very fast.I have sinced changed to the OFNA box and the quality is very high,and starts alot faster then the integy boxes did.But I've also heard the mugen box is very good to.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thunder Tiger boxes are excellent too.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I picked up a GS Racing prostarter box and was skeptic at first. The one 750 has plenty of power to turn over a new OS VZ-B Vspec. What I reallylike is the size, weight and price. It's alot smaller than the Ofna boxes and most other boxes and with 2-7.2v batteries it's super light which is great for carrying to the pit lane. You can find them for $70-80. Just go to GS Silicon website and check it out. Plus you can get them in 3 different colors (black, blue, purple).
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

I brought a Gell Cell battery - the guy at the hobby shop said it cant be charged with an eletronic charger (i'm using a charge tronic charger can found on the front page www.rchobbies.com.au).

I'm a little concerned using the standard charger because it doesnt have any indicators and it doesnt tell you when its fully charged....

Any help would be appreicated (e.g. settings etc).

Thanks
Aceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

just get an ofna box. they are great, and work great without any problems. i sold my ofna box for 45 dollars not so long ago, but thats only because i run electric now. anyway, its your choice on what battery you want to take. i bought a 12V battery, and it worked great. i dont know about buying 2 stick packs though...never tried that. anyway, either battery route you pick should be fine.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OFNA Chrome Top or the Mugen bok work great. With the Mugen box get a set of TITAN (emaxx) motors to replace the stock motors when they go out and it will be slammin.
HTH
Rod
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboy
Hi,

I brought a Gell Cell battery - the guy at the hobby shop said it cant be charged with an eletronic charger (i'm using a charge tronic charger can found on the front page www.rchobbies.com.au).

I'm a little concerned using the standard charger because it doesnt have any indicators and it doesnt tell you when its fully charged....

Any help would be appreicated (e.g. settings etc).

Thanks
It's a trickle charger and will not hurt that battery if you leave it plugged in for a week. The gel cell battery is your basic lead/acid automotive/motorcycle battery and is very had to mess up. The thing you need to avoid is deep discharging it because it can sulfunate just like its big brother in your car.

I like the OFNA chrome top 12V box but it is a bit on the heavy side with a 7A gel cell in it.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Team magic X5 starter box.