R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   novak ss5800 system issues (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/82795-novak-ss5800-system-issues.html)

WsW-WYATT-EARP 09-01-2005 08:40 AM

novak ss5800 system issues

system ran great until last night ...

slowed down half way through the 1st lap of the first qualifier. before the 2nd qualifier it would not run at all ... then if i turned the wheels it would start up ??
if i would stop it .. it wouldn't run again ... the lights on the speed controller seem to be working .. red until i get full throttle then the green comes on .. so i am suspecting something in the motor itself ??

anyone have any ideas ?? anything would be appreciated ...

thanks
Ben

Platinum_Racing 09-01-2005 08:47 AM

If it still has the origional plugs and wires you can still return it to Novak for repair. I have never really had much experience with brushless systems before, but I have plenty of knowledge on how they work and understand there design.

With a brushed motor this could be attributed to poor timing or worn brishes. With a brushless motor I am not so sure. I would think it would be the speed contol. Hook up a multimeter and check to see what kind of voltage is getting to the power terminals on the motor. There really isn't too much that would need to be replaced in a brushless system, so I wouldn't think there would be any worn pieces inside.

briansid 09-01-2005 09:55 AM

You also might want to check the sensor wires. Those are the 6 or 7 little tiny wires that come from the motor to the white wiring harness in the speed control. One might be coming loose. Novak even admits this happens from time to time in the instruction manual. Also make sure the solder points are solid and fully attached. Also, check the screws on the motor can. There should be three on the end of the motor with the wires. Make sure they're snug. Don't over tighten them, or they might strip inside.

There are only a few things to replace in the motor. The bearings, endbell, and replacement rotor. They're fairly inexpensive, $12 for the endbell and bearings, and $20 for the replacement rotor. I would contact Novak before buying those parts, though, especially if it still less than a year old.

If all else fails, do what Platinum said regarding warranty status and repair.

Oh, yeah, one last thing. if you haven't tried yet, try resetting it back to factory settings. The instruction manual says how to do it. I think you have turn everything off, then press and hold the setup button while you turn on your car and radio. Set your throttle, nuetral, and brake. At that point it should be set back to factory, out of the box, settings. It should be set to profile 1 with no other settigns turned on like drag brake. The only light that should be on is the red light.

I hope this information gets you somewhere closer to a resolution.

WsW-WYATT-EARP 09-01-2005 10:02 AM

thanks for the input guys !!!

it happened last night so i will be tearing into it tonight ... hoping that i have a place to start before i start ...

i am wondering about the sensor wires also .. especially if i turn the tires and hit the throttle it takes off ...

STEALTH 09-02-2005 12:27 AM

Sounds like the sensor wires. As mentioned just check them and do a little soldering on them if needed. If all else fails I would strongly contact Charlie Suangka from Novak ([email protected]). Novak gives fantastic customer service and Charlie is a great guy who will take care of any customer! Best of Luck! :nod: