Mod motor timing

Old 08-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mod motor timing

Been running an sc10.2 with a 17.5t revtech and a Hobbywing stock spec 3.1 for a while and wanted to give mod a shot. I started playing around with esc timing on the 17.5 and was able to make some nice improvements over cranked endbell, 0 esc timing.

I just got a trackstar 8.5t motor to play around with and started off with 84/19 gearing. I was blown away by the power, pulling wheelies down the street for my test run.

Anyway, i was wondering what most people are running for timing on mod motors. I assume zero endbell and then something with the esc. Just looking for a good place to start before I head to the track since mod is new to me.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I don't know anyone in Mod who uses timing. I'm sure a couple people do, but it's not really needed.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As I was wheelying down the street at lightning fast speed with zero timing I was thinking that I didn't know why I would ever need more power/speed than what I currently had. I guess I was right

So far, I am liking mod way better than stock. Buy a motor, put it in the truck, gear it reasonably well, go fast. Stock took a ridiculous amount of fooling around.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

For 2wd buggy 10.5 its nice to add a bit on most tracks. 8.5 is good without on most tracks unless there is a really long straight. 7.5 no esc timing ever.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I don't know anyone in Mod who uses timing. I'm sure a couple people do, but it's not really needed.
I have heard of outdoor guys doing it. You can run a softer motor in lower traction conditions and still have a ton of speed. Doesn't make much sense where we race because group is higher and tracks often have a difficult jump to clear.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Tech Legend

Most motors come set at 20 degree.
Can go to 10 degree for improved response or feel for smaller jumps.
Or
30 degree for softer bottom end & more top speed.